MPV soundproject in ESU V4.0 from Olivias Trains

Ian_B

These MPV's were mainly used as part of a longer all electric EMU. The MPV was detached and ran for a limited distance on battery power only. I think ( but don't know ) that these were mainly used at Folkestone Harbour.

They would not need run on any mainline on their own so any sounds would be identical to the EMU.

Guest 838rapid

Sorry dwhite4dcc,think you might be thinking of a MLV.

MPV's are self powered double car units used by Network Rail.

As for the sound used,well no ideas as what they sound like

David: yes you could see them on (modern) southern metals. I believe one of the modules on some of the Bachmann variants is for a third rail de-icer (or perhaps sandite ... something like that, anyway!).

Ah yes. Of course Bachmann have also shown prototype models of the MLV as well.

If this MPV has the rail straightening hydraulics it will be a noisy beast. I can vividly remember one of the early Plasser style ones working in Wimbledon station. It was near deafening. As I recall the change in engine note was actually quite modest, just a quick dip in note as the hydraulics were engaged so it progressed slowly through one of the platforms with a bit of a roar, dip, roar, move, roar dip etc. Probably not worth a sound chip per se as it probably only did it once a month or so and spent a lot of time in sidings. One would need an engineering possession surely?

David, you've now mixed the MPV up with a tamper! The MPV is used for weed spraying, and sandite mostly, although there is a version for OHL equipment maintenance, which has more vehicles than the Bachmann one. I can't recall what other modules are available for the MPV.

A tamper in operation is quite impressive B)

Dave, i'd give up trying to describe it now!!

Next up will have a chime whistle and 3 beats per revolution

Nah Jim at least six!

Frankly though this is in the sound thread and if this MPV just tools up and down dispensing Sandite or even good cheer, what noise will it make apart from a standard diesel?

Now about that chime whistle....!

• RMweb Gold

cant say ive ever really listened to one closely it does sound like a dmu though as they have underfloor engines

i suppose the extra sounds could include the generator module running, the watercannon turning on and operating etc, lots of scope for unusual sounds on them

Archived