Bournemouth Central Model Railway Group

Ceptic

• RMweb Gold

But why all the secrecy ? I for one would love to watch the development and see it if I ever got the chance.

As I'm sure many would, including me, but the location might be a private property or one in an area that might attract the attention of undesirables if they saw a lot of groups going in and out. I know of another layout that used to be in a warehouse in the area that had to rely on substantial security systems and doors to safeguard it from opportunist thieves who tried to force the door. Sadly a fixed layout has these risks for viewing by a wider audience and that's what the builders have chosen for it's safety.

At least we have an active correspondent who can give updates :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Latest photos of the modelling developments at Wimborne Road / Cemetary Junction.

post-7009-0-58754300-1337802607_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-02155100-1337802665_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-57174700-1337802784_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-01730700-1337802921_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-28222000-1337803018_thumb.jpg

Note the intricate attention to details, especially, the trees, the War Memorials, just inside the gates, the gates themselves, the gardener(Grave Attendant) with his barrow and the trolleybus Conductor, sporting his 'Summer' uniform.

Simply marvellous, meticulous model making. What else can I say ?

With thanks to All for their comments and encouragement.

Kindest regards, Frank.

p.s. All photographs are BCMRG Copyright

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 6

The six wheeled trolleybuses were only used on the 25 route between Portman Road, Boscombe and Westbourne as far as I remember.

Steve

Er....Not quite,. Steve....

To cut a long story, short...

The mainstay of the Bournemouth Corporation's trolleybus fleet were all three-axle, six-wheelers*. Sunbeam MS2s dating from the systems inception, in 1933/4.

This 103 strong fleet was augmented in 1950, with the addition of twenty four, new, 8' wide x 30' long BUT 9641Ts, again, six-wheelers. As you say, these were primarily used for the Westbourne - Boscombe and the Christchurch routes, but could also be found on any secondary service, 26 / 28 / 30 / 31 / 34 for example.

In 1958/9 , twenty nine, new Sunbeam MF2B two-axle, four-wheelers were delivered. (One destroyed in the fire at Weymanns Bodyworks before delivery)

These, generally, were used to replace some of the aging pre-war Sunbeams, although they would, often, be seen working alongside the remainder.

Peak hour services were boosted, also in 1959, by the aquisition of seven, smaller, 1948 built, ex-Brighton Corporation (4) / Brighton, Hove & District (3), four-wheeled BUT 9611Ts. In fact, it was during the 30's. 40's and 50's, that Bournemouth's trolleys were booming (If you'll pardon the pun)

The trolleys shown in the pics are Corgi's OOC rendition of the 1950 batch of BUT 9641Ts. I.e. Re-liveried LT Q1s, (A passing resemblance, but not quite like the real thing)

Corgi also produced.the, more accurate, ex-Brighton trolleys in Bournemouth colours.

* There were trials of two experimental four-wheeled (One a single decker) and one six wheeled vehicles back in 1933, but these looked too much like a contemporary petrol engined bus (of which two, the AECs, were converted into)

HTH.

Regards, Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can only echo what others have said. A great layout which captures so much of the atmosphere of the place - although certainly many years to go yet until finished.

When I was very young (1970s), there was a model of the MPD on the exhibition circuit (main participant was the older brother of someone I was at school with). Clearly this project has been going on for a long time and I wondered whether that MPD model was the starting point for this project.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

I don't know how i missed this layout!, my god what a model you are working on thier.

I think you sent me a copy of the track plan for Bounemouth a week or so ago,as i plan to build the station area myself,keep up the good work.

All the best

Darren

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Frank. This is the first time I've looked at your layout - the January posting with the viaduct photos caught me eye. Splendid. It's taken me 7 weeks (so far) to build 2 viaducts of my own, so I can appreciate the time it took to build yours.

What process was used to make the trees, as in the golf course etc in your December 14, 2011 post? They are beautifully done and I may need a few examples of a similar size. I'll keep an eye on this thread as it develops.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Part 3.

post-7009-0-52690600-1315844137_thumb.jpg

The other end of of the Goods Shed, showing the West yard, weighbridge, and the travelling crane. The northern rmost siding once formed part of the original line into the Bournemouth (East),1870 terminus. Just beyond this, the main-line is hidden in a cutting.

post-7009-0-12908900-1315845785_thumb.jpg

Showing the Depot's Signal Box, the East yard's sidings with the Bournemouth Corporation Transport's power station's private siding, with coal unloading staithes, on the extreme left.

