LSWR Signalbox - Very Old Model

DLT

• RMweb Premium

I've just dug some of my early 4mm scale models, built when I was an impoverished youngster in the late 1970s. I thought one of two of them deserve to see the light of day again.

This signalbox was scratchbuilt from plasticard nearly 35 years ago, and is starting to show its age by warping. I went a bit mad and modelled sliding windows; they still slide and one of the photos shows them open.

The roof was rushed to meet a deadline, and it shows! I always intended to go back and replace it; but as ever, there was always something more important to do.

Cheers, Dave.

post-5825-0-98124400-1316543924.jpg

post-5825-0-64606800-1316543934.jpg

post-5825-0-51871000-1316543938.jpg

post-5825-0-38057100-1316543942.jpg

post-5825-0-24389200-1316543920.jpg

post-5825-0-28834400-1316543946.jpg

• RMweb Gold

If I'd built that even yesterday, I'd think I was a hell of a fella! Older 1:1 wooden structures do what wood wants to do, and thus are often less square than on the day they were built, so the warping does it less of a disservice than you suggest. Given the brill 7mm stuff you are displaying elsewhere your talents have no doubt improved, but this is still a very fine structure - it just needs a nice LSWR branch to go with it!

• RMweb Premium

That's excellent! A shame about the warping, it would still be a fine addition to a layout otherwise. Was it a competition entry if there was a deadline involved?

Thanks Rich,

Yes it was finished just in time for my Club's Christmas Comp. The slates looked ok when new, but the ridge tiles always let it down. The stove never received a chimney either.

If I'd built that even yesterday, I'd think I was a hell of a fella! Older 1:1 wooden structures do what wood wants to do, and thus are often less square than on the day they were built, so the warping does it less of a disservice than you suggest. Given the brill 7mm stuff you are displaying elsewhere your talents have no doubt improved, but this is still a very fine structure - it just needs a nice LSWR branch to go with it!

Thanks Ian,

The LSWR branch was the intention at the time, but it never happened. Before it was started I had a brainstorm and switched to 7mm narrow gauge instead.

Sidmouth, Lyme Regis, Swanage, Lymington, etc were all possible candidates, or more likely an unholy amalgam of the lot.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Please let us see what you are turning out to day. I reckon you will now be up to "Museum Standard". Excellant work, you even have a very good representation of a "Steven's" frame as used by the LSWR. Mick.

Thanks Mick,

The interior is all bits of balsa, plasticard and card, with houshold pins for the levers. It was of course built long before the Springside Signalbox interior kit appeared.

My various RMweb threads can be accessed from the links in my signature below.

Cheers,

Dave.

Archived