Scrapping BR steam locos

melmerby

Are you saying D o G went from Cashmore's to be preserved or transferred to Woodham's ?

My understanding was that it was withdrawn '62 stored in Crewe works until '67 when the cylinders were removed. Moved to Crewe South shed then towed to Woodham's in October '67 then departed Woodham's April '74 for the GCR

Also what cutting? When I saw it in Woodham's in '73 it was in the same condition as when I saw it in Crewe south before being towed away.

It was taken to Cashmore's by mistake when it should have gone to Woodham's (see http://www.71000trust.com/history.html ). I had read somewhere that cutting had already commenced but I stand to be corrected (maybe my source had been confused by the removal of the valve gear, or perhaps the cutters were still getting into position when the postman noticed the error).

• RMweb Premium

It was taken to Cashmore's by mistake when it should have gone to Woodham's (see http://www.71000trust.com/history.html ). I had read somewhere that cutting had already commenced but I stand to be corrected (maybe my source had been confused by the removal of the valve gear, or perhaps the cutters were still getting into position when the postman noticed the error).

On a previous thread I included the full quote from 'Steam for Scrap' by Alan Earnshaw. As far I I know no actual cutting had commenced but Cashmore's staff were removing non ferrous cab fittings when the photographer discovered the routing error after reading the label attached to the cab handrail. However I think that at least one of the cylinders had been removed or sectioned at Crew Works so that it could be displayed in the science museum.

Jamie

I think that at least one of the cylinders had been removed or sectioned at Crew Works so that it could be displayed in the science museum.

Jamie

Correct - nearside cylinder was removed at Crewe following withdrawal, for display at Science Museum.

This photo taken at Crewe Works 27th November 1966 shows the result. Sorry about the quality of the image - I remember it wasn't a very nice day, and as a hard-up student I couldn't afford "quality" equipment!

Out of interest, other occupants of Crewe that day included Evening Star and a couple of A4s.

post-11812-0-02899700-1318329911_thumb.jpg

As JB is under threat of closure, I wonder what the chances are of say Didcot or Tyseley being able to claim the bogies back as spares?

Richard

Unfortunately I read somewhere else on the internet that they have already had to replace the class kit underneath JB and when it was exhumed the wheels were found to be in a completely unusable state and were unfortuntely scrapped.

m0rris

Archived