Narrow Gauge, Real!

Russ (mines a pint)

• RMweb Gold

Over the years seen quite a few 'romanticised' narrow gauge layouts, but what of the real ones:

I have a little list of lines which I have researched, visited the locality, in some cases even walked the trackbed.

Hoping to open this up to more lines/info etc.

With my house being very close to or possibly even on the route:

Campbeltown to Machrihanish -possibly the 'patron saint' of Scottish narrow gauge?

- there are even kits available of some of the rolling stock in 4mm and 7mm - tempted- maybe?

Ardkinglass Estate, small set up, possible works railway not sure if passengers carried, defunct very early

Fort William, an industrial railway, of which bits can still be found.

Broadford Marble line a 3 ft gauge quarry to dock, most of which can be walked or cycled.

- there was another line on Skye to the road North of Portree, before kilt rock, anyone want to fill in the gaps?

Russ,

I recently acquired a book via Kindle - 'Scotland Island Railways' by James Carron - its pretty cheap too. It attempts to document all such enterprises and does seem pretty comprehensive. A word of warning, this is one occasion where the paper format may well be greatly superior to the electronic as it just aint the same sitting down with the iphone and a decent (island) malt and browsing through it. Comprehensive it may be but inspiring it aint.

If you want, I could list the lines covered....

HTH

Bruce

• RMweb Gold

There was a narrow gauge slate railway on the tiny island of Easdale - probably not far as the Herring Gull flies from you, Russ, but remote - only accessible by boat from Seil or Luing. I've walked the trackbed, it's splendidly desolate and atmospheric. Not much by way of information or photos on the web, though..

Go on then!

- will look out for the book anyway.

Deep breath....

Ailsa Craig/Arran/Belnahua/Bute/Easdale/Fidra/Flannan/Iona/Islay/Lewis/Luing/Mull/Orkney/Raasay...... you get the picture.

Note to save space I've just listed the islands - some of which had more than one system. In fairness to the author, I'll leave it at that. I've not seen a hardcopy but it would be worth looking out for.

....and exhale.

• RMweb Premium

Tom Dauben has done a great deal of research on Scottish Narrow Gauge and the initial results from about 40 lines :O are on his web site here http://hlrco.wordpress.com/scottish-narrow-gauge/

His excellent Blog has more information and you will also find details of his layouts and modelling plans for the future http://hlrco.wordpress.com/blog/

Mike

Superb book published by the Narrow Gauge Society called 'The Puggy Line, The Lochaber Narrow Gauge Railway" by Patrick Howat (ISSN 0142-5587) and (ISBN 987-0-9554326-0-6, 96 pages. The book contains highly detailed maps, some superb photographs and as well as the history of the line it gives a comprehensive stock list.

Tom Dauben has done a great deal of research on Scottish Narrow Gauge and the initial results from about 40 lines :O are on his web site here http://hlrco.wordpre...h-narrow-gauge/

His excellent Blog has more information and you will also find details of his layouts and modelling plans for the future http://hlrco.wordpress.com/blog/

Mike

Ah, my pet subject...

Thanks for the plug for my site, Mike :sungum:

As Mike has indicated I'm in the process of putting together a layout, this is based on a proposed Scottish NG line that I found details of in the National Archives, the website documents the building of it but i've also expanded it to cover general Scottish NG to try and pull together all information on Scottish lines into one place. This side of the site is very much a work in progress, so many pages simply contain the text 'coming soon' until I get around to writing about them. However an indication of what I want to do ultimately is on the Kinlochleven Railway page: http://hlrco.wordpre...hleven-railway/

Anyway, here's the list I have so far:

Constructed lines:

