Paint Fading

Hi all,

After getting some great advice here on RM Web re: paint fading I tried on some scrap plasticard to fade a BR Blue colour using white paint with my Premi Air airbrush but what seems to be happening is that I'm merely respraying it white, there doesnt seem to be any fading effect.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Too much paint ?

I use oils for the fader (e.g pink for fading reds) and put small amounts onto the sides (using a cocktail stick) and then very gently drag these bits down using a good quality brush dipped in good quality turpentine to make runs, bleaches etc

Whether (weather ?) I do a good job is down to others to judge. No photos to hand I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

I don't spray at all but others do with excellent results.

I got my technique from Tony Sissons and some inspiration off the net, sadly one of the sites has now gone.

As I said, I dab small patches of oil paints onto the model, and then use a brush with turps to drag the blob out, depending on what you are trying to achieve this can either be to form a wash or it can be left t form a rusty mark with runs, it's not a quick technique but it does work, very well imho.

hth

To get a fade effect using oils I'd recommend checking out "the weathering shop" website. If you want use an airbrush then use a v thin paint mix i.e. 10:1 using as low a pressure as you can get away with. Apply a thin pass and check the effect to ensure you don't overdo it.

Hope this helps

Dan Spalding

• 3 weeks later...

I find that if you spray very thinned white on it looks, well, like very thinned white paint sprayed on, a bit like the effect you get in a chin clay environment. I have to agree with Beast and say use a brush and a small amount of a lighter version of the colour that you are fading. I don't drag and thin a he does though, I use and old brush and kinda dry brush and scrub it on to simulate the faded paint. Below I''ve attached a couple of 08's I did that show faded paint. The first used a pink paint to lighten the EWS red and the second used a light blue, I think provincial blue if memory serves.

post-6696-0-76056400-1301173393_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-47672100-1301296383_thumb.jpg

Cav

Archived