Bournemouth Central Model Railway Group

Ceptic

I only came across this thread today after seeing a post on another forum. Splendid model. I wish my late father, who like several others on here lived in the area in the late 1940s could have seen this. It would have transported him back to his childhood. The viaducts in particular are fantastic, but all of the architectural modelling oozes quality.

Many thanks Jon.

As you can see, the group are trying to re-create those 'Blue, (or should it be Green ?) remembered, moments'.

Work is progressing, and as soon as I receive more pictures and/or news, this will be my first port of call.

Kindest regards,

Frank.

• Like 1

Hi

David Ballantine, a Canadian fellow member of the Southern E Mail Group, has asked me to copy you his 2 photo composite of the east end of Bournemouth Central, looking north west, in the last year of steam. David hopes these views will help the work on this amazing layout. He is in North Vancouver, I have recently retired back to Bournemouth.

With every good wish 

John Oliver 

Hello John.

Many thanks for the superb photos, and please express my gratitude to David, on behalf of the Group.

The photo of 34034 is very evocative, with the crowd gathered on the footpath.  It brings back, many, long remembered, mid 1960s departures, viewed from the same spot,

At the time, we lived just a mile away and I used to take my Son, in his pushchair, to catch the last glimpses of real steam power.

The sight and sound of such a 'monster', belching smoke and hissing steam, with wheels spinning and sparking like Catherine wheels, has stayed with him (and me) to this very day...... My son is now a Driver for SWT, so I reckon I didn't do him any harm.

The panoramic shot of the Post Office Sorting Office building will prove to be very useful, as in the majority of photos it is either shrouded in loco exhaust or incomplete.

David's photos are duly downloaded and e-mailed to the Group, with full acknowledgements / copyright status.

Again, Many thanks and Best wishes to you both,

Frank.

Looking at the photo of 34034, the first coach behind appears to be a Gresley, possibly a 'Full Brake' / BG ?. The colour, pictured, is reminiscent of 'Teak' but it must be Maroon or still (I doubt it) Crimson ?.

I remember, on several occasions, that such a vehicle would be stabled in the Up bay at the western end of the station.

Regards.

• 6 months later...

This thread has been slumbering for six months until bumped today.

This leads me to ask the inevitable questions of are there any updates construction wise or maybe some new photos??

Cheers G.

Hi all.

Apologies for the lack of up-dates.

Since I live a considerable distance (in UK terms) from the Group, the majority of news comes via e-mail. The most recent being back in September, last.

Many thanks for the bump, andrew_m and aussiebrfan. 

The latest news, is that work is continuing on the cemetery's Monkey Puzzle trees, the trolleybus overhead and lighting for both the Cemetery Junction and the Holdenhurst Road.

These haven't been without their own setbacks, re-wires (I.e. street lighting and the trolleybus wiring don't mix, the whole caboodle goes live),  re-thinks, plan Bs, Cs, etc.

The trees are being, individually, hand crafted, copied from old photographs, as there are a lot less of them now, especially after the storms of 1987. No RTP here (A little elsewhere tho', to complete the picture)

P.S. Edit. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/4733730436/in/set-72157624356062652/

Relying, again, on Alwyn Ladell,  a link to postcards from the time when the cemetery was the proverbial "Boot Hill" of the town. Originally situated on land which was, then, outside the northernmost town boundary. The L&SWR were also forced to take this boundary route to avoid the town's more affluent, influential, residents.

post-7009-0-35355400-1388846333_thumb.jpg

A late 1980s pic, showing the depletion of the cemetery's avenue of Monkey Puzzle trees. The one on the right looks rather poorly.

post-7009-0-81677200-1388847243_thumb.jpg

A present day image, courtesy of GE. Hardly any avenue left and, still, no trolleys.

Once these sections are finished, the promised photographs will be posted.

All the best & A Happy New Year !

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

Hi all

A very good friend of mine is undertaking much of the scenic work on this, so I know it's excellent work. The only problem today seems to be that I can't see any photos on any of the layout threads. Is it just my PC or is it something more widespread?

