NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

• RMweb Gold

According to http://www.time-caps.../number1479.asp 1000 was the train engine with 3440 piloting her

Many thanks for link to the picture - was 14 at the time and was in charge of my younger brother aged 10 - think it was the first long trip we did on our own together......those were the days.....

Keith.

• RMweb Gold

Mine has just arrived via Home Delivery Network at 6.55pm.

It is superb.

I notice that the protoypical small cylinder cut outs are present on the additional detailing cylinder ends for those with very large radius curve or for display. Very good attention to detail.

It's interesting to find that even the "real" railway sometimes had clearance problems with bogie wheels.

David

I notice that the protoypical small cylinder cut outs are present on the additional detailing cylinder ends for those with very large radius curve or for display. Very good attention to detail.

It's interesting to find that even the "real" railway sometimes had clearance problems with bogie wheels.

Is it known what minimum radii can be negotiated using the two different sets of cylinder ends on the model ?

It does not look like they have supplied an extra front bogie for removal of the NEM pocket like they did with the City of Truro. Can somebody confirm this ?

I can only confirm that it can negotiate 2nd radius curves as supplied without using the cylinder fill-ins.

It isn't supplied with with an additional front bogie but it wouldn't be too hard to cut back the NEM pocket if you were happy to permanently do away with it.

1000 arrived this morning and redefines my concept of "exquisite".

I'll now need to figure out how to standardise her, ready for late 50s service on the PP&W.

Well done NRM and Bachmann, with all other routes to quality model Compounds being somewhat challenging, this is an incredibly welcome model from my point of view.

Compound arrived half an hour ago so I took these pics of the engine coupled to a matching Midland carriage just before darkness fell.....

post-6680-0-66759200-1321115686_thumb.jpg

Congrats MRM. Mrs Coach likes it although I had to give her a 'get-real' drivel-logue about the cost of kit +motor+wheels+ assembly+painting & lining before she agreed it was super value................. Especially compared with the coat she just bought in Llandudno! ;)

Compound arrived half an hour ago so I took these pics of the engine coupled to a matching Midland carriage just before darkness fell.....

Congrats MRM. Mrs Coach likes it although I had to give her a 'get-real' drivel-logue about the cost of kit +motor+wheels+ assembly+painting & lining before she agreed it was super value................. Compared with the expensive coat she just bought in Llandudno! ;)

Wonderful photo...where did you get that coach from ?

Would that be at the Patriot AGM on Saturday afternoon?

Mine was waiting for me when I got back from the Patriot AGM yesterday. It would have been nice to photograph it at several locations at the Roundhouse. On the other hand I probably wouldn't have been allowed to as it is my Christmas Present!

Thanks very much Nick (Buffalo) for taking the trouble to make those links. Very useful indeed.

I wonder if Bachmann were thinking ahead when they designed the Compound as it couples up perfectly to their LMS Fowler 3.500 gallon Tender. This one is off a 'Crab'......

post-6680-0-53191400-1321186503_thumb.jpgpost-6680-0-01697400-1321211657_thumb.jpg

Decoder Fitting - Warning!!!

Please be careful fitting a decoder to this fantastic model. The instructions clearly state and illustrate '2 rear render screws, one each side' and to remove the tender body 'remove the two screws at the rear of the tender'. This is not the case. There is 1 screw at the rear of the tender, offset to one side and two at the front, right in the corners. On no account undo the drwbar securing screw as the nut as the securing nut will fall off, and you will go slowly insane trying to refit it. I know this from bitter experience....

Also, before you run it in reverse, check the sanding pipes under the front driving axle. Mine was fractionally out of line and fouled a point, derailing the loco and bending the pipe way out of shape.

Maybe these issues are localised to me, but I thought it was worth giving a 'heads up' to make you aware of my trials.

Lenz Silver 21+ fitted and 1000 is running around my layout looking absolutely fab.

Decoder Fitting - Warning!!!

Please be careful fitting a decoder to this fantastic model. The instructions clearly state and illustrate '2 rear render screws, one each side' and to remove the tender body 'remove the two screws at the rear of the tender'. This is not the case. There is 1 screw at the rear of the tender, offset to one side and two at the front, right in the corners.

Maybe these issues are localised to me, but I thought it was worth giving a 'heads up' to make you aware of my trials.

That's been worth you mentioning again. I did cover it in the review but it's worth illustrating again.

The tender body is removed by two screws at the front of the tender baseplate and one screw at the rear which is the reverse of the supplied comprehensive instruction sheet.

Compound_under.jpg

1000 arrived this morning and redefines my concept of "exquisite"...

It is a happy thought that the NRM is in possession of an exquisiteness goldmine that can supply such subjects for several decades worth of productions on a 'new model every couple of years' basis.

When it comes to those who significantly contributed to this happy situation, does the blurb with the model say anything of John Scholes? He was the organising national collection curator for the BTC from the 1950s and had a very large hand in the preservation, restoration and operation of this particular loco; which did much to raise the profile of preservation of significant railway artefacts at the time.

It was indeed his pet project. When it was first restored, he insisted the tender be coaled by hand so as not to damage the paintwork. I'll bet the footplate crewe had to wear carpet slippers before changing the lamps! Shame a suitable MR Deeley tender could not be located, but not many remained by the early 1950s. However, in this day and age it isn't beyond the scope of restorers to alter the side sheet to MR profile.

I'd appreciate some views gents :

My Compound was collected from the delivery company today and, on opening it, I noticed that the slide bars on each side were angled down slightly towards the rear [and resistant to manipulation so far]. Looking at photos posted on here already, similar positioning appears to be evident. Is this a] a manufacturing issue [and probably remedied by dismantling, I accept] or b] prototypical ?

thanks

Tony

I'd appreciate some views gents :

My Compound was collected from the delivery company today and, on opening it, I noticed that the slide bars on each side were angled down slightly towards the rear [and resistant to manipulation so far]. Looking at photos posted on here already, similar positioning appears to be evident. Is this a] a manufacturing issue [and probably remedied by dismantling, I accept] or b] prototypical ?

thanks

Tony

If you mean like this ....

http://www.google.co...=1t:429,r:2,s:0

.... it's prototypical.

I can't swear that the cylinders / slidebars on mine are at precisely the same angle as the original, but neither the prototype nor the model are horizontal.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The piston thrust is generally towards the centre of the wheel. The joggle in the connecting rod is a bit messy but heck, it's a fine model overall. I can't wait to fit LMS boiler mountings, alter the coal sheet curve to represent a Type 3 Deeley tender and spray the loco plain black.... :)

I take it your Compound did arrive then?

Andy,

Yes it did, thank you. It seems that any items pre-ordered at the shop are dealt with at the Museum, as opposed to entering them into the internet ordering system.

What was a revelation, however, is that pre-ordering or ordering from the Shildon shop is an entirely different experience !!

I felt that 1000 should have the assistance of its occasional partner 3440 City of Truro.

Thanks to a posting here I realised that, though the NRM internet ordering system was showing that the original, non-Platinum, version of 3440 was sold out, NRM Shildon might have one or two left.

So it proved - I got the very last one out of the display cabinet. The best thing, however, was the incredible service!

The national-rate phone line takes you straight to the shop, and to an incredibly helpful assistant.

Nothing was too much trouble; the building was trawled to locate the shop manager who had just gone on a tea break, and my order was processed (manually) swiftly and efficiently.

3440 arrived next day - well ahead of 1000 that had been despatched one day earlier.

Apparently, the Shildon shop is more than happy to process orders and pre-orders via a non digital process, and I cannot recommend their service highly enough.

Many thanks for you help.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived