Hornby Saint - how bad was it?

rovex

On 03/11/2022 at 11:13, rogerzilla said:

A GWR Castle would be nice!  They're good at churning out BR ones, but try and find a GWR one without the nasty ringfield motor (for which you can't get brushes now - they are much shorter than normal).

New tool Castles in GWR livery (Tintagel, Wellington, Drysllwyn & Caerphilly) turn up fairly regularly on eBay for anything between £80 and £120 depending on condition. It’s worth setting up a notification alert for them. 

8 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

New tool Castles in GWR livery (Tintagel, Wellington, Drysllwyn & Caerphilly) turn up fairly regularly on eBay for anything between £80 and £120 depending on condition. It’s worth setting up a notification alert for them. 

I'm watching a Caerphilly but it's already up to £150 with ages to go.  Hattons have one for £175.  Far too much for what it is!

On 03/11/2022 at 11:58, kandc_au said:

Remotor with the kit (computer motor) that is available!
Available on ebay.
Khris

Do you have a link?  The type 8 ringfield in the County and Castle is narrower than the other ringfields and i don't think anyone has found a replacement that will fit.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Do you have a link?  The type 8 ringfield in the County and Castle is narrower than the other ringfields and i don't think anyone has found a replacement that will fit.

No it doesn't fit.

The Castle/County motor mount is too narrow even for the slimline CD motor.

I was looking for other motors of similar dimensions for a while and couldn't find anything.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/11/2022 at 21:32, Coach bogie said:

If you have a Hornby Castle with the loco drive ringfield set up, note the driving wheels are too small for a Castle. Hornby just used the ex Dapol County chassis with the smaller wheels and changed the cylinders.

Mike Wiltshire

That's interesting as when I used a Castle wheelset to fix my county (broken gear), it wouldn't work until I swapped the wheels on the axle, which I put down to the wheel diameters being different.

38 minutes ago, Corbs said:

That's interesting as when I used a Castle wheelset to fix my county (broken gear), it wouldn't work until I swapped the wheels on the axle, which I put down to the wheel diameters being different.

The first loco drive Castles, I bought had the County chassis, with Castle slidebars etc fitted. The tender drive ones had the correct larger wheels.  A friend on mine bought one of the Hornby loco drive Castles, and it too had the smaller wheels. We both sold them on when the revamped Tintagel Castel came out.

Here is the first of the loco drive Castle version. Note how the wheel does not fill the splasher and the arc of the splasher does not match the wheel. Cylinders etc from the original Airfix tender drive loco.

575620914_castle.hornby1.jpg.79ac23999953cf2bea11f95bf2a15734.jpg

Here is the latest version with correct larger size wheels. Wheel fills the splasher and the splasher arc lines up with the axle centre.

1212312778_castle.hornby2.jpg.af4ece7130abd199cad8b7926034786b.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
add images
  • Informative/Useful 4