Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I miss Santa Barbara. Not been there this yea. Was hoping to at Christmas but air fares are too much this year.

A couple more photos from Saturday.

We did a bit of time travel on the layout starting off with the SP and Rio Grande Merger catching this train from the 1990's

post-1557-0-31008900-1379917299_thumb.jpg

We then move to the future to 2019, catching a glimpse of newly restored Big Boy 4014

post-1557-0-07786600-1379917515_thumb.jpg

Actualky it was a different number and one with smoke reflectors that had been borrowed for a fw runs on the layoit.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This Saturday Santa Barbara is at the Royston show so it's time to do so. Me work on the rolling stock.

Last night I finally managed to find a way into the Athearn Challengers tender. Despite the tender top looking as if it's one moulded shell (apart from the ends) the oil tank bit actually uh lips by prising it away from the front end.

This then reveals a small screw below. There is one more small screw under the rear most water filler point.

Once the tender shell was off the sound decoder was unscrewed and pulled up. Then the rear weight section unscrewed.

The reason for this dismantling is to find space to fit a Digitrax transponder only decoder so that the loco will activate the Surroundtraxx system sounds as it moves along the layout

The removed weight had about 8 - 10 mm chopped off the rear part . This morning the red and black elites of the transponder decoder were sol Derek to the pickups that are below the weight. Some insulation tape was then placed over these and also on a damaged wire that was found to have been trapped by this wright when assembled in the factory.

The weight was then revisited and the transponder decoder fitted in the space at the back of the tender.

The factory fitted decoder and the rest of the tender we're reassembled and the loco tested to make sure all was working.

However I noticed that the drawbar between the tender and the loco had become dislodged. It has a close coupling mechanism on the loco end, so tonight's task is how to open up the loco to realign this.

A photo of the loco sitting in its protective cradle which I thought would have avoided any problem with the drawbar. This foam is used as edge protection finished joinery etc on construction sites.

Ian

post-1557-0-48897700-1384328443_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jack, this be the stuff: "Staples foam profile channel 25x35mm for HO or 15x25mm for N. I'd paste in the url to their website and the product, but the forum ip.board's software isn't compatible with IE11 and paste no longer works.

You can buy either a box of 20 or the stores will sell it in single pieces.

• RMweb Gold

Any idea where one can get the blue stuff? Looks like a good substitite for loco cradles

Thius is the stuff but looksl ike you have to order quite a bit of it.

http://www.ukpackaging.com/general-packaging/edge-protection/nomafoam-u-profile-foam-edge-protection

However mine was a left over from one of our sites. We get it through builders suppliers with our trade accounts in fairly large quantities when its needed towards the completion of a project..

Try your local builders merchants.

Ian

Any idea where one can get the blue stuff? Looks like a good substitite for loco cradles

Out of a skip, especially if your neighbour is having a new kitchen (it is used to protect the edges of worktops).

I'm glad to have been reminded of this, my Foam block is looking past it's best and I'm sure I have some of this stashed away in the car-hole.

Edited by 298

• RMweb Gold

Jack, this be the stuff: "Staples foam profile channel 25x35mm for HO or 15x25mm for N. I'd paste in the url to their website and the product, but the forum ip.board's software isn't compatible with IE11 and paste no longer works.

You can buy either a box of 20 or the stores will sell it in single pieces.

Andrew

Forgot about Staples. I knew I had seen it in a store somewhere.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Last night I managed to realign the drawbar on thw Challenger but the spring decided to do what its good attg and now there is no spring in the drawbar!

Seems to be working fine without it.

The kato trucks and the Microscale decale arrived in the post last night  so the traucks were offered upto the Horizon coach. However this set have short coupler arms so these will have to be removed and Microtrains couplers mounted to the body. This will be fine on the fiddleyard curves as I have doen this to the Bachmann Amfleet coaches.

The more dissappointing thing is that the Microscale Amtrak decals broke up in to tiny bits after soaking in water so they are completely unusable for this coach. Time to contact Microscale as they came directly from them.

Another option is to a search to see if anynoe else does them in N scale as I have had Microscale decals break up fairly often as they are very brittle once the backing paper is soaked.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I've heard that before, Ian. Methinks the decals passed their "sell by" date...........

Best, Pete.

Pete

Yes, me thinks the same. I have had this before with Microscale decals but not as bad as this set.

When I put the decal in soak I resist the temptation to straighten it out when it curls up to try and reduce the chances of them cracking. Email going off to Microscale about it with a photo.

I was hoping ot have this second 3D prionted Horizon coach running this weekend but thats now very unlikely.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

The kato trucks and the Microscale decale arrived in the post last night  so the traucks were offered upto the Horizon coach. However this set have short coupler arms so these will have to be removed and Microtrains couplers mounted to the body. This will be fine on the fiddleyard curves as I have doen this to the Bachmann Amfleet coaches.

The more dissappointing thing is that the Microscale Amtrak decals broke up in to tiny bits after soaking in water so they are completely unusable for this coach. Time to contact Microscale as they came directly from them.

As others have said, that's not uncommon for any older decals.

Microscale sells a liquid decal film which you can paint over "old" decals (before you put them in the water!) and they won't break apart...  I've used it to "restore" 20 year old decals.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=6

Downside is they become thicker, and harder to work over rivet or other details.  If you use it, you should probably also have a bottle of "Micro-sol" as well!

• RMweb Gold

Last night a few wiring modifcations were made under the boards, mainly relating to the Dgitrax transponding circuits. As mentioned in previous posts the 4th transponding zone sometimes doesn't work so locos do not register on the last board and hence no sound comes out of the Surroundtraxx system.

I have now fitted a switch so if this happens on Saturday I can just make the 4th board part of the third sound zone.

There is one more modification I can do that Digitrax have suggested so if there is time tonight I may well give that a go aswell.

A few more locos have arrived in the last few weeks and these have been added to the sound system.

Once the Surroundtraxx system is all set up and working it really is a great way to have sound as all the volumes can be controlled just one volume knob to suit the ambient sound in the hall / class room at a show.

We are in a classroom tomorrow at Royston so we can keep the volume down if there are other layouts in the smaller space (to a hall) or turn it up if we are the only layout in there.!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos trom todays show at Royston.

Generally the layout ran well but mid aftrrnoon a Digitrax DS64 stationary decoder decided to factory reset itself.

This one did this a few years ago so looks like I need to change it. Its relatively easy to re enter all the settings however when I did do so it was affecting the loconet so had to redo it.

Now on our way home on a very clear M25.

Ian

post-1557-0-23904600-1384628167_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-02054200-1384628187_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is the latest loco for the layout. It's the 10 year anniversary livery of the Surfliner trains that could be seen running in 2011

It's a non DCC fitted one so will require a decoder fitted. Looks like one of the more common Digitraxx boards will fit inside.

post-1557-0-03707100-1388519259_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Pete

It's now called Bob Hope airport.

It's a good place to pick up a rental car if using Metrolink or Amtrak as only a couple minutes walk from the station.

Huge amount of development going on at the airport a fee days ago though so that might change.

Very little graffiti about these days apart from the freight cars.

When I lived in Greensboro I would go to Burbank via Dallas - I could still get there by lunchtime (nice Mexican restaurant almost opposite the Disney "Seven Dwarfs" building) and then on to the Captiol Tower at Hollywood and Vine.

In those days I used to stay at The Peninsular on Little Santa Monica in Beverly Hills 'cos someone else was paying (sigh)....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1