Boxfiles - Sealing the base?

steve1

• RMweb Gold

I raised the floor of Laterite & Co by 3mm (1.5 mm spacer to give room for the point control & 1.5mm for the track bed) which I simply painted using an emulsion tester pot.

Will you be laying the track directly on the boxfile base ? By raising it up even a small amout you have the choice to have an undulating ground.

Stu

I'm laying track on a light framed 3mm mdf base (somewhere to hide wires and point cranks). As I tend to ballast on Copydex or other sticky stuff and do not flood with water diluted/PVA water soaking through will not present a problem (do not look behind my back where the fingers are neatly crossed).

• 4 weeks later...

What I did in the end was spray the base in matte medium and subsequently (brush) paint suitably dull colours on the non-track areas. I've since put down the base ground cover using the 'traditional method' and all appears fine.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

steve

• 2 months later...

I usually lay track on a thinnish ply base, because it ensures I have a chance of getting flat, reasonably well laid track. Whenever I've tried anything else it's not been as successful but then that is probably due to my limitations! I used to join box files using flat back hinges but now prefer to put some wood along the bottom and join using baseboard dowels and luggage catches from Station-Road Baseboards. As my layout is set up on a ribbed bookcase, the kind that is open framed and covered in cloth it gives the reliable join I need. I know perhaps this is cheating but needs must...................

Archived