Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition Plaques

I never said that displaying plaques was bragging, Other previous posters did.

I said "SOME" people think that by displaying these plaques you are bragging,

if I can't brag about my own work no one else will.

I must have got confused then

We all tend to brag about our modelling skills, you only have to read most of what is shown on these forums, when you post about your own work are you really trying to brag, and look for praise from other forum members?

Think about it and answer honestly.

OK Frank, and while it's well off topic, the answer is an emphatic 'no'. Many/most of those people I know here post to learn, for peer review, for mutual inspiration. I'm not at all keen to be thought of as here on a purpose of self promotion.

Whilst we all have our own ideas where semantics are concerned, I often muse on the fact that a range of dictionary definitions is available with a quick Google. It's always nice to receive praise (and perfectly acceptable IMHO to post 'here's something I've done' in a reasonable expectation of it), but surely to 'brag' is something different entirely - to speak of your own modelling in such a manner as to leave folk in no doubt that you think it's brilliant, whether they do or not?

It's an interesting subject though, there's the psychology behind such matters as hype, fishing for compliments, self-deprecation and false modesty, and there's possibly a grey area between bragging and natural pride; one of the definitions I've just found of the similar word 'boast' is "To speak of with excessive pride". In some cases the matter of which it is is dependent on, or assisted by, a knowledge of the individual concerned.

I'd be keen to read the views of some exhibition managers who attend shows with a view to making layout bookings.

Does a plethora of plaques make an enquiry to the owner:

a) more likely as it is obviously popular and the owner is more likely to travel to your show.

b,) it has done the rounds and every man and his dog has already seen it.

Does a lack of plaques affect the decision to enquire at all?

I personally see no harm displaying plaques as a badge of honour for both layout and exhibition.

C6T.

Hang on, just because a layout has been to a lot of shows (and what's a lot?), it just might be an indicator that it is a good layout. One well known layout went to 61 shows, and I'm sure I only saw it myself a couple of times.

If a layout is good, surely the managers will be queuing to book that layout, without reference to the plethora of plaques?

• RMweb Premium

I love receiving the plaques and wear them as a badge of pride. I make up my own for the shows that don't supply them.

I'm not bothered where they go on other people's layout, but on mine they're on the front.

Self indulgent? Definitely, but it's my train set!

Hang on, just because a layout has been to a lot of shows (and what's a lot?), it just might be an indicator that it is a good layout.

One well known layout went to 61 shows, and I'm sure I only saw it myself a couple of times.

If a layout is good, surely the managers will be queuing to book that layout, without reference to the plethora of plaques?

Quite possibly.

Did you, that's nice.

Hence the question.

I'd be keen to read the views of some exhibition managers who attend shows with a view to making layout bookings.

a) more likely as it is obviously popular and the owner is more likely to travel to your show.

A good layout is a good layout regardless of how many shows it has previously done. What can be more important than how many time it has been exhibited is where it has previously been shown: - If it is a popular and well known layout from another region that has done many shows in that area, but has never been seen in our area before, it could be a publicity coup to have 'it's first show in Yorkshire' or wherever. On the other hand if the plaques reveal that it appears every year at 'Back of beyond Village Hall' and rarely anywhere else you do wonder why...

Strangely enough some of Europe's largest and most prestigious of events do not provide plaques but instead give rather nice certificates to exhibitors (though, I would have preferred a discrete plaque)

For the very few exhibitions when the exhibition manager did not provide a souvenir of the event, I make a mental note to ignore any further invitations and neither do I bother to visit that exhibition.

BTW, I don't display my collection, they are on display in the workshop and go all the way back to IMREX.

Tim

Not having exibited my own creation monstrosity in the UK yet I haven't had the honour of receiving a plaque. For many years our local Calgary show was sponsored and managed by a rotating group of clubs. One club would give out branded coffee mugs to each layout operator. Over the years I collected a box full of these things. Another gave out lapel pins. Got a box of those too. :scratchhead: I'll take a nice discrete plaque please.

I personally see no harm displaying plaques as a badge of honour for both layout and exhibition.

C6T.

As someone who will get layout details for our exhibition manager, plaques can give you an idea as to where the owner comes from, if he is prepared to travel to shows and, if you know what type of shows the plaques he has on display are, whether he would be willing to attend one day shows further afield or if the owners will only do two day shows, even if local. A layout should be selected for exhibition if it is good enough and that can only be down to individuals gathering the details, and if an exhibition manager trusts other people to get him details then layouts will receive an invite.

Colin

• RMweb Gold
When I have exhibited (only 3 times) I have not expected a plaque. On a couple of occasions I have received them

And sorry, mate, you were never going to get one for that third show..!!. ;) :P (RMweb Members Day, Taunton, April 2010). But if I'd been 'doing' them you would certainly have received one!

My view on them is that they are nice to receive, but I don't like fixing them to the layout, so I put them on a seperate display board, which is sometimes displayed with the layout information.

On the other hand, the principal reason I would have for displaying them is to allow visitors to recall where they may have seen the layout before. I can't be doing with all this collecting loads of 'em just to show how many shows you've been to. In that sense, a simple printed list of exhibitions attended would suffice....

Archived