Bachmann 4cep ,commonwealth bogies.

fozzy280472

Hi guys , ive just bought a very reasonably priced blue/grey Bachmann 4CEP from a large box shifter , now i know the motor bogies were the same for the units life but i can remember the units having commonwealths for the other non powered bogies, my question is would it be prototypical to fit them to this unit and if so are they a relatively straight swap , i just prefer the look of commonwealths on mk1 stock !!!!

thanks in advance for any help ,

regards Paul

Lot of CEP fans around this morning! That link from olddddddddudders above says of 7153 that "Double glazing with hopper ventilators " was installed, but if 7153 got hopper windows, it was much later, as my 1985 photo of that unit shows the old sliding ventilators still fitted. (photo cropped and lightened to show the bogie detail)

post-6971-0-62444100-1316166558.jpg

As is already noted, you can fit Commonwealths to your CEP, but it's not a straight swap. There was an article in the March 2011 edition of Model Rail that extensively covered the work required to undertake the conversion, ISTR that it's not a job for the faint hearted!

HTH

Hi chaps,

thanks for all the replies so far , especially the photo from eastwestdivide.

I think maybe i will have to dig out the model rail article and see whats involved before taking the plunge, i should imagine theres pick up equipment to be swapped around etc......

cheers chaps

regards paul

Hi!

The conversion isn't too difficult......it was all a bit of trial and error when I did the conversion for the article! It is worth remembering that you won't be able to have the electrical connections throughout the unit if you follow my method of Heljan bar couplings between the cars. If however you do follow that method, you'll only have to fit pick ups to two Commonwealths!

I was concerned about the converted vehicles wobbling, but the whole unit is wobble free and happily negotiates complex trackwork. On the 'round tuit' list is the fitment of Kadee's (minus their tails) to replace the bar couplings.

Just follow the article, take lots of time and you'll be fine!

Cheers,

Graeme

Archived