The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The green thing....one for the oldies..

gordon s

There's a few more things missing that I am reminded of every time I visit the older generation of my family and their contemporaries, especially during the winter.

They didn't buy all their clothing from shops which had shipped it thousands of miles from sweatshops elsewhere in the world. Mum sat in the corner and knitted, and also unravelled and reknitted, wool into warm winter gear; sewed, adjusted and mended clothing in other fabrics to extend its' life to an incredible degree. (MiL celebrates Diamond wedding next year, still wears her 'going away' outfit. That had cost her mother coupons when she got it - and coupons were more than money - it wasn't even new as a going away outfit!)

They didn't heat their houses that much, just the sitting room in the evening, December to February. If you felt the cold you just pulled on more of the handknitted items.

They didn't have vast 'open plan' expanses in their houses. Small rooms and 'putting wood int' hole' to keep the draughts off in cold weather were the way of it; a house was a shelter from wind and rain first and foremost.

They didn't fit plastic framed double glazing to their houses, but had 'reduces carbon footprint' wood frames, and lower energy consumption single glazing. This didn't cause any energy loss because the temperature inside was much the same as outside, as the ice on the inside of the windows bore witness in every bedroom come the morning.

They didn't light the whole house like a Christmas tree. The lights were only ever on in a room in use, water was only heated if someone was taking a bath or doing the washing up, 'Ascot' type water heater preferred. Warm water for your morning wash strictly for infants and invalids.

They largely ate locally sourced and home cooked foodstuffs much of which had never seen a gram of packaging. The food miles often amounted to the walk from the vegetable patch and/or the bicycle ride to the allotment. Everything edible got eaten, hunger meant no one had allergies or food fads. All food wastes recycled to compost or pig and chicken feed type uses.

They didn't insist on everything being fairly new. Repairs were undertaken on everything imaginable. Their shoes were regularly resoled and heeled so they went on forever. Bicycle tyres were 'doubled up' to protect inner tubes and extend the life considerably at the cost of a harder ride.

They simply were not green at all, at least in any way that made large commercial concerns any money...

On the money subject, this is where the truth is revealed: I know the budgets some of these folk live on. Ok, they own their homes, tend to live in places where the council tax is small, have bus passes and free TV licences. Annually they don't even spend the state pension on themselves. They can save on the state pension, and are cheerful and healthy despite the infirmities the years bring.

Interesting side note, one of my wife's senior relatives at one time zipped around in a fast thing with a big engine in the front, guns in the wings and all that, in KGVI's and the nation's service. He reckons he hasn't succeeded in burning as much petrol in his intervening civlian years to the present, despite sixty odd years accrued motorcycling and driving.

• Like 8

I am a retired motor mechanic and in the "old days" during my appernticeship and in the years after, up to about 1975 most things on vehicles were repaired. I.E. water pumps, steering ball joints, suspension legs and shock absorbers, brake shoes were re-riveted, engines, gearboxes, back axles, steering boxes, starter motors, dynamo's,alternators, the list is nearly endless. What you could remove from the vehicle could be repaired. Now we are in the "recycling age" everything on a vehicle is throw away including the vehicle. Nothing is repaired by the new superhuman technitions, they don't have a clue how to do it. A few years ago a friend of mine had been restoring an MGB with a technition, he took it for a test drive and the ign light came on. The tech said it wanted a new alternator costing about £30, I was there at the time and asked him to remove the alt, I stripped it down and tested it, then got some new brushes at the cost of £4 and fitted them, the tech put it back on the car and the light went out, he was gobsmacked, he didn't know they could be repaired. I could ramble on giving other examples but you would only get bored. It is not only the motor trade but all the other similar industries.

webbo

• Like 4

.......the tech put it back on the car and the light went out, he was gobsmacked, he didn't know they could be repaired. I could ramble on giving other examples but you would only get bored.

...Like asking them to fit a new rotor arm in the dizzy...... (I have a few Austin 7's).

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

Every time I battle through a street lined with 4x4s waiting to chauffeur little darlings from school I am reminded of what my mother told me about when I started primary school. This school was 1 1/2 miles from my house - apparently my mum took me there and back on my first day then it was up to me.

Not just my mum, we all did it - at 5 years old. I'm pleased to say I don't have nightmares about it....

• Like 4

Things lasted a lot longer because they were much simpler and usually repairable. Most people couldn't afford to replace things that weren't completely knackered. Make-do and mend were in general the order of the day. Thus there was nothing to recycle, because only completely worn out items were dumped. It was only when the disposable generation arrived on the scene that recycling and the green thing became fashionable.

Dennis

We used to save on clothes in a different way. When I went to secondary school, I was still wearing short trousers for a year or so. They lasted an awful lot longer as they couldnt go through at the knees! You wont even spot a kid in first year primary school in short trousers now. Odd thing is that I dont remember feeling cold, even in winter. I guess that as I used to charge around at full throttle all the time, I kept myself warm!

In winter, a great sledge could be made out of a sheet of corrugated iron - just bend up the front foot of the sheet and you had the fastest thing on the slopes (but God help any poor soul who got in the way - they were liable to be sliced in two!).

As to cars, my first was a Mk2 Vauxhall Viva, that initially burned petrol for fun. Without any real knowledge or experience I changed the rotor arm, adjusted the points (remember them!) and adjusted the spark plug gaps. End result - over 40 mpg. Today it would over £100 for a "black box", plus a load more to fit said "black box".

Guest Max Stafford

People lived relatively close to their workplace too until the 1980s. As a boy in the 1970s I remember seeing lots of men walking to work on the local industrial estate (in a new town as well!) There were also workers bus services.

I think at 47 years old, I must be one of the last wave of people to remember that way of living - I used to walk two miles to school and back despite having a bus pass as I enjoyed the walk better and avoided the morons I would otherwise have shared the bus with. It was obviously a crossroads generation I belonged to as I see many people who would have been my contemporaries who have clearly bought into the status symbol worshipping, materialistic, wasteful, lemming like lifestyle that sprung up in the 1980s and which I myself utterly despise despite having a car (which rarely gets used for the 2 mile journey to work) and a couple of gadgets. I'll admit to using this thing a bit much and texting more than I should but if that's my worst excess I'm not being too bad.

I think though that if we lost internet and mobile communications tomorrow, I'd survive pretty happily.

I've a TV in the corner which I think I've watched a total of five times this year!

Dave.

• Like 2

Sounds like a mantra, Gordon.

Remember the Winter of 1963? I remember the glass of water on my nightstand (except we didn't call it that then) in my bedroom freezing solid overnight.

I'd left home years before my folks got around to having central heating.

Best, Pete.