Dapol 'N' gauge Class 121 'Bubble Car' - photo review

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Is there a reason why there isn't a blue grey version, would have thought it would have sold more than either blue or NSE. Does anybody know if the NSE is early or late version?

Because there's only so many liveries they can do at a time? There are plenty more to do:

blue-grey

Chiltern

SWT

Arriva

Regional Railways

RailTrack

Carrilion

Load Haul

Kernow have already anounced a GW style chocolate & cream version.

Enough to keep Dapol going for a year or two,

I wonder how long for 3 and 4 car units based on these to be announced...(please!!!) :yes:

From what Dapol Dave was saying at TINGS last weekend it's a distinct possibility. Fingers crossed.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Just a minor "anorakish" point guys 55017 was actually a class 122 rather than a class 121. This means the class 122 didn't have the 4 character headcode box on the roof dome, just the destination box at the gutter line and the 2 character headcode box under the windscreens.

Now there's interesting - I was about to murmur something about 'invisible ink' only to look back through the thread and find that it was indeed invisible as an entire post of mine has vanished!

So I wil repeat my points excluding the bit about the Gloucester built cars and note what a great job this is and being pernickety there are some interesting things around the area of the van doors - no silver paint on the handle of the second door and the Guard's door has incorrectly got hinges on the outside of the vehicle plus I don't even remember these cars with that much aluminium on show round the front of cab windows. But if some of that wasn't in a nicely enlarged pic I doubt I'd even notice it on the actual model - even if i didn't apply 'the Denny principle'

• RMweb Gold

That's just so impressive for the size it is - all wheel drive with all the passenger windows clear, something certain OO models can't manage :rolleyes_mini: . Well done Dapol :good_mini:

It's getting harder & harder to resist moving to N with the quality of stock now available....

Andy,

What a great scoop for RM Web, and a good review too! I agree about about the sentiments relating to a lack of a Blue and Grey version, but Dapol have produced a real "little wonder" here, can I justify one in all over blue?? Does anybody know how long the all over BR blue livery lasted on the 121's?

Then I need to look up one that worked in the Bristol area.

This might be of interest to anyone planning on buying a green unit. Here are the units allocated to different depots in the 60s.

Reading: W55020/21/22/23/24/30/31

Bristol Marsh Junction: W55028/32/33/35

Laira: W55016/27/29/34

Cardiff: W55025/26

• RMweb Premium

This might be of interest to anyone planning on buying a green unit. Here are the units allocated to different depots in the 60s.

Laira: W55016

Laira's W55016 was a 122. As has been pointed out though, there are only minor differences between this and a 121.

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody know how long the all over BR blue livery lasted on the 121's?

Not quite, but a class 122 in all blue in Jan 1983 (final inspection train to Torrington)

If you believe the caption, this 121 was still all blue in 1985 - can't zoom in much, but looks to be a long number though - could it be a departmental unit?

That's just so impressive for the size it is - all wheel drive with all the passenger windows clear, something certain OO models can't manage :rolleyes_mini: . Well done Dapol :good_mini:

Dapol look to have moved on from their class 156, making a much better job of disguising the boxy nature of their underframe design. The box is a consequence of their decision to place the motor low down so as to enable them to have unobscured windows, but they seem to have managed to get impressive depth around the motor on the new 121 model when compared to the 156.

In fairness, this is a tough compromise in N. When Dapol and Farish released their 156 and 150 at about the same time, Dapol went for a low motor, clear windows and a boxy underframe with very "flat" detailing, while Farish had a better underframe at the expense of the motor blocking out all the windows in one car. Judging from these photos, Dapol have managed to retain what was good about their previous design while improving what was less good by quite a lot. Looks like an impressive effort.

Jim

When Dapol and Farish released their 156 and 150 at about the same time, Dapol went for a low motor, clear windows and a boxy underframe with very "flat" detailing, while Farish had a better underframe at the expense of the motor blocking out all the windows in one car. Judging from these photos, Dapol have managed to retain what was good about their previous design while improving what was less good by quite a lot. Looks like an impressive effort.

Just to set the record straight, the Farish 150 (and the 108) had a new single-bogie mechanism which only blocks the windows in about half of one coach and seems to have adequate traction for the job. I believe the Bachmann 150 in 00 is the one with a full-length mechanism.

I agree Dapol have done a first-rate job in concealing the motor while providing this level of underframe detail. Is this the best N gauge DMU yet?

Archived