Bournemouth Central Model Railway Group

Ceptic

Hello All.....coupled with apologies...

...It's been some time since I posted any sort of newsworthy update of this layout.

This latest news stems from the fresh aerial images of the Central station area, added to the 'Britain from Above's archive. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=Bournemouth

Several of them pick out the overhead details of buildings the Group are modelling, namely the G.P.O. Sorting Office, Kennedys (next door), and, on the other (South) side of the tracks, the 'Institute' and 'Fish Depot'.

These aerial photos were shot by the high-flying photographers of 'Aerofilms', without whom, track, ground, building plans of the era would be that harder to obtain.  .....It may have been a routine 'job' to these guys, but.......Respect, and Thank you.

All the Best.

Edited by Ceptic

Nice one Frank, I can even make out my old shop on the one covering Holdenhurst Road. But forgive me asking, you've changed your avatar, what's with the 'Wyrm'?

Hi Paul.

The 'Wyrm' (although a different design) was my original avatar, when I first joined RMweb.

This one's based on the military vehicle insignia / stencil, carried by the 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division.

The change is in commemoration to the 70th. anniversary of the battle for Hill 112, July 10th.- 22nd.. 1944.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jupiter_(1944)

My 'old Man', being in the 5th. Batallion, Wiltshire Regiment. got mixed up in this.

All the best,

Frank. 

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This one's based on the military vehicle insignia / stencil, carried by the 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division.

Hi Frank,

Out of interest, this insignia was also used by The Wessex Regiment (Rifle Volunteers). I was in C Coy. 1st Bat. TA 30 years (blimey) ago!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wessex_Regiment

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

Out of interest, this insignia was also used by The Wessex Regiment (Rifle Volunteers). I was in C Coy. 1st Bat. TA 30 years (blimey) ago!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wessex_Regiment

Many thanks, nigcuberail.

Without me being an expert, and not wishing to get in too deep a detail on such matters, I'd like to add that, from it's inception, the 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division,  a.k.a..'The Fighting Wessex Wyverns'  drew from,  relied on,  and were manned by many personnel from a T.A. Regiment 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43rd_(Wessex)_Infantry_Division

My Dad,  a.k.a. 'The old Man', did his initial training with the 'Sussex Regiment'.  One of many T.A. Regiments, of that time.

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic

• 7 months later...

Hi gentlemen---have  trawled through the preceding and have really enjoyed it--It is very relevent to me as I am developing B.West/Central etc.What with accurate local info. and all the wonderfull attachments (flicker/the two lads account etc) it paints a very broad and interesting

picture of the past.

• Like 1

sorry chaps--not for the first time I have managed to send an unfinished communication!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this info with me and others.

Question please----am just finishing off B Central down platform opposite the shed----

what was the make up of the vertical signal gantry support--truss?Cannot fin a decent picture.

Also on a shed track plan I noticed tracks leading out of the rear of the loco shed and therefore under one of the bridge arches--was this used in the 1950,s?

best regards,

Ed Plant

• Like 1

Also on a shed track plan I noticed tracks leading out of the rear of the loco shed and therefore under one of the bridge arches--was this used in the 1950,s?

best regards,

Ed Plant

There was a siding between the shed, and the up road, which before 1936 split into a second siding just before Beechey Road bridge, but when the shed was extended in 1936 the split was set back to the other side of the bridge. The siding was used for holding stock for adding to up trains, or locos coming off shed, and waiting for the road working light in the up direction. It was taken out of use on the 3rd of November, and removed by the 11th of December 1966. 

sorry chaps--not for the first time I have managed to send an unfinished communication!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this info with me and others.

Question please----am just finishing off B Central down platform opposite the shed----

what was the make up of the vertical signal gantry support--truss?Cannot fin a decent picture.

best regards,

Ed Plant

Hi Ed.

The gantry's support, on the 'Up' side, was an 'A' frame, made up of two 'C' channel-section legs, reinforced with horizontal braces with crossed, diagonal lattices, in between. The position of which was lost by the end of 1966, after the Up platform was extended westwards to cater for 12 car EMUs. The 'Down' side support was incorporated into the platform's canopy supports, and it's outer wall. ----  See sketch.

