Bachmann 36554 21 pin chip - jittery running - any other recommendations?

dave flint

I've just put one of these into the tender of my Bachmann Super D. I have to say I'm seriously non-plussed with the performance on my ez command test track. Its fine when running, but when drawing to a halt - or setting off after reversing direction - the thing jolts away as if full power has been momentarily applied.

I'm putting myself in Bachmann's hands and not opening up the body to remove capacitors......

Any Ideas ? Will the famous "alter the cv settings" for their 36553 chip work here ?

• RMweb Gold

I'm putting myself in Bachmann's hands and not opening up the body to remove capacitors......

But that's what I'd recommend following a similar experience with a Robinson O4 - same symptoms, clipped the capacitors off the motor, hey presto!

Well, I've had the problem persist after doing same with 36553's on other rolling stock.

I'm tempted to try out a Hornby Sapphire...any thoughts ? PS Don't want to do mail order for chips as I'm in the doghouse with SWMBO with internet purchases.......

You need to adjust CVs 54 and 55 to eliminate the kangaroo starting and stopping. It's a common occurrence with Bachmann 36-553 and 554 decoders. There is a page on the Bachmann website (which I can never find) which gives suggested values for various models.

Edit. Just found the Bachmann link

Thanks RFS

Hi

If you're using the Bachmann EZ Command basic DCC system you cannot alter CVs! (Other than those preset within the console - e.g. direction of travel, address number etc)

You will need a DCC console with a more up market capability of being able as a minimum to write all CVs and better to is for it to be able to read back CV values too.

The cause is almost certainly to be around the Bemf controls. With the values in CV54 and CV55 being the two to adjust.

Archived