Dapol terrier N chassis

rope runner

Hi Paul (also sent by PM)

I have taken one apart and I'm beginning the process of designing a new body for it. Be careful, only try to take one apart if you are sure that you want to discard the body (or risk a slightly bent pile of bits in your spares box!!) as it does not seem to have been designed with dis-assembly in mind!

There is not much to show for it yet, but progress will appear on my blog, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/351/entry-7823-3d-printing-for-the-Dapol-n-gauge-terrier-chassis/

I can get some measurements and photos for you if you like.

All the best,

Will

• 2 weeks later...

I can get some measurements and photos for you if you like.

Here we go.... Some reference shots of the basic Terrier chassis with a Peco/Wills Peckett body for comparison.. on Paul's suggestion (see original post) I dug around in my parts box to find one of these little white metal bodies that I had bought, as a ball of epoxy resin and green paint, for a couple of quid at a swapmeet.

post-1601-0-32168600-1320426047.jpg

Anyone who knows the Peco 'industrials' will be aware that they are a little on the chunky side. This is especially the case for a typical little Peckett 0-4-0st. However, for a bigger Peckett X-type 0-6-0

(see http://www.martynban...ckett/locos.htm ) it is much nearer the mark. Particularly looking at 'No.1424, Type-X2... Not a finescale reproduction, but a handsome approximation.

The pics below show that the body sits a little far back, with a big gap from the front buffer beam to the smokebox door, and consequently no room for the cab (!!). This can easily be remedied by removing the hatched areas (which serve no real purpose) as indicated. With this done it will fit perfectly.

Any work beyond this counts as proper modelling and probably should be put somewhere else (look out on my blog). Maybe there could be a 'Terrier cross-breed' workshop thread somewhere on RM Web! (any suggestions as to where the thread should go.... it could cover 2mm or 4mm Terriers!)

post-1601-0-93114800-1320425983.jpg

post-1601-0-56118500-1320426007.jpg

post-1601-0-43847100-1320426021.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Here we go.... Some reference shots of the basic Terrier chassis with a Peco/Wills Peckett body for comparison.. on Paul's suggestion (see original post) I dug around in my parts box to find one of these little white metal bodies that I had bought, as a ball of epoxy resin and green paint, for a couple of quid at a swapmeet.

post-1601-0-32168600-1320426047.jpg

Anyone who knows the Peco 'industrials' will be aware that they are a little on the chunky side. This is especially the case for a typical little Peckett 0-4-0st. However, for a bigger Peckett X-type 0-6-0

(see http://www.martynban...ckett/locos.htm ) it is much nearer the mark. Particularly looking at 'No.1424, Type-X2... Not a finescale reproduction, but a handsome approximation.

The pics below show that the body sits a little far back, with a big gap from the front buffer beam to the smokebox door, and consequently no room for the cab (!!). This can easily be remedied by removing the hatched areas (which serve no real purpose) as indicated. With this done it will fit perfectly.

Any work beyond this counts as proper modelling and probably should be put somewhere else (look out on my blog). Maybe there could be a 'Terrier cross-breed' workshop thread somewhere on RM Web! (any suggestions as to where the thread should go.... it could cover 2mm or 4mm Terriers!)

post-1601-0-93114800-1320425983.jpg

post-1601-0-56118500-1320426007.jpg

post-1601-0-43847100-1320426021.jpg

Looks like a neat conversion, but I fear that the engine could not work in real life as it is currently configured because the chimney-smokebox-putative cylinders would be directly in line with the front axle. It would need to have the saddle tank bodywork moved forward a bit to be convincing.

Tim

Will, thanks for posting those up, just what I've been looking for with a Terrier in the post.

Is the plastic cradle around the motor cut out of the bodyshell, or is it a separate piece? I've read reference to a motor cradle in the body in a DCC fitting guide, I guess this is it.

Paul, I guess we're both looking at the same project here...

jo

Will, thanks for posting those up, just what I've been looking for with a Terrier in the post.

Is the plastic cradle around the motor cut out of the bodyshell, or is it a separate piece? I've read reference to a motor cradle in the body in a DCC fitting guide, I guess this is it.

Paul, I guess we're both looking at the same project here...

jo

Hi Jo - yes, I believe we do :)

I've had the plastic cradle off the base and it holds the motor in place. The motor is marginally too wide and long for the Janus body-shell, so it may well be a case of finding a smaller motor which fits within the bonnet (Nigel Lawton? Any other suggestions...?)

I’ll start work on mine at xmass

Paul A

Archived