New Bachmann class 20s

making tracks

• 2 weeks later...

I should be getting mine any day now. I'm curious as to whether this model has working lights. The original release didn't. I'll find out soon enough.

John

Can confirm NO lights fitted as the original. Having one on test, sound quality is much better than the original, the sound is basically the latest SWD offering tweaked to Bach's desired spec/functions etc One thing i did notice was that the actual CV settings/reading were different to the settings on the supplied basic CV list. Out of the box I found it ran rather oddly, with the engine notching up too soon, and when stopping the rail joint "clack clack" could still be heard. After a lot of playing around with CV 3 4 5 and 6 it behaved better, still not sure If I like this "rail clacking" or not ? A better quality speaker with enclosure would no doubt improve the sound further. Good range of horn sounds.

HTH

That sounds much, much better than the previous Bachmann/SWD recordings, particularly when it reaches full thrash. However, the turbos on the overrun still don't sound quite right to me.

Still a vast improvement though. :)

Thanks for the reply Kev.

Personally I don´t like the fact that it is not on a function, but that aside, it is a huge improvement over the old SWD chip from 3/4 years ago. It was the first sound chip I bought and installed and for a few months was great but the thrash got to me and I only rarely turn the sound on now. Time for a re-blow maybe?

Do SWD still provide Bachmann with the sound files?

Hello, I have a very basic question.

I'm just starting to sound up my locos and 1 of them is the class 20, in fact it will be my first sound loco.

sooooooo will this chip work with my Lenz stuff and if so how do I know so I can check out my other loco needs?

I had the pleasure of sitting 2ft from one to-day on the platform ar Bridgnorth and the sound is a very good match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DFwrB9FxlI

Cheers

The ESU sound decoders fitted by Bachmann (and, indeed, Hornby) will work perfectly well on your Lenz system. The whole idea with manufacturers following the NRMA standards fr their equipment is so that all decoders will work with all compliant command stations and controllers - the only system that may possibly have problems with this is Hornby's non-compliant Select sytem.

The other thing that may get in the way is if yours is an older system it may not have access to higher function numbers but that won't stop you using most of the sounds, including the engine sounds and varous horns on the class 20.

My initial forays into DCC used an old Lenz Compact controller so I could only get at functions 0 to 4. Most of Bachmann's sound locos don't use anything over about 9 or 10 but Hornby, SWD and Howes sometimes go higher (one of mine goes up to function 15).

it IS better...... but I'll stick with where I am at the moment. Yet to hear anyone that really captures that Chopping sound under heavy load! Probably because no one has actually recorded one under heavy load? Next time DRS take 2 on a tour with 12+ carriages it might be a plan Bryan??

• 3 weeks later...

I take it all back! We had one on Devilla Colliery at the weekend and I am impressed. Clearly a whole new set of sound files, no silly spin cycle top end and generally a very pleasing Chopper. The only missing feature seems to be Bryan's coast / rev /coast that is so evocative of most EE traction that you get on the Howes chip. Under load I would say this recording is best yet!

• 1 month later...

I bought a Bachmann 20, it is 1000% better than the original - mind you it couldn't have been any worse!

The rail joint noise goes off once you increase the speed step.

Personally I think its good, certainly sounds better than my Howes 20 - which always sounded completely thin and tinny!

There again both sound nowhere near as good as the Digitrains Zimo class 20 - this one actually sounds life like!

I bought a Bachmann 20, it is 1000% better than the original - mind you it couldn't have been any worse!

The rail joint noise goes off once you increase the speed step.

Personally I think its good, certainly sounds better than my Howes 20 - which always sounded completely thin and tinny!

There again both sound nowhere near as good as the Digitrains Zimo class 20 - this one actually sounds life like!

It's across all speed steps only got to watch the video above.

E

Yes it is, but less noticeable when the loco is actually on the layout pulling stock from mid to high thrash. And you can't hear it on coasting either.

As I said earlier its still much better than the original and certainly sounds closer to a 20 than the Howes sound chip does, but neither of them two come close to the Digitrains Class 20 on a Zimo chip. ;)

Archived