Townstreet goods shed

• RMweb Gold

This text is also replicated on my blog...

Since finishing the signal box, I've been working on the railway goods shed for Callow Lane. Several years ago, I bought a Townstreet plaster-cast kit, which I felt has a sufficiently 'Midland' appearance to it. I'm aware it's not in the styles of the M.R. goods sheds at Bitton or Yate, for example, but I like it, it cost a lot of money at the time, and so I'm going to use it on my train set.

The gist of these kits is that you fettle the individual cast components to get a good fit, then glue them together with PVA, so this is what I did.

Although the small office features solid, cast windows (which can be disguised and weathered to good effect with paints and varnish), the main part of the shed has some rather nice etched windows, which do need careful trimming to fit the plaster-cast window frames.

Some modifications I'm making as I go along are:

- replacing the plaster-cast valancing with Slaters plastic variety - crisper and more even finish

- replacing the roof sections with thin ply, laminated to card, to which slate strips will have been affixed

- glueing the whole assembly to a Dalerboard sub-base (as seen in the photo), which provides extra strength whilst the model is being assembled and allows it to be handled with much more confidence. When the model is finished, I will cut away the card that obstructs the track.

What I do like about these kits and this material is the way that it takes paint so nicely, resulting in dead matt brick or stone finishes.

post-57-0-37657900-1315752237.jpg

The plaster-cast road-side valancing has mostly been filed away and will be replaced by Slaters plastic valancing in due course.

post-57-0-35620500-1315752250.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Excellent kits that deserve to be used more.I think the RTP ranges would have hit Townstreets sales but if you want something individual you won't beat these from a kit.As Mickey said,they come alive with painting.I think Coachman built one of these for Greenfield a few years back.

• RMweb Gold

This is exactly the one that Coachman built. I was tempted to put an offer in, when he put it up for sale, but I decided to build my own kit. Their range is steadily expanding, and one of their latest products is the 'Citadel' station building, a mighty edifice it looks too!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The shed is more or less finished now, as described on the blog here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-9446-callow-lane-goods-shed-fitting-it-to-the-baseboard/

I don't think I will be adding the doors after all, due to the extremely tight clearances, so I will probably model a pair of them in derelict condition amongst the weeds at the back of the yard...

Archived