A DCC Exhibition Quick Setup Rig

I have previously made a passing reference to my quick set up rig for exhibition use. The idea came to me to use a container to mount the NCE Power Cab Panel (PCP) and carry the wiring easily to an exhibition. My wife provided a Tupperware container for this, which worked well apart from being a little too shallow when the wires were plugged into the PCP.

The mark 2 version followed when I spotted a suitable container going for $AUS3 on our local supermarkets shelves.

I should add that I carry the Power Cabs separately, using two of them for exhibition purposes, plus a Cab04p unit sometimes.

Photos 1 and 2 show the container closed with power supply and wires enclosed, PCP screwed into the lid. Note the small rectangular hole in one end to allow the wires to be passed through.

321_250243_340000000.jpg

321_250243_340000001.jpg

Photo 3 shows the lid open but all wires still contained in the box. The plastic on the lid was a little brittle and cracked as I created the opening for the PCP but once that was screwed into place they hardly show (and it doesn't matter anyway!).

321_250243_340000002.jpg

Photo 4 shows the same thing but with the track feed wires taken out. These utilise NCE's rather neat plug-in connector at one end, with two insulated crocodile clips soldered on to each of the other ends. These allow quick connection to the BRMA layout's terminals, or to any other test track I set up.

321_250243_340000003.jpg

Photo 5 shows the NCE flat ribbon cable that provides the connection to the "master" Power Cab with the NCE power supply still in the box. Usually I also have an NCE coiled cable in the box too, for supplying the "slave" controller (Power Cab or Cab 04p). The power supply only goes to 1.3 amps but this is more than enough for all of the locomotives I have run on the BRMA layout at exhibitions.

321_250243_340000004.jpg

While I have used this idea with an NCE system, it may well work with, or be adaptable to, other manufacturer's sytems.

Above all, it is effective and it was cheap!!

p.s. I have posted this under DCC but it could equally be listed under electrics - I thought it was more relevant to DCC though.

Jeff Lynn,

Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

• RMweb Gold

This is a good idea. it is also applicable to the many folk who have no permanent home for their layout, but must assemble it in the lounge or wherever each time they operate. Anything that reduces their set-up/breakdown time is gonna be valuable. Thanks for posting!

I have been using this scheme for a few years now and thought it was time I shared it properly (aside from passing mentions in other topics).

I'm really glad if it does benefit others. Of course, if one used a larger box one could actually carry the controllers in it too but for my purposes, I knew the ledge we have on the BRMA layout is not all that wide so I chose a size that would sit comfortably on the shelf.

:)

• RMweb Gold

I've done a similar thing with my DCC systems using Aluminium tool cases from B&Q or Maplins when they are on offer.

Here's the LGB unit in it's case with the PC programming unit too. Hard foam blocks from other tv type packaging stop things sliding around.

post-6968-0-25341100-1316947889.jpg

a similar idea to protect the SPROG allowing quick switching for programming without risking dcc and programmer connected to the track at the same time. I've done this for the loksound unit too. The track output is switchable between the sprog and two different controllers so I can test settings on MTS or NCE or I can test on DCC and DC at the flick of the switch.

post-6968-0-51886100-1316947897.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Cost me £10 on offer but I figured as the system is worth £400 it was worth it to protect it. Saves loads of time like you say and if you took a layout out a lot then it might even be worth looking at one of the bigger cases so you could have the units padded with foam, obviously allowing ventilation spaces where the grilles are, to save on knocks and vibration in transport.

I do the same with stock boxes, putting £100 locos in cardboard crates when for a fiver you can have tough plastic stacking crates, I use really useful boxes, that can take heavy impacts and survive seems well worth it. The really useful boxes are ideal for dcc systems too just like your version as the socket panel could be located between plastic ribs making it even safer from damage.

• RMweb Gold

I popped into Tesco this evening and bought a box that seemed suitable and I set about building a DCC Rig. I found one that was suitable for my NCE Power Cab panel and also hold the throttle and power supply and connecting leads.

