Pictures of dirty Yeoman class 59's

Paul B

I'm after a bit of assistance in tracking down some pictures of any of the original 4 Yeoman class 59's in less than pristine condition/in need of a wash etc.

I'm particularly interested in any images of the locos in their original, mainly silver, livery.

This is for a weathering project and I'm trying to gather a variety of material of these in various states of dirt, dust etc.

My own photos of the subject in question were mainly taken early on in their working lives when they seemed to be kept very clean! I also had a hunt around the web and turned up very little.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Paul,

Something that shows up, even on relatively tidy 59s (and 66s) is the fact that exhaust dirt gets pulled down the side of the loco. This only occurs on the side of the exhaust exit, since you're doing an original silver one, more than likely this'll be on the two grill side, before the exhaust exit got moved. To me, this is such a characteristic of the GMs, so I hope you don't mind me commenting about it

This is one of the best pics I have showing the effect, but even so the loco's pretty clean!

post-6899-0-71516300-1315772521_thumb.jpg

jo

Given that they do work quite a distance between Merehead/Whatley-Acton/Dagenham etc the exhaust is a common thing to see on the side of the 59s, the underframes still seem to keep a fair bit of dirt on the sides. 59002(?) was given a recent clean and looks quite tidy, although probably wont last long

NL

Hi Paul,

Something that shows up, even on relatively tidy 59s (and 66s) is the fact that exhaust dirt gets pulled down the side of the loco. This only occurs on the side of the exhaust exit, since you're doing an original silver one, more than likely this'll be on the two grill side, before the exhaust exit got moved. To me, this is such a characteristic of the GMs, so I hope you don't mind me commenting about it

This is one of the best pics I have showing the effect, but even so the loco's pretty clean!

jo

Thanks Jo

As you say the exhaust discolouring is characteristic of these and I've got plenty of shots that illustrate this - most of my pohotos from back in my teens were taken almost front on and from above - I'm therefore lacking in what may have been lurking on the sides of the locos. I do remember seeing some fairly grubby ones with staining on the side louvres, something someone mentioned to me at the weekend too. I have one image that shows this a little but its very poor quality.

Paul

Archived