Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

The recent delivery from Shapeways not only contained the Arbel car carriers for Banbury but also "Joe and Jim" the two water tenders that often run behind UPs Challenger and FEF3 on excursions.

These come in a number of parts so last night was spent cleaning the waxy support medium off the FUD prints then assembling them.

The rivets on the sides appear to have come out as horizontal lines which didn't on the photos on the designers web site. Sounds like a printing slip up.

However I have sanded the sides smooth as the rivets would hardly be noticeable in N scale. There are also the tender trucks which take Microtrauns wheels that I test fitted prior to painting the trucks silver.

There are a suitable set of a Microscale decals which I will order in the next few days.

Hopefully these will be in use behind the a Athearn Challenger at the Biggleswade show in February.

post-1557-0-16743400-1389944372_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The tenders are now painted yellow and gray.

One has now been lined and hopefully tonight will get the rest of the decals and then be ready for running tomorrow at the Biggleswade show (photos to follow). The other tender will have to wait as I have run out of UP red lining.

I have also found a suitable decoder for the Surfliner 10 year anniversary F59phi. Its Digitrax DN163K1C. it does need a little packing to get the contacts at one end to make a decent electrical connection with the chassis but a few layers of masking tape did the trick. This loco should also be running tomorrow.

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We had a good day at the Biggleswade show.

Towards the end of the show we decided to go a little off piste with An intermodal diverted off Norfolk Southern lines via the West Coast!!!

This gave these heritage locos a test run. Eventually they will have their own little bit of NS territory in the form of a new scenic module in place of SB.

Some more sensible photos to follow.

post-1557-0-72345700-1391884999_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As promised a few more sensible shots taken yesterday at the Biggleswade show.

First up is the Union pacific Challenger with the additional water tender 'Jim Adams'. I finally got the couplings fitted in the afternoon and once some weight had been glued into the tender, it made a few outings with no probelms at all. Now to finish 'Joe'.

post-1557-0-75800100-1391981785_thumb.jpg

Next are a couple of photos of the Surfliner FP59PHi in the 10 year anniversary livery. Took me a while to find a suitable decoder ot fit into this DC one. A Digitrax DN163K1C looks too small but it does fit.

I prefer the lower angle shot for realism but the photo taken higher up has more depth of field.

post-1557-0-30476700-1391981953_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-87222400-1391981973_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Pete

There are a couple more one off liveries that were applied to the Surfliner locos, to obtain. One is in a blue operation life saver scheme and the other is in yellow. The blue one is going to be done by Athearn but not sure about the yellow one.

This 10 year anniversary is my favourite though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Santa Barbara is my next layout out at a show but not until June.

I did pick up a few second hand locos off Plus Daughters the other week.

This Athearn SD70M has been renumbered and had front MU hoses fitted plus a brass replacement horn prior to weathering.

A photo taken this morning.after a little more weathering done to it.

post-1557-0-69155400-1396420910_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Santa Barbara is my next layout out at a show but not until June.

I did pick up a few second hand locos off Plus Daughters the other week.

This Athearn SD70M has been renumbered and had front MU hoses fitted plus a brass replacement horn prior to weathering.

A photo taken this morning.after a little more weathering done to it.

Looks good. Hopefully that is one of the chassis variations that is easy to DCC.

Fortunately 4526 is one of the UP SD70Ms with the earlier tapered nose style (and straight radiators) as modelled by Athearn* - the last UP ones (and all but the first 10 NS ones) have the straight-sided nose as modelled by Kato.

4526 (tapered nose, straight radiators): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=307005

4993 (tapered nose, flared radiators):http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=30598

5231 (straight nose, flared radiators): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=176880

*Athearn does the tapered-nose with flared radiators version as well (and UP has them too...)

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian

Yes it now has a Digitrax DN163K1C inside it.

This loco had the incorrect number on it for a flared radiator hence changing it to a straight radiator and by chance I had just received a set of Microscale decals with the correct pre set numbers so was easy to renumber from photos that I Found on Railpictures.

