RMweb

Trout Ballast Hopper out..

craigwelsh

Has anybody got knowledge of these ballast hoppers in terms of geographical spread. I am thinking Scotland (Perth or Abredeen) in 1960s and what livery would be applicable?

thanks

Graham

When I was a "wagon spotter" :O in the 1970s, I never saw a Trout on the Southern or Western Regions, but a handful on the Eastern Region. I would rate them as "distinctly rare"...

Bill

• RMweb Gold

My impression is that only the Southern used it to any great extent in the '60s - I dont think it was so much that the other Regions continued with black, more that they just didnt repaint stuff :lol:

Perhaps they mixed it up from some tins they had left over from the Maunsell era. :lol:

• Like 1

Tatlow states they were built by Leeds Forge Co not Metro cammell. Axleboxes in pictures are flat front with a single bolt head in the centre so a easy fix if the colour is not a problem ????

LNER version

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=35994

The official photograph of 163504 says built at Met Camm and quotes two Patents. The BR ones were built by Met Camm. As you will know Leeds Forge was absorbed into Cammell-Laird & CO Ltd in 1923 and the works closed in 1929 with a transfer of work to the Saltley works which was Metropolitan RCW Ltd until 1919 when Vickers acquired the shares, then in 1929 Vickers and Cammell-Laird & Co Ltd merged to form Metropolitan Cammell Carriage and Wagon Co.

The detail photograph at Hattons appears to have very good likeness of the axleboxes with LNE lettering etc. Early BR ones had these, later they were BR(E) and later still a plain (one bolt head) version was used, as well as occasional 2-piece boxes.

They were never numerous, and appear to have mainly been retained on the ex LNER - ER, NER and ScR. The LNER had several batches built at various times, presumably all will be revealed when Wild Swan finally publishes the two remaining volumes in Tatlow's new LNER wagon book series (they have had them for some time!). BR had 113 of diag. 1/580.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

I think it may be more complicated than that.

Isnt it always Paul ;) I have to admit that that was intended to be a glib generalisation; the matter of the apparently black Whales (and Sealion/Seacow) is something we've discussed before

Perhaps they mixed it up from some tins they had left over from the Maunsell era. :lol:

Joking aside, the significance isnt lost on me - it's fairly evident that the SR was pretty keen (compared to other Regions) on repainting dropside ballast wagons and even humble ex-traffic spoil carriers.

Edited by Pennine MC

The Met Cam drawings of the BR one are both in the HMRS archive and with Serco at Derby. They seem to have gained the name Herring by then though rather than Trout which is really annoying when you think you've found something about the GWR Herring that doesn't have any preserved examples!

There must have been a lot of green paints around in the late 60s from BR(S) coaches as well though I don't know how much was made up by works at a time.Certainly much easier to be a WR modeller without the odd colours for a while!

The Met Cam drawings of the BR one are both in the HMRS archive and with Serco at Derby. They seem to have gained the name Herring by then though rather than Trout which is really annoying when you think you've found something about the GWR Herring that doesn't have any preserved examples!

There must have been a lot of green paints around in the late 60s from BR(S) coaches as well though I don't know how much was made up by works at a time.Certainly much easier to be a WR modeller without the odd colours for a while!

Craig

Are you sure it was a Trout drawing? There are similar Herring - Diag 1/584. Similar in construction but smaller http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrivetherring

These fishkind names are to give guidance on the wagon type, so if two wagons have similar capacity, unloading arrangements etc then they should have the same name. The same concept is used for TOPS coding, which is why the three letter codes are usually not a suitable way of describing a particular wagon.

• Like 3

Craig

Are you sure it was a Trout drawing? There are similar Herring - Diag 1/584. Similar in construction but smaller http://paulbartlett..../brrivetherring

These fishkind names are to give guidance on the wagon type, so if two wagons have similar capacity, unloading arrangements etc then they should have the same name. The same concept is used for TOPS coding, which is why the three letter codes are usually not a suitable way of describing a particular wagon.

Ah yes good point, it was one of them then, certainly wasn't the 1/582 it was supposed to be from the index :(.

"Anyway back to them Trout - apparently Cambrian are doing a "Mackerel" soon(ish)" :)

Does anyone know any more about this?this would certainly give more engineers variety especially now the sturgeon kit is being done!"

A P22 Herring would go down very well with those of us modelling the Forest of Dean/Whitecliffe Quarry. Pity about all the Dogfish/Catfish stand-ins I've built though.....

Chris

Indeed http://www.flickr.com/photos/midlandexplorerboy/5594857882/

If anyone knows if some of the brake gear was welded to the hopper on these though do tell..

Picked mine up today, like Chard I've gone for the N E one as it'll make a better basis for rusty black (and I didnt actually realise til a mate asked me, but Hornby have very peculiarly not done this model in a livery suitable for any part of the BR steam and transition period :scratch_one-s_head_mini:).