Many thanks

exmoordave

Hi all A very good friend of mine is undertaking much of the scenic work on this, so I know it's excellent work. The only problem today seems to be that I can't see any photos on any of the layout threads. Is it just my PC or is it something more widespread? Many thanks exmoordave

Hello Dave,

Hmmm, ...seems strange...Maybe these earlier images are over the forum's, present, size limits ?....Might be worth posting the question onto the forum's 'Help' section.

In the meantime,.I'll check them for size and try sending you the pics, on this thread, via PM.

Let us know if they arrive.

All the best.

Frank.

Hi Frank

Many thanks for that, but still no sign of any photos I'm afraid. In fact I've just noticed that there is a notice that has appeared at the top of the page saying that Javascript is disabled. I certainly don't remember doing any disabling (New Years Eve?? Hic.....) but I have updated my Java programme recently??? No other problems with other sites on the Web, so that's why I asked the question. My understanding of computer faults is VERY limited, as I'm always afraid if I attempt to dive in, it'll make the fault ten times worse. Perhaps I should fetch a hammer.......

Many thanks again Frank. All the best & Happy New Year

Dave

Hi Frank Many thanks for that, but still no sign of any photos I'm afraid. In fact I've just noticed that there is a notice that has appeared at the top of the page saying that Javascript is disabled. I certainly don't remember doing any disabling (New Years Eve?? Hic.....) but I have updated my Java programme recently??? No other problems with other sites on the Web, so that's why I asked the question. My understanding of computer faults is VERY limited, as I'm always afraid if I attempt to dive in, it'll make the fault ten times worse. Perhaps I should fetch a hammer....... Many thanks again Frank. All the best & Happy New Year Dave

Hi Dave.

I'm no computer whizzo myself, and I can't explain why other images are visible. Like I say, it might be worth asking on the 'Site Information & Notices' / 'Forum Rules, Notices, Faults & Help', found at the top of 'Home' page.

Or, you could have a go at enabling Javascript yourself. There's some guides here...https://www.google.co.uk/#q=how+to+enable+javascript

All the best,

Frank.

Hi all.

Apologies for the lack of up-dates.

Since I live a considerable distance (in UK terms) from the Group, the majority of news comes via e-mail. The most recent being back in September, last.

Many thanks for the bump, andrew_m and aussiebrfan. 

The latest news, is that work is continuing on the cemetery's Monkey Puzzle trees, the trolleybus overhead and lighting for both the Cemetery Junction and the Holdenhurst Road.

These haven't been without their own setbacks, re-wires (I.e. street lighting and the trolleybus wiring don't mix, the whole caboodle goes live),  re-thinks, plan Bs, Cs, etc.

The trees are being, individually, hand crafted, copied from old photographs, as there are a lot less of them now, especially after the storms of 1987. No RTP here (A little elsewhere tho', to complete the picture)

Once these sections are finished, the promised photographs will be posted.

All the best & A Happy New Year !

Happy New Year to you sir, thanks for the update.

I eagerly await some new images, cheers

G.

Hi Frank Many thanks for that, but still no sign of any photos I'm afraid. In fact I've just noticed that there is a notice that has appeared at the top of the page saying that Javascript is disabled. I certainly don't remember doing any disabling (New Years Eve?? Hic.....) but I have updated my Java programme recently??? No other problems with other sites on the Web, so that's why I asked the question. My understanding of computer faults is VERY limited, as I'm always afraid if I attempt to dive in, it'll make the fault ten times worse. Perhaps I should fetch a hammer....... Many thanks again Frank. All the best & Happy New Year Dave

Hi Dave.

Have you had any luck with viewing these images ?.

Alternatives would be, if you could PM me your E-mail address, then, I could send you the pics directly.

Or, I could post the question, myself, onto the aforesaid RMweb sub-forum.

All the best,

Frank. 

Hi Frank

Very many thanks for your further note, and HURRAY!!!, I now have pictures. I can't take the credit for it though. It's all down to my son's girlfriend, who gave my PC a bit of a talking-to and a quick MOT. So I can now happily enjoy the work of others in this forum! 

So many thanks once again for your concern and kindness, it is very much appreciated.

With best wishes to you

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Frank

Very many thanks for your further note, and HURRAY!!!, I now have pictures. I can't take the credit for it though. It's all down to my son's girlfriend, who gave my PC a bit of a talking-to and a quick MOT. So I can now happily enjoy the work of others in this forum! 