Once the'Ferrocrete Concrete' private siding and distribution depot. When viewed from a passing train, it gave the impression of an extended SR 'Provender' building.

Modelled here, in it's later days, after being taken over by Whitbreads (read :- Strong & Co, of Romsey), for use as a much more useful beverage distribution centre. lt suited the area, as just around the corner, was a road borne centre for 'Brickwoods Excellent Ales' of Portsmouth.

Who remembers those ?.

Ooooh Dear. All this typing has brought on a sudden thirst.

Having just come across this site I just could not resist correcting some facts about who it was built for and occupied by .

It was built around 1948 for Eldridge Pope, Dorchester Brewers, in fact we had some lodgers who worked for Waygood Otis and were installing the lift which was in the tower on the building and Kellys 1965 still lists Eldridge Pope as the occupier, Latter years around 1975 it became a South Coast depot for Astbury and Maddley a Midland heavy duty plumbing distributor and when I say heavy up to 12" pipe and fittings or even bigger, all goods brought by road from Birmingham the siding was not used. This building was demolished a few years back when acquired by Dave Wells Properties and a new office depot complex built.

The model is a good reproduction but I certain it was of a buff brick construction I may have a photo taken from St Clements Church Tower. Murphy law just found it had just been demolished 2008 and was a heap of rubble

With reference Brickwoods (in my opinion the bilge water from Pompey Harbour) in Windham Road they were taken over by Whitbreads and moved to Romsey the building was then taken over by Ace Office Supplies. I dont believe Whitbreads ever used the St Clements Road site.

Lived all my life within yards of these.

I do have some images that if I could attach would illustrate some older buildings such as the gate keepers cottage when Cleveland Road was a level crossing

• Like 1

Found on the Streets of Bournmouth site shows Dearden and Wade also Swifts meat merchants,

Dearden and Wade was actually the Wilberforce Hotel originally

A trawl through the Streets of Bournemouth web site will reveal more like Northcote Road shows B Road Service repairs shop formerley S.Rail adjacent to the line.

I have tried to read the nunber on the Morris 1000 as i have feeling it could be mine not far from home.

post-16969-0-94729000-1349211512_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A belated Hello.... and my profound apologies to darren01, Physicsman and The Major's Batman, for not responding earlier.

I try to put it down to my being easily distracted,... i.e...Easily Led (According to my school report\)

Right...First things, first...

Darren01, ..To model a station of this size, is one heck of a (long term) project. I gather you've got the space,.. but have you got the team, friends, back-up, to keep it progressing ?.

i've still got my plans of a loft based layout, modelling the line, Westward, from the Central, including the Bourne Valley triangle's viaducts, into Bournemouth West.

This was going to be a 'One Man Job'...But...as years went by, it sooner , or later...became clear that it was never going to happen.

I've, since brought the B'm'th West section downstairs and that's what I'm working on.

Let us know how you're getting on.

Regards, Frank

Hello Frank. This is the first time I've looked at your layout - the January posting with the viaduct photos caught me eye. Splendid. It's taken me 7 weeks (so far) to build 2 viaducts of my own, so I can appreciate the time it took to build yours.

What process was used to make the trees, as in the golf course etc in your December 14, 2011 post? They are beautifully done and I may need a few examples of a similar size. I'll keep an eye on this thread as it develops.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,.. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance.

Now, to explain my position regarding the BCMRG's layout. I am merely the middle-man.

I act, with their permission, to release up-dates onto this forum.

I have nothing to do with the high standards of modelling displayed, although, I have kept in touch when times have demanded it.

Recent phone calls have resulted in the following response regarding the layout's trees.

Each tree is, individually, hand crafted, based on the Group's surveys of the area.

Here's the gist...The basic method is to use telescopic brass tubing as the spine / trunk of the tree and adding / soldering the stripped wire core of an electric cable to the outside., leaving 2", or so, clear at it's base and where you need a branch sprouting. Once the shape has been sorted, the trunk / thick branches can be covered with tape (Masking, or somesuch)

To give this armature support, and re moveability, a locating mount needs to be fabricated, depending on the trunk tube's diameter and where it's located, on the flat, or, on an embankment.

This sketch might prove helpful.

post-7009-0-18440100-1353192784_thumb.jpg

HTH

Regards, Frank.

P.S. The group may have to consider getting professional help with the 'Monkey Puzzle' trees. of which, there are quite a few in the area.

Cheers

Edited by Ceptic

Having just come across this site I just could not resist correcting some facts about who it was built for and occupied by .

It was built around 1948 for Eldridge Pope, Dorchester Brewers, in fact we had some lodgers who worked for Waygood Otis and were installing the lift which was in the tower on the building and Kellys 1965 still lists Eldridge Pope as the occupier, Latter years around 1975 it became a South Coast depot for Astbury and Maddley a Midland heavy duty plumbing distributor and when I say heavy up to 12" pipe and fittings or even bigger, all goods brought by road from Birmingham the siding was not used. This building was demolished a few years back when acquired by Dave Wells Properties and a new office depot complex built.

The model is a good reproduction but I certain it was of a buff brick construction I may have a photo taken from St Clements Church Tower. Murphy law just found it had just been demolished 2008 and was a heap of rubble

With reference Brickwoods (in my opinion the bilge water from Pompey Harbour) in Windham Road they were taken over by Whitbreads and moved to Romsey the building was then taken over by Ace Office Supplies. I dont believe Whitbreads ever used the St Clements Road site.

Lived all my life within yards of these.

I do have some images that if I could attach would illustrate some older buildings such as the gate keepers cottage when Cleveland Road was a level crossing

A much delayed welcome to RMweb, Major's Batman. Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.

I must admit to getting somewhat confused regarding my descriptions of the buildings. Fading memories ?

Many thanks for setting me straight with your extra information and photos. Duly noted and amended.

Indeed, the building modelled is that of the Eldridge Pope depot. If viewed from the other side (using a mirror?) you'll see a hand painted headboard depicting 'Eldridge Pope, Huntsmsns Ales

Members of the Group visited the Eldridge Pope warehouse in the late 1980s. In fact, the chap behind the desk, there, was, himself, a railway enthusiast.

Maybe Dave Wells ?.

They describe it as being constructed from pre-fabricated concrete. That's the impression I got from a passing train. The trackside facia and platform resembled that of a lengthened SR Provender store. The platform, itself, looked to be constructed from sections of those produced by SR's Exmouth Junction concrete works.

Judging by maps and G.A. Pryer's & A.V. Paul's 'Track Layout Diagrams', the siding served two buildings. The other being 'Stonecrete' ? or 'Ferrocrete' ?.

The layout diagram states 'Stonecrete'. I've checked in Kelly's, but neither are listed

Your building date of 1948 ties in with this 1947 aerial photo, where the site looks to be under development.

post-7009-0-91075000-1353322577.jpg

The two buildings are shown in this 2007 Google shot.

post-7009-0-53141700-1353323189_thumb.jpg

Moving on to the 'Swifts' building, seen behind the trolleybus, in your photo (The Group have this pic. and plan to model this scene),

post-7009-0-87764800-1353325029_thumb.jpg

I can remember the Green tiled top fascia of the frontage with it's Swift in the circular panel, but, can you remember the wording ?

As a kid, I used to have a Saturday morning delivery job at 'Eastmans' the butchers, across the road, in the late 1950s. X marks the non-existent spot in this 1983 shot.

post-7009-0-57001700-1353326229_thumb.jpg

'Eastmans' were part of the Dewhurst chain and they also had a large cold store, in the jumble of buildings behind the shop. I recall a rep. (from Swifts ?) visiting the shop to check / maintain the scales. Were Swifts part of the American company ?, British 'Swift & Swallow' ? or 'Weddal Swift' ?

A parting aerial shot of the station, pre-1928 extension, showing the Bournemouth 'A' box and both down-side bays.

post-7009-0-20107200-1353327931_thumb.jpg

Again, many thanks Majors Batman and sorry for the late reply.

Cheers, Frank.

• Like 2

I knew this area well, as my Granny lived in Cotlands Road (now a carpark)- in fact we were living with her when a bomb wiped out a house at the end of the street nearest where it joined Holdenhurst Road (just around the corner from the Fire Station). Later we moved to Carlton Road, just around the corner from the trolleybus garage and its big wooden cooling towers. I used to go to Saturday Morning Pictures at the Odeon and the Rialto(?) ABC(?) Right opposite where my Gran lived, there was an alley that ran through to Holdenhurst Road and one of the buildings beside it was (I think) a Cold Storage Warehouse, with a basement full of Mechanical engines with shaft and belt drives that could be seen through the ground level windows along the alley - absolutely fascinating for a very small boy of about three, to watch. That is now a VERY large insurance company building.

Both my sisters were 'ampshire 'ogs, being born there long berore it was taken over by Darsett. Shuttled around the country, but the RAF sent me back and I lived in Southborne for a few years, which is how I came to know E Rankine Grey (ERG) who had a basement "shop" down an alley in the back end of Boscombe, before being sent on my travels again, and now reside at the other end of the country

I have to say that there is some superb modelling being done by the group.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Hi Shortliner.

