Butchering Skaledale!

Hi all,

I'm really tempted to save a lot of time by buying a couple of the new Hornby GWR Signal Boxes and chopping them around to make the Box I'm after (One bay longer and with a gabled (not hipped) roof. They look pretty good models on Hornby's web site.

Question is, how easy are the Skaledale buildings to cut up etc, without actually doing damage?! Anyone done such a thing?

Hi all,

I'm really tempted to save a lot of time by buying a couple of the new Hornby GWR Signal Boxes and chopping them around to make the Box I'm after (One bay longer and with a gabled (not hipped) roof. They look pretty good models on Hornby's web site.

Question is, how easy are the Skaledale buildings to cut up etc, without actually doing damage?! Anyone done such a thing?

I know they're made of resin which is nasty stuff when powdered (from cutting). You will need to protect yourself. Since the Skaledale stuff is painted, hiding the join and matching the colours might be a challenge. Another alternative is to get 2 GWR kits from Ratio (500) and bash those about. The kit is around 16.00 ea. I did a similar thing with the Midland box - except I made mine smaller.

John

• RMweb Gold

I really wouldn't mess with the Skaledale items in the way you suggest. It sounds much easier to do a bit of kit bashing or even scratchbuild the box you want - if you use Modelex etched GWR windows, for example, some of the harder work is already done for you. Modelex also do a kit of a gable-ended box, I believe (etched brass).

• RMweb Premium

Hornby used to do a kit of a slightly different version of the same 'box (R421). They turn up on e-bay, with or without the companion level crossing, and are still available from stockists at about the same price as the Skaledale. The roof needs re-working to remove the raised join lines between the slates. Being polystyrene they'd be a lot easier to kitbash; I have 3 awaiting the treatment. There's a piece on modifying one here: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/Buildings%20and%20Constructions/SignalBox.aspx

Pete

Thanks so much you guys! I somehow thought the idea of 'bashing' Skaledale would be less than straightforward.

Considering all things, including the fact I want to make a start 'right now', I think I'll be doing what I know I should, and that's going the Captain Kernow way... scratchbuild + Modelex windows. Just wish the windows were slightly taller... as in 'my prototype'!

Hope your 'conversions' go well Pete!

Hornby magazine did a feature on chopping up scaledale buildings, he used a mitre saw to put a 45deg cut across a workshop building (Hornby magazine special run item) to make an L shaped workshop perimeter building.

as people have said, dust is bad, wear dust masks.

• RMweb Gold

The Skaledale GWR signalbox does come with some quite nice (etched?) windows although the end ones don't look quite right for proportion and it has doors at both ends which seems unusual to me but there might well be (or have been) a prototype for that arrangement somewhere. It was suggested to me the other day that it might be modelled on the earlier Hornby kit of Dunster signalbox and I suspect Cap'n Kernow will be able to confirm, or otherwise, if that (i.e the real 'box) has doors at both ends.

As noted above, by the Cap'n, the walls are well over scale thickness although I don't think this looks too bad - but it undoubtedly would with interior illumination - and also, less than helpfully, the roof is part of the main moulding (or appears to be). As far as I can see thus far the only way to provide an interior would be to build it separately and drop/slide the 'box over it :scratchhead: , thus making some of the walls even thicker :O In my view the roof would look better for some flashing on the ridges and ventilators and a stove pipe would have to be sorted and correctly positioned on the roof. I think the frame could be erected on the 'slide-in' interior and that could obviously carry other fixtures and fittings for those inclined to add them but the block shelf would have to be 'fiddled' by floor mounting unless you can find enough room to work inside the structure adding a few joists to hang it from; similarly with a diagram.

The colours strike me as somewhat billious so it would definitely benefit from an exterior repaint - at least of the 'chocolate' :huh: framing etc - and significant weathering/toning down. Overall I think it might be feasible to do 'something' :unsure: with it at its existing length but if I were looking for a longer or shorter 'box, or one with an external staircase, I don't think I'd be inclined to start from here.

Archived