So many thanks once again for your concern and kindness, it is very much appreciated.

With best wishes to you

Dave

Glad you've got it sorted, Dave.

All's well that ends well, eh Gromit !

Cheers.

Frank.

• 1 month later...

Hello from the USA

I'm writing because I'm very interested in what you are building. I lived in Parkstone from 62-64 and have many fond memories of train spotting and traveled to London many times from Bournemouth Central.

I'm working on a OO layout here and want Central Station to be the main focus. I'm having trouble finding layout plans for the track layout and buildings as they were in the early 60's. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello from the USA

I'm writing because I'm very interested in what you are building. I lived in Parkstone from 62-64 and have many fond memories of train spotting and traveled to London many times from Bournemouth Central.

I'm working on a OO layout here and want Central Station to be the main focus. I'm having trouble finding layout plans for the track layout and buildings as they were in the early 60's. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Hi John,

For track layout, standard response is to take a look at www.old-maps.co.uk. Know that drawings of buildings have been published but I don't recall where.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from the USA

Thanks, John

Hi,

I have two sources for you to use to help you with your track plan of Bournemouth Central.

The first is by giving you the link to a website my cousin and I created which covers all our recollections of our childhood holidays which we spent together, largely in Bournemouth.  We were both based in the suburbs of London and were avid train spotters (with the Southern Region being our favourite) and amateur railway modellers.  Consequently much of the website is devoted to those hobbies and somewhere amongst the 24 pages there are the track plans for Bournemouth Central, loads of photos and links to further reference material.  As the site was only meant to be a vehicle for us to enjoy recalling those times you will find much of it irrelevant but you should be able to skim past the personal stuff to get to the bits that interest you!  The link is https://sites.google.com/site/cliveandtrevorv2/

The other source is a bit more difficult unless you happen to be into train simulators.  As you will discover by reading the above website in chronological order, we discovered the joys of train sims whilst developing the website and have since adopted that as a hobby and have gone on to build a complete route from Wareham to Brockenhurst (including the Bournemouth West spur and the additional loop to Brockenhurst via Broadstone and Ringwood).  To access this you will need to already have (or buy) Train Simulator 2014 (from here - http://www.railsimulator.com/index.php) and then you can download our route (it's free!) from here - http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=32313.  Try a few Google searches for TS2014 videos - the quality is amazing.  All the topography is dead accurate as is the track layout and building placement.  So, if you get that far you'll be able to drive a Bulleid Battle of Britain along those hallowed tracks all set in the late 50s and early 60s.

I'm sure these two sources will interest most visitors to this thread.

If I can be of any more help let me know.

Clive

• Like 2

Hello from the USA

Thanks, John

Hi John.

Apologies for not replying sooner. Any new posts on to this topic don't appear to 'Flag up' at this end, like they used to.

It was thanks to 'Snakes's PM that I'm now aware of the 'new' comments.

Regarding the station's plans, I'm afraid my set are on loan at the moment. I'll get something sorted out in the next couple of days and get back to you.

Regards,

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from the USA

Thanks, John

Hello 'J'  for Johnny,....." Plans acquired,.....Are you receiving ?, ....Over"

Hello 'J'  for John,....." 1 : 480 Plans acquired,.....Are you receiving ?, ....Over"

Bump

Edited by Ceptic

Many thanks for answering Robin's question, Paul.

There have been several enquiries regarding the layout's location and requesting the possibility of a viewing. Some posted within this thread, and some via a PM.

The majority of these requests have been forwarded to the Group. Each one has been politely declined. Security being the prime concern*.

As stated previously, when the Group consider it timely, to open the layout for private viewing, then, hopefully, I will be able to post the details here.

*The Group may be finding it somewhat irksome that several of the pictures posted here, are cropping up on Google and elsewhere, hence, (This is my opinion, only. I could be wrong) maybe, this is the reason behind the shortage of updates ?

In the meantime, again, as stated previously,  I've been in contact with a new group, The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group, supplying plans and photos.

These guys are starting on a 4mm. scale layout, modelling the terminus to the entrance to the Branksome Carriage sidings. 

Hopefully soon, I'll have some pictures to post.

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic