Dapol 'N' gauge Class 121 'Bubble Car' - photo review

Andy Y

Hi chaps,

now in comparison to the 153/156, this model is easiler to take the chassis off.

The first thing you will have to do is to remove the circuit / DCC board from inside the roof.

The rest simply clips out by gently prising apart the body (this removes the cast seat weight) and then the chassis can upclip in much the same manor to the seat weight.

However, if your heavy handed you could stress mark the plastic, and dont forget you invalidate the warranty, so be gentle.

cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave!!

Hi Fella's........

My Green 121 arrived Saturday......absolutely stunning model.....oiled and ran it in everything working fine.

Installed Lenz Silver Mini decoder and programmed address....lights working fine but the SMDs for the headcode boxes are lit but very dim and don't light up the headcodes.

Has anybody else experienced this after installing a decoder.?

Could this be something specific to the Lenz decoder?

Would tweeking of any CVs solve the problem.........?

Any help would be most apreciated........

Ste

I've just had a call from Hattons - they didn't get as many green with speed whiskers as they wanted/needed, and Dapol haven't got any more either, so it seems. I've accepted a green small yellow panel instead, which Hattons offered with an apology, but if you really still want green with speed whiskers from the first batch, I suggest you try shopping around fast!

It's no ones fault (except my own), but Hattons told me a few days ago that the card on which I had pre-ordered had expired, and I left it a few days before I gave them the current card details. Had I responded instantly, I might have been near enough to the front of the queue to get the whiskered one.

Richard

I've just had a call from Hattons - they didn't get as many green with speed whiskers as they wanted/needed, and Dapol haven't got any more either, so it seems.

My local model shop sold their entire allocation of whiskered ones on pre-order. I guess this livery goes with a lot of steam engines.

Maybe scope for another run already? I guess when the 122s are produced, Dapol would do well to do slightly more in this livery.

My local model shop sold their entire allocation of whiskered ones on pre-order. I guess this livery goes with a lot of steam engines.

Maybe scope for another run already? I guess when the 122s are produced, Dapol would do well to do slightly more in this livery.

Still apparently in stock at Gaugemaster

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DAND118A

• RMweb Gold

If anyone missed out on a motorised BR Blue one, I have just dispatched my 'duplicate' one back to Hattons so they might be listing '1 in stock' in the next 10 days...or whenever Spanish post takes to get there... :sungum:

The early 122s appeared in a lighter malachite green rather than darker multiple unit green so in my view this would make a very interesting whiskered livery.

Cheers

Nigel H

For anyone hunting a whiskers one I have noticed there is one presently on ebay

(not mine I should add before anyone wonders) ending 2010 tomorow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-121-N-GAUGE-MOTORISED-/140643812203?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20bf06436b

The seller also has an unmotorised one ending 2001 tomorrow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-121-DUMMY-N-GAUGE-/140643805477?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20bf062925

My Green with small yellow panel model arrived today, although it came in a re-labelled "Whiskers" box. No dramas there, I ordered the small yellow panel edition anyway. I do have a couple of questions about the model though:

1. I fitted an NC040B light bar to it (yellow) but found that the light bar doesn't 'clip' in as such. It's held in place by the internal supports inside the unit and I just wondered whether this was 'as designed'.
  2. I will perform some amputations upon various figures to put some passengers inside it, but can you get into the driver's cabs to put a crew in place without taking the whole thing apart?
  3. Does the TCS EUN-651 chip fit or not? when I removed the roof - the chip looks too long to go into the available space and doesn't appear to be possible to install it directly without bending the pins on the chip. I'm just worried in case I break something!

It's a superb model - after a light oiling as per the instructions it's running away quite happily on my rolling road awaiting the fitting of a DCC controller. Absolutely delighted with it. Fantastic Dapol! :locomotive: :yahoo: :clapping:

Hi Fella's........

My Green 121 arrived Saturday......absolutely stunning model.....oiled and ran it in everything working fine.

Installed Lenz Silver Mini decoder and programmed address....lights working fine but the SMDs for the headcode boxes are lit but very dim and don't light up the headcodes.

Has anybody else experienced this after installing a decoder.?

Could this be something specific to the Lenz decoder?

Would tweeking of any CVs solve the problem.........?

Any help would be most apreciated........

Ste

Yes, I concur, adding a Lenz Silver Mini + has had the same effect for me, the headcodes are much dimmer than when it was running under DC, the head and tail lights are suitably bright. As I believe the decoder is only 2 function (one fn for motor control, the other for lighting) then I would have thought that this is likely to be a result of how the loco has been "wired" (how resistances have been balanced via the PCB) rather than something you can tweak using CVs - unless you were to go to the trouble of separating the lighting into 2 circuits and using a decoder with more functions where you could then apply brightness CVs to each lighting circuit.

I haven't tried another make of decoder, it would be interesting to see what others have to say about this...

Cheers

Nigel H

• 1 month later...

Were any powered BR green with whiskers models shipped, or shame on me for not having pre-ordered? I hadn't found them anywhere online since their release. Either this has been an extremely popular model or I really am too slow! I haven't even a layout yet but one of these would be absolutely gorgeous.

Archived