Upgrading N-Gauge

• RMweb Gold

Nick at N Brass is really helpful - at Ally Pally this year I asked him whether he might consider producing a LNER flower-pot chimney - the Union Mills J11 is an obvious candidate for a replacement and there are lots of other locos to which this would be applicable. Saw them again at TINGs the other w/e and he says it is two or three months away. Brilliant. The web-site is informative..... usual disclaimer applies.

Cheers,

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

Only as kits - B&H Enterprises do kits that consist of litho-printed perspex sides that can go on the Farish Mk1 or their own shells.

http://www.bh-enterprises.co.uk/

If you're not already a member, I'd recommend joining the N Gauge Society - invaluable for anyone new to the scale, with lots of exclusive RTR and kit items.

Got a similar question so may as well keep it all on the same topic.

What about updating the main driving wheels to something spoked as the latest releases have? It's the Jinty I'm specifically looking to do the job on. The 2mm Society do the bits but I assume that won't run on N gauge track.

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Got a similar question so may as well keep it all on the same topic.

What about updating the main driving wheels to something spoked as the latest releases have? It's the Jinty I'm specifically looking to do the job on. The 2mm Society do the bits but I assume that won't run on N gauge track.

You're out of luck if you want to upgrade the drivers. 2mm stuff won't solve your problems. You might find some continental wheels that are the right size or if you are very luck some of the old beaver? range that sometimes appear on ebay etc. These have the downside of large flanges though.

As an extra thought if you want to do the Jinty, there is a very good chassis kit for this that would use 2mm items. There would be a lot a extra work needed to make this work for n gauge though.

Ultima, now run by Etched Pixels do Bullied coach sides, which I believe are marketed by the NGS.

http://www.ultima-mo...by.cs?Section=C

Alastair

I've not re-run these as they don't produce much interest (and also quite a few of them I've done to fit Farish mark 1 coaches anyway before I acquired Ultima so are in the Etched Pixels range). The NGS has stocks of several of the old ones. I've got a few oddments from them as well.

Chris Higgs (Massterclass Models) also did some Bulleid coaches, not sure if they are still available. These are full kits in 2mm

The BH Enterprises ones if you can get them are a nice intro kit. You need a set square and some patience to get the floor moulding and roof moulding properly sized but apart from that the assembly is nice and easy and they come pre-printed in a reasonably convincing green.

For the etched ones a spray of primer (Halfords or similar) and a suitable green car paint aerosol does the trick.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Chris Higgs (Massterclass Models) also did some Bulleid coaches, not sure if they are still available. These are full kits in 2mm

Chris said a while back that he would not be rerunning these due to the production issues he had with the roof.

Archived