Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Daniel

We have a choice.

We can either run SP / UP merger with mainly SP and Amtrak phase III

Or modern day UP. withAmtrak phase IV and Surfliners

However I suspect that we will probably start off SP/UP merger and slowly change through the day to modern day UP with the odd NS Heritage thrown in just to be a bit different. I am not bringing the box with NS Heritage otherwise one of our operators will want to run the lot!!

• RMweb Gold

The layouts first outing this year was to the TVNAM show yesterday.

After an hour and a quarters drive from our overnight stop we arrived and were up and running in an hour and 40 minutes, in time for the show opening.

Buy bot did we have a bad four and a half with locos failing, freight cars not liking the one it was coupled to, derailments over the turnouts just off scene and operator errors with me being the biggest culprit!!

The biggest problem with so many freight cars is that despite many of them being well over 10 years old there will be some of them that will never have been coupled next to each other and the two of them not liking being so. Soon rectified but annoying.

The derailment issue was a bit of dirt between a turnout blade and stock rail just where it is very difficult to see it just inside the covered part of the fiddleyaed.

As to failing locos, some of the problem ones ran fine a few weeks prior whe on the test track. Even have one tunnel motor that will only run forwards. Looks like a failed Digitrax board. Had this with a number of the more recnt boards with them eventually failing al together. However Digitrax wont replace them without a receipt and I cannot remember where each board was purchased with so many.

The layout eventually settled down and it ran well the rest of the show.

We started off with SP / UP merger late 1990s stock along with AMtrak phase III trains and the San Diegan push pull set.

The plan was to slowly move forward in time through out the day but we only managed to change to motre modern stock in the last hour and a half of the show.

I didnt get round to taking any photos.I wanted to get some of the Challenger with the teo new Jim and Joe tenders which ran faultlessly all da buy just didnt have rime with sorting out various locos

As mentioned a few posrs back, we sahould have veen out again this coming weeken with the layout at the GCR long weekend show. Hopefully we can do this next year instead.

One taks I do need to do before TINGS in September is to lift the grade crossings panels between the tails as these BLMA etched panels seem to be causing more grief with some locos back to back being a little tight over these. I may just make plastic panels.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Ian I meant to post earlier - I only got quick glimpses of your layout but it is superb in the 'flesh'..!!

It was my lad Cavan's favourite layout of the Show - he does like N scale but up til now just wanted UK models. He's now on about having some US outline as well.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Ian I meant to post earlier - I only got quick glimpses of your layout but it is superb in the 'flesh'..!!

It was my lad Cavan's favourite layout of the Show - he does like N scale but up til now just wanted UK models. He's now on about having some US outline as well.... ;)

Thanks for the comments.

That first hour and a half when it was playing up I was thinking giving up with New scale!

However the layout redeemed itself later on so I soon dropped those thoughts.

Like you I didn't get very long looking at layouts as there's always something to sort out with so much stock. The locos are normally very reliable so he shouldn't be disappointed if he does decide to model American N scale.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last night I started thinking about some modifications to the layout.

Some of the issues we get at shows is forgetting ot set the turnouts correctly (or the routing failing to throw all the turnouts) and now with fewer operators for the forseable future to help at shows I am now considering removing the double track to single track section at one end of the layout and make it double track all the way.

This will be more prototypically correct for the scenic areas of the layout as the single track starts about half a mile further towards Los Angeles. This should result in a more reliable situation where if one track is blocked then the other can still run.

However the downside is that I suspect soem operators will treat the operation like a double track tail chaser when really its just a long passing loop.

If I decide to alter the track then it should be done in time for TINGS.

ian

Edited by roundhouse

Last night I started thinknig about some modifications to the layout.

Some of the issues we get at shows is forgetting ot set the turnouts correctly (or the routing failing to throw all the turnouts) and now with fewer operators for the forseable future to help at shows I am now considering removing the double track to single track section at one end of the layout and make it double track all the way.

