shot of  34044 adjacent to  the shed !

All the best.

Chris Knight

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilK said:

Hi

Could you let me know which group owned the other Bournemouth Central layout please and how I might find photographs of it?

Thank you 

Phil

Depends what you mean by "the other" Bournemouth Central layout.

There's the one this thread was started to cover, one under development by the guys who were behind Bournemouth West (since passed to new owners) and, I understand, one that is Railway of the Month in the latest edition of Railway Modeller.

There may be more.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

We've been quiet of late but by no means inactive, despite some recent health issues for a couple of us (now improving with treatment). 

Tom, as ever, has been beavering away at scenery and, along with Ray, has set up a production line for Scots Pines to supply our own needs and those of the Group building the exhibition layout.

I've been (slowly) scratch-building the loco cleaners' bothy/store in between my usual C&W and loco maintenance/repair roles. I took a few up-to-date pictures a couple of weeks back and they will be posted once I get round to editing them.

None of us are getting any younger and gaining access to the inside of the layout has been getting ever slower and less comfortable. Something had to be done, and now it has!

This morning, Ray and I spent a pleasurable couple of hours constructing a "guzunder" trolley/seat unit allowing us to leg our way through (backwards) without banging our heads. Initial testing has proved very successful and it should also make any under-baseboard work much easier. 

Ray owns possibly the world's largest collection of "stuff that is bound to come in handy one day", but it's such a delight when everything one needs just falls to hand and a job goes together with no snags! 

Tom reckons it's a bit on the low side for him so the next job will be an additional seat pad to drop over it for his benefit.     

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 31/10/2015 at 18:36, Ceptic said:

This set of photos centres around the area known as 'Cemetery Junction'. So called, maybe, not due to any railway connection, but due to the meeting of three major roads, the 'Charminster', the 'Lansdowne' and the 'Wimborne', right outside the cemetery gates.

These roads once carried the original, secondary / 'Side roads' Tramcar routes. hence 'Junction'. 

Like many other UK cities and towns, these tram routes were, later, converted to trolleybus operation.

post-7009-0-71327400-1446306763_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-51889800-1446307035_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-95759900-1446307157_thumb.jpg

Peering down through the complex wiring of the newly installed 'T/B Overhead' and it's supporting Standards, some carrying lighting (Night-time shots are on the way), and casting your eyes across to the Wimborne Road Cemetery gates. The most prominent feature of which were the twin 'Monkey Puzzle' trees on 'Sentry duties', outside the gates.

Alas, these twins have since succumbed to outside forces and old age. Though there are at least three still standing, lining the graveyard's avenue.

This family of trees are rarely modelled, and don't appear to be commercially available.

These were hand crafted by one of the Group's members and she / he would be well advised to enter into RTP production. They'd corner the market. 

"This time, next year. Eh, Rodney ?"

post-7009-0-41651100-1446307482_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-82451000-1446307999_thumb.jpg

Swinging around to the right, showing where the Charminster Rd. joins the junction. The trolleybuses in view are a, bought new in 1950, three axle BUT 9641T, heading out of town on route 28, passing an inbound, two axle, 1947/8 built, BUT 9611T on route 29. Seven of which were bought, second hand in 1959, from the operators of the Brighton system. Although being quickly converted to the Bournemouth style of destination display. they didn't receive the typical front staircase and/or exit arrangement. 

post-7009-0-18982500-1446313119_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, a line-side fire encroaches onto a neighbouring property in Beechey Road.

No need to worry folks, it's being attended to, from above and from below.

post-7009-0-60565600-1446313894_thumb.jpg

To wind up with, here's a shot of a couple of interlopers, sneaking onto 71B's patch, surrounded by, but not very well hidden by one Brighton built Riddles Std Cl.4, 2-6-4T, a bevy of M7s and Bulleid 4-6-2s. 

Locos from 'God's Whether Railway' were often well catered for at the MPD,

But,   Brit. No. 70050 'Firth of Clyde', from 66A, Polmadie (of all places) amongst this tribe of Sasanachs / Un-believers ?.

He must be taking his life in his hands !

All the best.

Frank.

I've been trying to identify and repost the lost pix from Frank's post of 31/10/2015. Here's the first few, along with Frank's captions.

1: This plush, fictional, property replaces St. Augustin's Vicarage, so don't go looking for it. The church being across the adjacent St. Augustin's road.  

Ray Huish, and his crew, look to be off to a Bank Holiday Stock Car race meeting at 'Matcham's' Park, (near Ringwood).

2: The view across the junction from St. Augustin's Road, towards the, now camouflaged WW2 pill-box. Disguised as a garden Summer house, complete with roof tiles, gutters  and painted on, false windows. This stood as a reminder of those dark days until the Junction's road layout was re-vamped in the early 1990s.

3: Viewed from the Lansdowne Rd. The traffic signals are fully operational and work to a automatically timed sequence.

(All) Nikon D5000 with Sigma zoom lens.

John

BomoC 2015.09.20_513c.JPG

BomoC 2015.09.20_493c.jpg

BomoC 2015.11.15_585e.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

And some new ones.

1:  Swift & Co, which will be sited alongside the entrance to the Goods Yard; scratch-built by Ray.

2-4: Some shots along the back of the MPD since Tom's been adding his scenic skills to the plasterwork!

So much better!

2: The Cleaners' bothy/store. As yet incomplete, the back will be fitted, and the model bedded in, once the glazing and any interior detail has been added. Scratch-built by me.

3. Multi-kitted bike shed, sign board, etc. by Ray

4: Coaling crane; scratch-built by William.

All taken on Lumix G9 with in-camera focus stacking. 25mm or 42.5mm Lumix lenses.

John

P1200060cr.JPG

P1200095er.JPG

P1200075er.jpg

P1200069er.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 9