Some more Tunnel motors on the workbench aswell plus more NS locos (some bought by my other half- she must be more crazy than me!!!) for a future layout.

Photos to follow.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Whilst updating my stock list spreadsheet for the layout it reminded me that I have three LifeLike SD7's which I converted to SP SD9's many years ago. Two had recently been converted to DCC so last night this third one got the same treatment.

The only hassle I had is that the truck to chassis wiper pick ups are not do good on this one. I may have to hard Eire the trucks if it proves to be unreliable.

Now to try and make space in the stock boxes for term.

Some photos to follow.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andrew

That would be nice but the car is already packed tighly when loaded. Would be handy for use on Banbury aswell though!

At the most recent shows with Santa Barbara we have trialled running the layout with SP / UP locos from the merger period then moving forward ot just the latest UP and Amtrak stock although we dont have quite enough modern UP power to do this comfortably hence purchasing a few more locos, although I couldn't resist a few more SP tunnel motors!!!

We have a three day show at the great Central Railway in the SUmmer so we will propbly do this again but maybe a whole day of one era then swap the next day.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I decided to line up all three SP SD9's on tbe small test track all together for the first time in some years.

He only downside is that the wheel flanges are a little too deep for this Atlas code 55 which is what is also used on the events sections of Fort Myers.

Will see how they perform on the layout but I fear that I am going to have to file the flanges down a touch.

post-1557-0-72784100-1396558066_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

We had a good day at the Biggleswade show.

Towards the end of the show we decided to go a little off piste with An intermodal diverted off Norfolk Southern lines via the West Coast!!!

This gave these heritage locos a test run. Eventually they will have their own little bit of NS territory in the form of a new scenic module in place of SB.

Some more sensible photos to follow.

New scenic module? hopefully something from the Harrisburg -Pittsburg line...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a brief update on forthcoming shows for the layout.

We have had to drop out of the Great Central Railway show which we were really looking forward to doing as it sounds a great show but unfortunately Dad died a few days ago and the funeral is on the Friday of that show.

However we still will be attending the Trent Valley North American Modellers one day show on 14th June.

Noy a lot done on the layout recently but the two UP water tenders Jim and Joe are now just about finished so they will be seen behind the Challenger special runs.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

David

The coach has been there for about five years now. I did think about modelling it it but as I had to compress the car park area it won't fit in. If I ever extend the layout (and Banbury as it uses the same fiddleyard) then I will add it.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Ian

The old Rivarossi cafe/observation car might be a starting point. It even has the aircon duct on one side of the  roof.

http://www.spookshow.net/passenger/rivheavy.html

http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/protopass1.htm

Ot the Microtrains Pullman 3-2

http://www.spookshow.net/passenger/mtheavy.html.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest freight car added to the fleet is a Microtrains 85'spine log car. It comes with an unpainted resin log load.

I had a look at a few photos prior to weathering and painting the logs.

The photo shows the end result after adding the straps made from masking tape coated in canopy glue to add some strength and hold them in place.

This can be seen turning at TV ad show this Saturday.

Ian

post-1557-0-61057800-1402511894_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning I was up early working on a few new locos some which arent really suitable for Santa Barbara but needed to be finished and put away. The Metra F40PH and CSX SD90Mac are now in the stock box!!

However I managed to get the horns fitted to a Southern Pacific Tunnel motor so they just need painting tonight.

A little modification to the wiring on one of the boards will hopefully improve the under board Soundtraxx sound system operation and some more foliage was added last night.

So tonights job  is to box up the boards, making sure that I take All the Santa Barbara ones and none of Banbury!!

Loading will have to be tomorrow night as its going to be too hot to leave it in the car tomorrow during the day but all the other boxes and bags are now together filling up the living room.

Looking forward to TVNAM show this Saturday.

After this one, the layouts next show is now TINGS in September. Just a shame that we had to withdraw from the Great Central show but thats life.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1