Aberdeen Golf Links Railway

Alford Valley Railway

Almond Valley Railway

Auchencorth Moss Peat Railway

Aviemore Light Railway

Bedley Timber Company Railway

Bishopton Ordnance Railway

British Aluminium, Foyers, Loch Ness

Campbeltown & Machrihanish Railway

Carnwath Peat Railway

Cladence Moss Peat Railway

Creca Moss Peat Railway

Dalmunzie House Hotel Railway

Dornoch Forest Railway

Dundee Gas Works Railway

Eastrigg MoD Railway

Fort George Range Target Railway

Gardrum Moss Peat Railway

Glasgow Gas Works Railway

ICI Explosives Railway

Killoch Colliery Railway

Kinlochleven Railway

Leadhills & Wanlockhead Railway

Letham Moss Peat Railway

Lochaber Railway

Longannet Colliery Railway

Mull & West Highland Railway

New Pitsligo Peat Railway

Nutberry Moss Peat Railway

Ord Quarry Tramway

Ryeflat Moss Peat Railway

Scottish Industrial Railway Centre

Skye Marble Railway

Springfield Moss Peat Railway

Storr Lochs Hydroelectric Plant Tramway

Stornoway Waterworks Railway

Talisker Tramway Distillery

Tentsmuir Railway

Tyndrum Gold Mine Railway

Whim Moss Peat Railway

Proposed lines:

Balloch & Loch Lomond Railway

Garve – Ullapool Railway

Hebridean Light Railway

Leverbugh – Branahuie Railway

Mull of Kintyre Railway

I'm aware there are a few missing, but if you can think of any please feel free to let me know and I'll add them in.

Thanks for the pointer towards James Carron's e-book, I'd not come across that before... just downloaded it for a read.

The Puggy Line is a cracking book, as is Nigel MacMillan's book on the Campbeltown & Machrihanish. There are also a series of small books on Scottish NG lines by a chap called Wilfred Sims, worth looking for.

This site maybe of interest to you. The last time I was up there about 5 years ago, maybe more, the track was still there but just abondoned. I no idea where the locos are now but were kept for a while in Kincaid's Works, now long demolished.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchal_Moor_Railway

Constructed lines:

Proposed lines:

I'm aware there are a few missing, but if you can think of any please feel free to let me know and I'll add them in.

Tom, I see you are considering quarry tramways. There was one in Craigmuschat quarry (sometimes spelled Craigmuschet) in Gourock. It shows on the 1:2500 maps for 1914 and 1938-39 for the area. I grew up in the 1950s and 60s just up the road from the quarry and remember an elevated structure outside the quarry buildings which had been part of the tramway. But I don't remember seeing anything moving on it - in fact, I don't remember if there were even rails still on it. I can't find any description of the tramway online.

Tom,

I've always been interested in the Hebridean Light Railway, although more so in the proposals for Lewis, as both my parents came from the Isle and every childhood summer holiday was spent there.

Looking at what you have managed to dig up in your researches, I was taken with how much their proposed Stornoway site looked like the station at Campeltown. My musings on such a layout had always drawn heavily on the C&M for inspiration (RAF Machrihanish had been my first posting in 81) having walked the line and explored the remnants on many occasions in the early 80s. I also fondly remember Nigel MacMillan's layout at ModelRail in theMaclennan Galleries many moons ago!

A rather more exotic flight of fancy I had was that the lines were built as standard gauge light railways with train ferries to the mainland....

Angus

Angus, I think the proposed line on Skye definitely had a train ferry proposed as part of the Highland Railway line in 1896.

Stornoway station would indeed have had more than a passing resemblance to Campbeltown... sounds like you need to model it ;)

Tom, I see you are considering quarry tramways. There was one in Craigmuschat quarry (sometimes spelled Craigmuschet) in Gourock. It shows on the 1:2500 maps for 1914 and 1938-39 for the area. I grew up in the 1950s and 60s just up the road from the quarry and remember an elevated structure outside the quarry buildings which had been part of the tramway. But I don't remember seeing anything moving on it - in fact, I don't remember if there were even rails still on it. I can't find any description of the tramway online.

Interesting, I've not heard of that one. I'll add it to the list when I next update the site, along with any others mentioned here that I've not already included.

Russ, apologies for rather pinching the purpose of the thread.... :blush:

Guest Natalie Graham

Proposed lines:

There was a line proposed on Arran. It was one of the ones planned post WWI, intended to use surplus narrow gauge military railway equiment. The route was from Lamlash pier, round the Southend of the island to Blackwaterfoot. It is mentioned on one of the books on the Highland Railway, either Nock or Vallance, I can't remember which off hand. There was an actual line on the island too. It ran from Sannox barites mines down to the sea, crossing the road on a bridge and ending on a pier to load ships. I have never heard of any locomotives being used on the line and it is pretty much certain it was worked by gravity for the full wagons and horses or manpower to get the empties back to the top again. You can walk the trackbed and there used to be a few sleepers visble. In the areas of the mines you can find the remains of some stone buildings and what appears to be a loading dock of some kind. At one time you could find the remains of what looked like an iron bodied tipper wagon and the ironwork from a planked wagon but when I went up there a few years ago they were nowhere to be seen. Some pre-fabricated pointwork had been placed over the old mineshafts as some kind of protection to keep people out but they seemed to have gone too. Rusted away and fallen down the shafts perhaps.

There is more on Scottish Narrow Gauge in another topic here http://www.rmweb.co....563#entry406563 However this is in the Waverley section :no:

Mike

Aye, we like to think we're comprehensive in our coverage, us Waverlites :sungum:

Doubt we've much more than scratched the surface, albeit I'd say our signature contribution would be the Stobs Camp railway.

There was a line proposed on Arran. It was one of the ones planned post WWI, intended to use surplus narrow gauge military railway equiment. The route was from Lamlash pier, round the Southend of the island to Blackwaterfoot. It is mentioned on one of the books on the Highland Railway, either Nock or Vallance, I can't remember which off hand. There was an actual line on the island too. It ran from Sannox barites mines down to the sea, crossing the road on a bridge and ending on a pier to load ships. I have never heard of any locomotives being used on the line and it is pretty much certain it was worked by gravity for the full wagons and horses or manpower to get the empties back to the top again. You can walk the trackbed and there used to be a few sleepers visble. In the areas of the mines you can find the remains of some stone buildings and what appears to be a loading dock of some kind. At one time you could find the remains of what looked like an iron bodied tipper wagon and the ironwork from a planked wagon but when I went up there a few years ago they were nowhere to be seen. Some pre-fabricated pointwork had been placed over the old mineshafts as some kind of protection to keep people out but they seemed to have gone too. Rusted away and fallen down the shafts perhaps.

I knew of the barites railway, but not as much detail as you've added, so thank you. I'm intrigued by the proposal on Arran. I have to confess that I've not read my book on the HR by Vallance yet, so will see if it's in there - if not I'll hunt down a copy of the Nock version. Will add them to the lists in the next update.

I knew of the barites railway, but not as much detail as you've added, so thank you. I'm intrigued by the proposal on Arran. I have to confess that I've not read my book on the HR by Vallance yet, so will see if it's in there - if not I'll hunt down a copy of the Nock version. Will add them to the lists in the next update.

There's no mention of a line on Arran in the Vallance book.

• RMweb Premium

I've also just checked the Vallance book, and though Chapter 7 deals with schemes that failed, inlcuding Ullapool, the Skye lines and the Lewis lines, there is no mention of Arran. I would uggest that Arran wold be dealt with under either a history of the Glasgow and South Western or of the Caleadonian, depending on which company was backing the scheme.

The Valance book does have excellent maps of the schemes that it deals with.

Jamie

Guest Natalie Graham

There's no mention of a line on Arran in the Vallance book.

Maybe I am mis-remembering then. I know I have it in a book somewhere. It was in a list of lines proposed by the Rural Transport (Scotland) Committee. Unfortunately my copies of both Highland Railway books are packed away somewhere in overly optimistic anticipation of a move of house so I can't check. Whilst looking for them though I did find Nigel Macmillan's book on the Campbelltown and Macrihanish. That discusses some quite extensive proposals for lines in Argyll connecting to the C&M and running to Tarbert and Skipness, a branch from the C&M to Southend (That is Southend, Kintyre not Southend-on-Sea, Essex. :) ) and an amazingly ambitious proposal for a line from the C&M to the Caledonian at Dalmally or the North British at Arrochar. He also has some information on the barytes railway in Glen Sannox on Arran and apparently it was a balanced rope-worked gravity powered line with a passing loop at half way.

Edit: It seems the Arran railway proposal has already been mentioned on RMweb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37528#p575828 This says the line was to run from Brodick but I seem to recall the proposed distance didn't reach Brodick.

Archived