NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

.... it's prototypical.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The piston thrust is generally towards the centre of the wheel.

Thanks both for your answers. Every photo I've today seen suggests that it is prototypical and - presumably - the cylinders are slightly inclined to allow for this.

A fine model in every respect and I'm looking forward to running it at the club.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Shildon are not permitted to deduct VAT for an overseas purchase so I have ordered a Midland Compound from York. Nicola was very helpful there.

It looks like they are not going to do another run of the City of Truro's. Would anybody like to guess how many years it will be before Bachmann make it available again ?

Is there any hint at what the NRM might produce next ?

While awaiting short chimney, dome and washout plugs, I've been doing a spot of homework. I cannot figure out why the casings that cover the cylinder mounting blocks beside the smokebox base are set back to the rear of the cylinders. I presume Bachmann has faithfully copied the preserved 1000. From scale drawing and photos, they are usually lined up with the cylinders.

I plan to convert my model into a loco as running in BR days. So far it looks like it will have to be one of the early LMS locos with Deeley style tender but photos of locos with this tender in BR days plus short chimney & dome are proving to be elusive.

Can report plenty of space to re-gauge these to EM folks, pulling the OEM wheels out leaves them a bit too loosely seated, but space is there within the brakegear and inside the splashers...

Work continues, but ever so sloooowly. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

My Midland Compound arrived yesterday and I am running it in now. I have a couple of questions :

1. How close should the tender be set to the locomotive ? As close as possible ?

2. In the bag of bits and pieces, there is a large, black oval shape piece of plastic. What is this ?

3. The black pipe running down the right hand side of the boiler has been bent out of shape and the end which should be attached to the side of the smokebox sticks out by about 2mm. If I could get this pipe off, I could bend it back into shape by ''over bending'' it. Would they have glued this pipe to the boiler or would it just be pushed in ? If it is glued then I am in trouble so suggestions would be appreciated.

NOTE : I live in Cairns, Australia so returning it is not an option.

My Midland Compound arrived yesterday and I am running it in now. I have a couple of questions :

1) pretty much as close as your curves allow. It is sprung, so if you don't tighten the screw it may be good enough as-is.

2) Don't know off hand.

3) The relevant fittings appear to be interference fits, not glued. I prized off (whatever that pipe is - injector control?) by inserting a blunt blade and prizing off near the fixings. However you risk breaking the little spigots that fit into the body moulding - I broke a couple.

Note, No.3 may be answering the wrong question - reference to smokebox door throws me a bit.

Note, No.3 may be answering the wrong question - reference to smokebox door throws me a bit.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant the side of the smokebox. I have altered the original question so as not to confuse anybody else. Bachmann have just replied to my email and said that they think the pipe is glued on but they do not know for sure. Not much help there !

Regarding loco to tender distance, I always set this by eye when adjusting new models. It often requires a little filing away of detail like moulded on intermediate buffers for the ensemble to then get round my minimum 30" radii once set 'right'. Since the scene of this crime is concealed from view by the fallplate it is all gain in overall appearance. The return of the adjustable slide for loco to tender spacing on Bachmann's models is a very welcome development, no more modifying or making replacement drawbars to close up chasms that would require athletic leaping by the poor fireman...

For a design of this vintage the gap for the crew to pass through onto the footplate, between the handrails on cab rear and tender front will be about 15" wide.

In that case if it is glued then only lightly - I suspect it was more my application of brute force in haste that caused the odd fixing to shear. I think I lost two handrail knobs and one pipe mounting spigot in all.

My 4P is here (for now), with said piping removed, hacked up, reassembled in a different order and then fitted to the opposite side...

(edit - further response to brian, cross posted with 34C)

2. In the bag of bits and pieces, there is a large, black oval shape piece of plastic. What is this ?

It sounds like the sound speaker housing that fits into the tender. The instructions should show it in-situ.

I have been running in my Midland Compound and it is a bit stiff and jerky to start off. Once it picks up speed it runs nicely but starting is a problem and a very slow crawl is out of the question . I did not experience this with the City of Truro. I thought they used the same mechanism so I am a bit surprised. Is there a solution to this ?

UPDATE : It is surprising what a few days of running in can do ! It now runs very smoothly even at low speeds. The loco looks great pulling a rake of LMS clerestory coaches.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my Compound via Nicola at NRM on the 19th Dec, confirmed on the 20th [she thought there was just one left], mailed to me in the USA on the 21st and here in Arkansas on the 28th. Dealt with by e-mail very efficiently, excellent service.

Superb model too, must get some Midland clerestories now, i just have a couple of old Ratio ones, this loco will remain in "as preserved" livery, I can't bear the thought of turning it into Lancaster's extremely scruffy example, 41005 or one of their RHD series of LMS engines, 41045, 41065 or 41081.

Edward.

While RMweb was down nothing was wasted. I dealt with a Hornby B1 and fitted lost-wax boiler fittings etc, made a scale models out of the Hornby 'Railroad' D49 with rotary valvegear and a complete repaint etc in BR lined black, and rebuilt the NRM 1000 with low boiler mountings, re-wired the whole shabbang to take a Fowler 3.500 gallon tender, and make more alterations than I care to think about to make the loco into a mid 1950s BR lined black condition.

Hope you all had an enjoyable Christmas.

While RMweb was down nothing was wasted. I dealt with a Hornby B1 and fitted lost-wax boiler fittings etc, made a scale models out of the Hornby 'Railroad' D49 with rotary valvegear and a complete repaint etc in BR lined black, and rebuilt the NRM 1000 with low boiler mountings, re-wired the whole shabbang to take a Fowler 3.500 gallon tender, and make more alterations than I care to think about to make the loco into a mid 1950s BR lined black condition.

Now that's a proper modelling session!

A picture paints a thousand words as they say. any chance of seeing the fruits of your Xmas efforts?

Photos were taken as work progressed, but as Andy Y said not to 'flood' the site initially I don't know when to start on the articles. The site will not allow images to be uploaded at the minute.

rebuilt the NRM 1000 with low boiler mountings, re-wired the whole shabbang to take a Fowler 3.500 gallon tender, and make more alterations than I care to think about to make the loco into a mid 1950s BR lined black condition.

Does that mean you have a Deeley tender going spare? :stinker:

Yep.... I was considering buying a S&DJR 2-8-0 and making one of the originals but it would be a funny-hour loco in Yorkshire so I might sell the Deeley Tender instead. Offers?

Do you want money (not sure what the going rate is for a tender - somewhere between 10 and 20 quid perhaps? :triniti: - you name the price) or a swap, I have a couple of Fowler tenders spare among other things. I don't have any qualms about and S&DJR 2-8-0 in Derbyshire!

Archived