Priorswood East, 00 Gauge Southern Region garage layout.

LeeJ

Evening gents! So a little run down on me, and my new layout in the garage.

Im called Lee, and I'm 20 years of age. I've been out of railway modelling for a couple of years now due to moving to Somerset for College, moving house with my Parents, and also rebuilding the other love of my life, my 1992 Honda Civic.. But I've been itching to get another layout under way.. and after my Dad told me about a set of baseboards he knew of that were for sale, I was soon to contact the chap selling them and bought them.

Both were originally built to the size of 6ftx4, to which they bolted together to make a 6ftx8.. when I first went to have a look at them, I knew they could be cut down in the middle so I would have 4 boards measuring 6ftx2, all it took to separate the boards was to cut the bracing that went width ways across the board. They already had pre-built legs with bracing which was a bonus too! I bought the lot for a mere £40.. couldn't even buy the timber for that price, so most defiantly a bargain!

The idea I had was to run them all the way down the garage wall, which measured 16ft in total.. then across the garage door and the final 6ft board up the opposite wall. As the pictures document, all of the baseboards are up.. bit of a pain as the legs only made the layout 3ft high, so I extended them all by 1ft so it sits alot higher now. Bear in mind I'm 6ft 4, so they have to be high!

I was going to turn to modern image if any of you read my Welcome thread, but I think for the minute im going to stick with my Ex-Southern region & Standard class locomotives and rolling stock. Even though I sold alot of it before I moved.. but I'll be buying it all back over time! It will be a 5 road terminus, completely fictitious, but if it were real it would be a suburb station around London. There will be a MPD, 2 track carrage siding, loco spur and a small branch that goes off onto the other board!

Enough chit chat.. pictures!

Over looking the whole layout..

2011-10-08214344.jpg

2011-10-08214540.jpg

2011-10-08214602.jpg

Where the branch line will be..

2011-10-08214445.jpg

I just started mocking up the station throat with old points and track.. fresh will be bough in a couple of weeks, along with underlay. But gives a general idea of how things will be. It'll also be moved down the baseboard a good 2ft!

2011-10-08214736.jpg

2011-10-08214709.jpg

2011-10-08220230.jpg

2011-10-08220029.jpg

2011-10-08215958.jpg

2011-10-08220247.jpg

2011-10-08220325.jpg

That's all for now chaps. I feel as though I'm starting all over again with railway modelling.. But not making the mistakes I've done on previous layouts! I will be no doubt asking for your advise along the way.. I'll even ask it now! If you have any idea's or tips that you think would benefit me, feel free to say!

Thanks, Lee!

Looks like a promising start there Lee, plenty of room to give the whole layout an open feel.

Given the stations BR (S) suburban setting, have you thought about electrifying a couple of the platform roads with 3rd rail to take advantage of the Bachmann EPB's on local and inner suburban services with the loco hauled trains running to destinations further afield?

Chris

Thanks for the comments chaps. I'll defiantly look into 3rd rail! Ill be honest, I've been struggling with ideas for the layout over the past couple of days.. I've built it so big, I'm not sure what to do with all the space I have! I have laid down a few sections of track, mainly to test my loco's that have been in a box for 12 months which is nice to see again!

The only one thing that I do really want is continuous run.. I've had an idea tonight though to build a fold down section so I can make a loop so the main running lines run around the back of the layout with a couple of storage loops under terraced housing and retailing walling, then have a single bay platform with a road bridge over the top along with station building on the top with a covered single footbridge leading down to the platform.

I'll still be keeping the idea's of a 2 road carrage siding, just to keep my stock on show, and a small MPD as I love to model them!

Will get progress up to speed asap!

Evening chaps, bit of an update for you. So I decided I wanted continuous run.. so I thought about how I could achieve this and after visiting a friend, he had built a drop down section that was fitted to the other baseboards via some standard 1inch hinges.

I haven't mentioned this previously, but 2 years ago I started building a 6x4 exhibition layout that I've taken to around 5 or 6 shows, the most recent being September of last year, ever since its just been in storage. It folded down in half to a more manageable 6x2 for transportation.. This gave me an idea to use the scenic side to fold down which would give the 4ft width to swing the curves around to come back on itself.. I then took the idea of having it as a fold down section so the garage door still could be used at the end when its not in operation.

Here's some pictures I took of the fold down section, and the actual scenic section itself! It needs tidying up, but its a start!

2011-10-15191647.jpg

2011-10-15204544.jpg

2011-10-15204738.jpg

2011-10-15204712.jpg

And this will be where it joins to the other layout via a triangular section on baseboard that will be fixed to the drop down section. Copper clad will be used to bridge the gap on the electric side of things. The retaining walling will also carry on in the same fashion to keep the layout flowing!

2011-10-15214849.jpg

Cheers, Lee :)

Thanks Dennis. It sure is! I bought the kits some 4 years ago now, they've been on most of my layouts! Best suited on this one though.

I'll be following the same design through onto the station, then on the other side of the layout have a sweeping curve and a cutting.

Here are some more pictures I found of the old exhibition layout whilst building it. Wont take long to get it back up to scratch!

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

And these are some pictures of a macro layout I built in the summer of 07! All my layouts big or small have a similar theme!

Layout07030.jpg

Layout07017.jpg

Layout07003.jpg

BristolNorth012.jpg

BristolNorth007.jpg

BristolNorth006.jpg

BristolNorth002.jpg

More of this to come!

Cheers, Lee

Archived