Now, there's a funny thing,... talk about coincidences.

I used to deliver your proverbial 'Eastmans' package to an address in Carlton Road. Can't remember the number. Somewhere halfway along, on the RH side, from Southcote Rd. ISTR

.And Saturday morning, at the Odeon...late 1940s... Yep, I was there.... Used to call in for my mate Geoff, in Portchester.Rd, through a cut, have a quick look over the Central's up side railings, then, along the Holdenhurst Rd and cut through, around the back of the fire station, over the bomb site*, across the Christchurch Rd., and join the queue.

The main news feature, as I remember, was all 'Brumas the Bear' (The first Polar Bear cub to be born in London Zoo). I can still remember the sing-along..."B-R-U-M-A-S, That spells Brumas....."....follow the bouncing ball...

Did you ever get presented with your 'Odeon' regulars badge ?

Dear me. ..What days....

Thanks for the memories, Shortliner

.*That must have been the bomb that hit the Metropole Hotel, in May 1943

Edited by Ceptic

• 5 months later...

Hi all.

Here's the latest instalment. forwarded to me, yesterday.

The Bourne Valley viaducts now have their surrounding contoured ground, hard shell base completed. A lift-out section, between the two, has been added. This is to provide access to any train in trouble on the far viaduct.

Point rodding and signal cabling have been inserted, running from the Gas Works Junction signal box. This has full interior detail with lighting.

The roads and pavements have been marked out, along with the positions of the houses in the vicinity. Note the 'Dragon's Teeth', WW2 anti-armoured vehicle defences.

Street and building lighting are planned for the future.

post-7009-0-59566800-1366731528_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-55547900-1366800803_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-69607800-1366800481_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-72827300-1366807304_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-47658800-1366801096_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-54637600-1366801224_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-47372800-1366801454_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-97322700-1366801606_thumb.jpg

Work on the trolleybus overhead, in the Cemetery Junction area, is still on-going. Pictures will follow, once completed.

If anyone has any queries concerning the layout, do let me know, and I will pass them on.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited to add to the initial  photo..

Kind regards,  

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 10

Hello, again.

The latest set of pictures showing various houses temporarily in place. The one nearest isn't entirely accurate, just representative. The original semi-detached, on the site, was replaced by  a newer, low-rise, apartment block, some years ago. This model will feature internal lighting, whereas, being your average 'Scaledale' the houses between and behind the viaducts will not.  

post-7009-0-61433800-1366805706_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-99758500-1366805859_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-84158900-1366806061_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-65397400-1366806153_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-59595900-1366806306_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-47548800-1366806558_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-49148800-1366806438_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-42039800-1366806828_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 12

Thanks for the update Frank.

Some of the "dragons teeth" are still in place even today.

Yep, indeed, Peter.

Local photographer, Alwyn Ladell's Flickr collection shows these, http://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/sets/72157630350120796/ Nowadays hidden under the over-growth.

Remembering back, wasn't there a number of these lining the up line approach to Christchurch station ?.

There must be hundreds, if not, thousands of these, still dotted about the country. For example,these, lining the old Maiden Newton - Bridport branch, just west of M.N'ton

post-7009-0-66871700-1366829177_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-82460800-1366829207_thumb.jpg

I'm sure there must be websites entirely devoted to such fortifications.

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great layout love the viaducts.

Not quite dragon's teeth, but I was always fascinated by the pill box at cemetery junction that was painted to look like a summer house.  (above the tunnel, right at the junction between Wimbourne road and Landsdowne road.)

Don't know if that was the original scheme or if it had been changed post war. It was there early 80's but gone now, beacame a block of flats.

Chris g

Edited by Chris g

• 3 weeks later...

I only came across this thread today after seeing a post on another forum. Splendid model. I wish my late father, who like several others on here lived in the area in the late 1940s could have seen this. It would have transported him back to his childhood. The viaducts in particular are fantastic, but all of the architectural modelling oozes quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

David Ballantine, a Canadian fellow member of the Southern E Mail Group, has asked me to copy you his 2 photo composite of the east end of Bournemouth Central, looking north west, in the last year of steam. David hopes these views will help the work on this amazing layout. He is in North Vancouver, I have recently retired back to Bournemouth.

With every good wish 

John Oliver 

post-19496-0-96208000-1371920044.jpg

post-19496-0-89532600-1371920081.jpg

• Like 3