Regarding the track which 'appears' to lead out of the rear, in line with the loco shed's Road No.1.....This was, in fact, a short Headshunt off the siding Paul, aka bike2steam, mentions. This was at a lower level than the shed roads, and served a un/loading dock facility at the rear of the shed. (See sketch) There is a rather shadowy 1960s photo of this, on p.80 of Ivo Peters' Southern Steam Album.

post-7009-0-92644300-1422360608_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

....This was, in fact, a short Headshunt off the siding Paul, aka bike2steam, mentions. 

Thanks Frank, I forgot to mention the head-shunt, I was referring to some George Pryer ( a good man much missed, he helped so much with signalling advice at Swanage) drawings in my possession, and was puzzled what the small siding was for ??? :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your time,effort and undoubted help--I now have more info. than I ever thought of getting.

I am just about ready now to put in Bournemouth Central down platform canopies,the gantry (scratch built I think--is their a source of suitable x type truss /if not will use the open version) and install the O scale York Modelmakers D110 platform canopy brackets--these really look the part. I have my reduced version of the train shed + platforms in place.I will post some pics when done--with the needed help of a friend!!

My interest in the rear of the shed has a lot to do with limited loco storage as determined by my reduced layout design--I may now use this to relieve the situation.

My overall interest stems from numerous first 2 weeks in August hols in the 1950,s and lots of wonderful memories,especially of B.Central--however I have modelled West station (which I unfortunately never visited at that time) in more detail.If of interest will provide pics/video--with help from 250 Bob.

Frank,Paul and others,many thanks for your kind help,

regards,Ed

• Like 3

Hi gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your time,effort and undoubted help--I now have more info. than I ever thought of getting.

I am just about ready now to put in Bournemouth Central down platform canopies,the gantry (scratch built I think--is their a source of suitable x type truss /if not will use the open version) and install the O scale York Modelmakers D110 platform canopy brackets--these really look the part. I have my reduced version of the train shed + platforms in place.I will post some pics when done--with the needed help of a friend!!

My interest in the rear of the shed has a lot to do with limited loco storage as determined by my reduced layout design--I may now use this to relieve the situation.

My overall interest stems from numerous first 2 weeks in August hols in the 1950,s and lots of wonderful memories,especially of B.Central--however I have modelled West station (which I unfortunately never visited at that time) in more detail.If of interest will provide pics/video--with help from 250 Bob.

regards,Ed

Yes please ED.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi gentlemen,

regards,Ed

Nearly kicked off a club layout of Bournemouth West back in the early/mid 70s. Be very interested to see yours.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Ed has asked me to post a series of photos that I have taken of his layout, ref Bournemouth Central and Bournemouth West.

This is the first of them, as a test, tomake sure it worked. The rest will follow shortly.

No doubt my good friend Edward(alias Oliver Bullied) Plant will comment on the photos shortly.

Regards Bob

post-21-0-77509200-1426978522_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well that certainly captures the look and feel of Bournemouth Central. Very well done there.

Not sure about the Midland signalbox though.....

Thanks for spotting that Peter, I shall reprimand Ed at the soonest opportunity.

Action point for Ed.

1. Attend to signal box before next visit of 250BOB, or serious leg pulling will ensue.

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 1

Hi gentlemen,

Thanks Bob for helping me broadcast the pics--it was important for me to show what had been achieved on the back of all the help received from friends on RMWeb--in particular Frank and Paul.It will never be a strictly accurate model but it will be good enough hopefully to transport me back in time to those wonderful August holiday times on B.Central in the mid/late 1950,s. 

Peter--Bob has issued me with a stern warning reference signal box fidelity and I will attempt to do better in future---my limited dexterity /scratch building ability,  the price/quality of the Midlands box at £8.30 and its broad similarity to the real thing determined the compromise.Future pics will also reveal the other side of the same signal box at B.West--need to get a splash of green on and some signage.

Thank you again for your help--may meet up one day at an RMWeb event--Bob and I are travelling to Bournemouth (day trip on the railway) on the 13th of May to savour Bournemouth,s (railway etc) delights.

regards,

Ed

ps I tried to send the pics myself but the RMWeb limitation (or probably my limitation) prevented this.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen-----yet another query and request for help reference B.mth. C. station--this time it involves the down platform as you enter from the west.  My impression of the station is limited spacewise such that I cannot model outside/roadside of the platform. Therefore no external canopy or any add on building in that area is possible.I have the platform and canopy with truss running lengthwise but I am having difficulty in deciding exactly how the platform should end roadside--was it part covered in running along below  the canopy top,supported by girders + old style steel security fencing between the uprights?

Pics of this area especially in the 50,s are few and far between.

regards,

Ed