I used a panel that I had a repaired the power socket after it broke off using a short piece of wire seperating the connector from the board, as you see below this proved quite useful as I was able to have all connections in lid of the box.

post-6784-0-04360700-1317164893.jpg

The NCE Panel in the lid along with the track connection and power connector.

post-6784-0-92792000-1317164893.jpg

A closer view.

post-6784-0-58529600-1317164892.jpg

The panel with everthing attached.

post-6784-0-52391700-1317164893.jpg

A rear view showing connections for the track and the power lead.

post-6784-0-35344700-1317164894.jpg

The Power Cab swtiched on.

post-6784-0-82627600-1317164894.jpg

The box ready to transport.

Peter

If you use the SB3 Booster and PSU you the "panel2 is no longer required. The other thing that is a must (well for me anyway) it to have cradles for the handsets to reduce the risk of dropping them on the floor; I have 2 permantly screwed to the back of the layout.

I carry all my NCE bits in one big box and can have it set up at a Show really quickly.

Nigel.

• RMweb Gold

Oddly I am planning something very similar.

I bought a spare power panel initially to fit to Fourgig East, but then it struck me that if I built a suitable box I could include a Hornby rolling road on top with the panel and an Auto SW so I would finally have a programming track option at shows.

It will have a separate power feed to the rolling road so that a DC supply or SPROG feed can also connect on the workbench.

I've got to build another kitchen cabinet so whilst the powertools are out I will knock up a suitable box in offcuts of cream gloss cabinet door - wipe clean should tea get spilled at a show :lol:

I'll post some pics etc once completed.

I'm also planning something similar to RedgateModels as a project over the winter, i'm planning to build it into a toolbox to give a good level of portability but build in:

Lenz base unit

Tam Valley dumb booster (with either an external input or switchable from the Lenz unit)

Cooling fan

Program track

Here's our version, but its not in a box! -

post-8271-0-53722700-1317470645_thumb.jpg

Lenz 100 set up, complete with programming track, mounted on a piece of 9mm ply. The whole lot sized to fit into a collapse-able box along with, or on top of, other junk! As a group we have half a dozen or so like this which connect to several layouts using two crocodile clips for the power bus and the ''express net'' socket for extra controllers if required. Coppell uses three of these for five operating positions! kev.

• RMweb Gold

Well, SWMBO took the kids to Drayton Manor on Friday (it was yet another school inset day), so being POETS day, I rushed home and got the powertools out :)

here's my effort:

post-6717-0-71740700-1317629170_thumb.jpg

It's 18mm cream melamine faced MDF, so will not get knocked off the back shelf of the layout in a hurry!

I'm going to add a socket on the front for direct connection to the rolling road for DC testing or for the output from the SPROG I ordered on Friday :sungum:

The third pic down on this post shows my take on this. As well as the Lenz command station the wooden frame also contains a digital ammeter. The silver plate below the power input allows a KPC analogue controller to be plugged in the whole show switched to DC mode.

The case is a cheapo alluminium product brought from the German equivelant of B&Q and the wooden frame is my poor attempt at wood work. all the components are properly secured inside to stop things slopping around.

• RMweb Gold

Quick update:

I've added the 2 pin DIN speaker socket to the front and a switch to switch the Rolling road between the new socket and the output from the autoSW.

I bought another set of rollers at the Elizabethan Show last Saturday. Now for the painful bit, total parts cost - £111 :O

Here's one I made earlier. It was on the old RMWeb about 3 1/2 years ago. A blatent rip off of Chris Shin's work. (Digitrax Yahoo group)

Basically its a B&Q small toolbox that's been fitted with a cooling fan, power supply and connections. There are outputs for both the track and programming track. I've also added a 3 pin XLR connector for track power to make it compatible with the connectors used on the club modules. The little top holders are perfect for storing spare wiring harnesses, decoders, tester, etc.

digibox004.jpg

digibox002.jpg

digibox001.jpg

edit: the only downside is that I've still not bothered to replace my original 110vac power supply so it still needs a step down converter. One day. Although North American plug sure confused people at the club the first time I brought it along.

Archived