what colour were the curtains in gwr restaurant cars

Mark,

I've been searching my reference books trying to find a definative answer to this one but so far to no avail. From the colour images I have of restaurant cars (albeit in the BR period) the curtains appear to be a light cream/yellow shade and I doubt the interiors of such vehicles were altered much before they were withdrawn from service. Large stocks of interior fabrics were still held at Swindon from GWR days and I suspect would have been used by the BR(W) for any refurbishments.

I will keep looking for any written answer to your questions.

Regards,

Andy.

thanks andy cream/gold is the best ive come up with on educated guess work

one thing i guess is if no one seems to know i cant be told its wrong

one other question on the subject the tables in h15 were wooden i belive. Would they have table cloths on as again only photo i have they dont im guessing taken while not in service(no plates ect)

cheers mark

one other question on the subject the tables in h15 were wooden i belive. Would they have table cloths on as again only photo i have they dont im guessing taken while not in service(no plates ect) cheers mark

I would suggest that probably only first class would have had tablecloths (or table lamps).

Adrian

Mark,

Michael Harris in his 'Great WesternCoaches from1890' gives a summary of standard coach interiors. For 1936 build vehicles he lists first class upholstery as blue/green tartan and third class as orange/brown 'fan' motif. Previously it had been beige/black and grey/black moquette respectively.

I'm sure I have read somewhere though that many of the refurbished catering vehicles received red leather seat coverings from the 1930's onwards.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

The original bit of upholstery in a Hawksworth Auto Trailer at Llangollen are tan and cream and curtains a goldish colour. I think the red seats in this coach must have been the refurbished ones possibly done during restoration, as they looked new. I have plumped for creamy-gold curtains in my ex-GW coaches. While acknowledgeing it is always good to know things are correct, information on interiors is sadly lacking in the GWR, LNER and LMS books on carriages.

• 2 weeks later...

this is said coach so far still a few bits to do but slowly getting there

post-8283-0-53039900-1316728299_thumb.jpgpost-8283-0-95794400-1316728338.jpgpost-8283-0-19906700-1316728438_thumb.jpgpost-8283-0-33342600-1316728508_thumb.jpg

247 sides and ends scratch built floor and under frame

comet and dartcasting fittings on reflection i think the table lamps are wrong

the curtains are made from an envolope

mark

post-8283-0-76066700-1316728586_thumb.jpg

Archived