This will be more prototypically correct for the scenic areas of the layout as the single track starts about half a mile further towards Los Angeles. This should result in a more reliable situation where if one track is blocked then the other can still run.

However the downside is that I suspect soem operators will treat the operation like a double track tail chaser when really its just a long passing loop.

If I decide to alter the track then it should be done in time for TINGS.

ian

Ian, exact issue I had with Essex. Whether to remove the single track pinch point or leave it to prevent the layout becoming a race track. In the end I compromised by extending the double track slightly to improve the yard limit. However, I kept a short section of single track to ensure no tail chasing. Yes my nemesis bridge is still in use for now.

Every time I've managed to be able to help on SB, it's been a case of too many operators and fighting to get some operating time. Even with one man down for a while, I can't see you having a shortage of operators. I say leave it alone.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, exact issue I had with Essex. Whether to remove the single track pinch point or leave it to prevent the layout becoming a race track. In the end I compromised by extending the double track slightly to improve the yard limit. However, I kept a short section of single track to ensure no tail chasing. Yes my nemesis bridge is still in use for now.

Every time I've managed to be able to help on SB, it's been a case of too many operators and fighting to get some operating time. Even with one man down for a while, I can't see you having a shortage of operators. I say leave it alone.

Andrew

In the past its been difficult to judge who was actually turning up and sometimes everyone did (hence we often didn't have enough lunch vouchers etc), the problem now is that we are down to just me (my other half to help drive, unload set up,dismantle, load etc) and Mike for the foreseable future although at TINGS and Newcastle we have our two Northern contingents to help out.

You will have to install some signals. The viewing public will be so much more patient seeing that the train is held at a red and not going anywhere, or see that the route is set for a train about to appear on scene. Not easy to get signals in 'N' though...

I see, it is a very long loop! The turnout should be way of scene. I just found this picture of Santa Barbara East which might be relevant, looks to have been taken when searchlights were being replaced with 'Darth Vader' types.

13793_east%20_santa_barbara.jpg

If the loops were just used for right hand running originally I guess there was no signal on the left track, but the left track now has the twin head. Google maps satellite view appears to show a twin head for the right track now with a smaller head at the top, so probably can only show red over aspects.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You used to be able to just see the signal to the West / North from the end of the platforms at W Montecito Street. (the tracks effectivley run East West through Santa Barbara and North South either side of the town) but I think that its now been moved further away around the curve.

The loops are both bi directional with passenger services using the one on the North/ East side (furthest away from the sea) but do also use the other track.

I suppose that once I get the block detection fully working via JMRI (and controlling the grade crossings) I could make trains stop in the fiddleyard if one is departing / entering the scenic area so that they can't pass where there would effectively be the single line off scene.

Will have to give this some thought.

The photo below shows the view from just South / East of the station at the location where I have put the turnout on the model, so I thing it will look better if I run the two tracks out the backscene to make it more prototypical. Also the Atlas code 55 turnout is starting to break with all the track cleaning its had. They are nice looking long turnouts though.

Ian

post-1557-0-16762100-1404467656_thumb.jpg

and current google streets view where it goes single towards Los Angeles

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.418521,-119.674671,3a,56.9y,59.97h,85.18t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx21KcmjfXHeWs7MYEqNOHA!2e0

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

You're lucky on your location. Changing the signals over from SP search lights to the UP 3 aspect monk hoods would be major issue. San Luis Obispo has a newish 3 track signal bridge at the north end of the platforms and I think another just South on the curve.

Mind you the operations apects are a little more varied, with the helpers siding for the grade to handle and three through tracks, plus the surfliner spur.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete

A great shot.

One from the drier side of the tracks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=490474&nseq=16

This one looks like its had quite a bit of HDR added

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=470582&nseq=46

The only time I have been on the pier at Gaviota it was much more murky then thys ywt less than a mile inland it was clear skies and hot.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=481404&nseq=46

Maybe one day I might try standing in the surf if I can find time away from all the great breweries along the coastal area!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2