Windows...

My first post here, whilst I wait for some glue to dry...

I'm in the middle of scratchbuilding some low relief terraced houses for my road transport dioarama, but am wondering how to make the windows look...better? Curtains (coloured paper?) etc At the moment, they're just clear plastic. Also, I'm wondering how to do the frame, address label cut thin enough? It doesn't need to be 3D.

I am sure you will receive guidance from others more experienced than I am but I have been pleased with the results from the following method: having cut out the apertures from the facing (eg brick paper) and the backing (eg plastic sheet), I cut thin strips from plastic sheet to form the frame and stick them to the back of the backing so that they show through the aperture, thereby forming an inset frame. I then stick clear plastic to the back of that to resemble glass. Glazing bars are then formed from fine plastic rod or half-round and stuck to the outside. Curtains (from coloured paper or card can then be stuck to the back of the "glass". For all plastic-to-plastic gluing I use plastic cement but for the curtains I use solvent-free Evostik.

If your "glass" has already been fixed, you can probably stick the frame to the outside but you will need to be very accurate with your cutting. It is also possible to fit window sills. The problem with this method is that all my frames are white. If you paint the plastic first, you will not be able to use plastic cement to stick the bits together. Painting afterwards will be tricky.

Harold.

Will's do some plastic windows, I am sure there are some etched ones available from somewhere. Scale-Link do some etched front doors. For curtains I use coloured paper, but set it back from the windows for best effect. Tissue paper can be used for net curtains.

HI

If you look up on here about brass doors i put up a week ago ,I have put up a list of all the brass doors and windows you can get.

For curtains have a look at a few home furnishing catalogue's, and just cut out some pieces of curtain from the catalogue picture. For net curtains I use tracing paper.

Hop this helps out

Darren

• RMweb Gold

If you are to bother with curtains, you might want to think about a simple interior scene to go behind them. Try looking on the Internet - where you'll also find lots of curtain designs, of course - for images of bedrooms, lounges, kitchens, whatever. These can be printed on cheap paper, and stuck behind the curtains, allowing maybe a few mm gap to give an impression of depth. The same applies to shop windows, of course. It will put your models ahead of those who only model the windows, certainly.

For curtains one method I came across watching right track 7 on building buildings with Geoff taylor he uses actual photos from the Argos catalogue or any catalogue and cut to the size required , depending on how much detail you require on windows Geoff Taylor does etched brass windows and commissions . Hope this maybe of use .

Regards Dan

Archived