Weathering motion and wheels without leaving a shadow on the chassis

Apologies if this has been posted before but I could not find and answer. Other than using a small 9v battery to occasionally move the wheels on a loco round does anyone else use another method to turn wheels while they are airbrushing/weathering their locos. I had thought of using a rolling road to do it but realise over a period of time the build up of paint would eventually seize the bearings. I seem to rememberseeing a stand, homemade, where a loco could be mounted and the wheels made to turn while painting. Does any one have any pictures or plans or any ideas on this matter?

• RMweb Gold

When I weather chassis etc I do not rotate the wheels whilst spraying but do a number of very light passes, with the wheels rotated between passes, not forgetting to also rotate any bogie, pony or tender wheels too.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Highlander, I use a rolling road, the lightness of spray normally used when weathering has little effect on the rollers and any deposits can be cleaned easily while cleaning the airbrush post spraying. I have also added a thin strip of cartridge papera long the edges just masking the sides of the rollers. This is of course on a free standing rolling road. Cheers Phil.

Following advice from here, I've just done my B1 exactly as Hollywood Foundry has described. Hooked up a pair of wires and sprayed the wheels and motion in one go whilst the wheels were turning. No problem at all with the motion as it effectively self cleaned as the rods moved. The secret is clearly to do several light passes.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45352-when-to-paint-a-chassis/page__fromsearch__1

This is what I love about RMWeb. Learning about new techniques and solutions to problems on a daily basis. A big thank you to all who have answered so quickly and if others have a different slant on the problem please post it here.

Thanks Gordon for your tip, as I avidly look forward to updates to your layout. Your carpentery and track making skills are a joy to behold and I can only hope to emulate them. The B1 is look great and I look forward to future updates

Andy M

• 3 months later...

Archived