I thought I'd identified more sloppy handrail issues, but it's not as bad as I thought - looking at pics on Paul's site, those on the prototype do have a distinctly contorted shape to them and TBF, they've done a pretty good job reproducing it. And they are wire, not plastic, so the odd less than perfect 90 degree bend should ease out with care.

It's a very pleasing model IMO, about the only significant criticism I can make is that the 'valley' of the distinctive reversed stanchions doesnt look deep enough. It's effectively level with the main body panels whereas it should probably go slightly past it, but again TBF I'd imagine that would have made it very difficult to mould. I'd also give them a few extra marks for painting the interior and ballast chutes in a pseudo-rust shade - not mega-convincing, but a good basis for further work.

I dont think it's been mentioned yet but Vol 1 of Essery's 'LMS Wagons' reveals that the LMS also had 20 built by Leeds Forge, though only one running number was known to the author

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 2

I can't wait to get hold of mine; with these dialled into the Engineers' fleet for evaluation, I may retire a couple of Dogfish for attention to detail and attempt the mods on a Mermaid chassis that I read-up on yesterday. I must say, I find the omission of a transition era model not exactly frustrating - the rework is all part of the fun - but certainly perplexing.

Picked mine up today, like Chard I've gone for the N E one as it'll make a better basis for rusty black

Brilliant idea ! - going to do the same - mine need to be late 1970's en route for scrapping with other odd and curious unfitted wagons (pig-iron opens, etc) in the same train

A P22 Herring would go down very well with those of us modelling the Forest of Dean/Whitecliffe Quarry. Pity about all the Dogfish/Catfish stand-ins I've built though.....

Chris

Being small they would be handy for a lot of modellers, the GWR and BR ones were used on the Eastern, Scotland and Midland. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brherring http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrherring

As to the Hornby Trout, yes very strange that the main livery - BR black has not been reproduced! A very strange company!

Paul Bartlett

As to the Hornby Trout, yes very strange that the main livery - BR black has not been reproduced! A very strange company!

Paul Bartlett

Paul

Can you advise if any photographs of a Trout wagon in BR black livery are available with the lettering clearly visable including any "Return to XXX" details?

Regards

PaulG

Paul

Can you advise if any photographs of a Trout wagon in BR black livery are available with the lettering clearly visable including any "Return to XXX" details?

Regards

PaulG

Given the amount of work Paul has already put into publishing his photos, you could always have a wee look yourself :) :

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/troutzfo

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerballasthop

I dont think it's been mentioned yet but Vol 1 of Essery's 'LMS Wagons' reveals that the LMS also had 20 built by Leeds Forge, though only one running number was known to the author

From Tatlow LNER Wagons

I.D as LNER but shorter buffers and 3 link couplings. no other details mentioned

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

Given the amount of work Paul has already put into publishing his photos, you could always have a wee look yourself :) :

http://paulbartlett....io.com/troutzfo

http://paulbartlett..../lnerballasthop

What makes you think I haven't already looked! The reason I asked Paul the question direct is that having looked at his web site there are no c1950s BR photos. However I know he has helped manufactures with photos etc and wondered if he had advised Hornby on a "black" version, hence his comment and could pass on any information.

Regards

Paul

What makes you think I haven't already looked! The reason I asked Paul the question direct is that having looked at his web site there are no c1950s BR photos. However I know he has helped manufactures with photos etc and wondered if he had advised Hornby on a "black" version, hence his comment and could pass on any information.

Regards

Paul

Although a number of Hornby models appear to have been influenced by my photographs they have never been in contact with me. It looks from their adverts that others have been, who do not have a web prescence. I assume you have looked at Cheona etc. and HMRS, personally I have very few 1950s photographs.

Paul Bartlett

Although a number of Hornby models appear to have been influenced by my photographs they have never been in contact with me. It looks from their adverts that others have been, who do not have a web prescence. I assume you have looked at Cheona etc. and HMRS, personally I have very few 1950s photographs.

Paul Bartlett

Paul

Thank you for your reply - I certainly had the impression your services had been "officially" used by manufacturers and read too much into your comment about Hornby not issuing (yet) the BR black version.

I have spoken to a number of people in various society's, serched a number of photo lists and looked at photos for sale at various exhibitions - and will be doing so this weekend at Peterborough - but so far, other than a couple of Frank Church photos - which unfortunatly are too "front 3/4" with number/text not visible, not found a clear photo!

Regards

Paul G

There is a picture of a BR one in Don Rowland's B% Wagons 1st 1/2 million, bit specific though with Glasgow branding. He might have more in his collection but I haven't found one yet amongst the prints i've gone through.

Dave Larkin must have some amongst his vast collection, probably not a 50s date but as departmentals his mid 60s photos usually have wagons in original condition amongst them or an easy removal of something like a post '64 data panel.