Birkenhead 2011 Model Railway Exhibition (Merseyside MRS)

Nicktuk159

(Merseyside Model Railway Society)

Birkenhead 2011

Model Railway Exhibition

- October 29 & 30, 2011 at Pacific Road Arts Centre, Pacific Road, Birkenhead, Wirral, Merseyside

CH41 1LJ (link to map - but note that Queensway is under the ground in a tunnel !)

20 layouts, traders, demonstrators and Society stands, hot and cold refreshments, licensed bar, tram rides, free vintage bus rides!

Saturday 29th Oct. 10am - 5pm

Sunday 30th Oct. 10am - 5pm

Layouts include to date: Ardson (OO); Barmouth Bridge (O); Brocklebank Dock (OO); Bishop Wearburn (N); Coed Helen (N): Dolgellau (OO); Gillan & Brown (O); Jacksonville Yard (American HO); Margam TMD (2mm); Maloja (Swiss HO); Pexhill (OO9); Shake the Box (OO); Steiglitz (Z); St Giles (OO); St George's Quay (OO); Threeson's Bridge (O); Wassenen (Swiss N); Western Avenue (O); West Lancs 'O' Gauge running track (O); Widnes Vineyard (OO)

Traders: Dave's Railway Videos, Finishing Touches, Freestone Model Accessories, Hoyle's Models, MMRS Club Books and Magazines, MMRS Club Shop, Model Roads & Tramways, Nick Tozer Railway Books, Penketh Model Railway Centre, PL Models, The Trainman, Ultimate Allocations, Warrington Totems, World of Motion

Societies: 201 Bus Group, GWR Society, Help for Heroes, MerseyRail, Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society, New Brighton Model Boat Club, Rainhill Model Railway Club, West Lancs 'O' Gauge, Wirral Model Engineers

The Society locomotive clinic and stand will be there so bring your casualties along.

Free parking in our off-street car park, disabled Access.

Prices unchanged for 3 years

Adults £4.50; Children £2.50; 5 & under FREE; Concessions £3.50

All being well I will attend it is just across the border in England from where I live I have business to attend to on Friday but all being well this won't deter me from going!

Note this year IT IS NOT open Friday evening

Regards

Mike

If all goes to plan I should be visiting on Saturday afternoon. The London Midland £10 fare promotion should get me up from London, then ferry across the Mersey, and tram to outside the venue!

Hopefully the whole lkength of the tramway is open now, when I visited earlier in the year the bit to the ferry terminal was out of use whilst the Police gate was under repair.

I hadn't even heard of the Birkenhead trams until about this time last year... well worth a visit - although I no nothing about trams - perhaps someone could enlighten me to the origin of this pair?

post-336-0-33000600-1319741121.jpg

post-336-0-05620400-1319741134.jpg

and for those who enjoy a bit of dockside furniture, how about this?

post-336-0-07505200-1319741146.jpg

Jon

Hopefully the whole lkength of the tramway is open now, when I visited earlier in the year the bit to the ferry terminal was out of use whilst the Police gate was under repair.

I hadn't even heard of the Birkenhead trams until about this time last year... well worth a visit - although I no nothing about trams - perhaps someone could enlighten me to the origin of this pair?

post-336-0-33000600-1319741121.jpg

post-336-0-05620400-1319741134.jpg

Jon

Yes the whole line is now open again - it was only closed for a few weeks.

The Blue/Cream double decker is Birkenhead 69. One of a pair (69 and 70) built specifically for the Birkenhead Heritage Tramway by Hong Kong Tramways in 1992. They are a double ended version of the then standard HK Body design.

The yellow tram is Lisbon 730. Originally brought to the UK for the Seaton Tramway, but never used there. It was moved north and regauged from metre to standard gauge around 2004/5 ish.

Paul

The Blue/Cream double decker is Birkenhead 69. One of a pair (69 and 70) built specifically for the Birkenhead Heritage Tramway by Hong Kong Tramways in 1992. They are a double ended version of the then standard HK Body design.

Thanks Paul - so presumably these were paid for by the local council? was there an intent for the Birkenhead tramway to be a public transport system?

Jon

Thanks Paul - so presumably these were paid for by the local council? was there an intent for the Birkenhead tramway to be a public transport system?

Jon

The tramway was always to be a "heritage" project. The council ran it at first but now the Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society do so.

They also have trams from Birkenhead, Wallasey and Liverpool running with another two (from Warrington and Liverpool) under repair.

Their website is (if I've got it right!)

http://www.mtps.co.uk/

The tramway was always to be a "heritage" project. The council ran it at first but now the Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society do so.

They also have trams from Birkenhead, Wallasey and Liverpool running with another two (from Warrington and Liverpool) under repair.

Their website is (if I've got it right!)

http://www.mtps.co.uk/

Operation is by the MTPS who also own the historic cars, but the two HK cars and the permanent way are still assets of Wirral Borough Council.

There is an on-off-on-off proposal for Mersey Travel to take over the line from WBC and Mersey Travel also have Blackpool Railcoach 626 in store in connection with this...

Operation is by the MTPS who also own the historic cars, but the two HK cars and the permanent way are still assets of Wirral Borough Council.

There is an on-off-on-off proposal for Mersey Travel to take over the line from WBC and Mersey Travel also have Blackpool Railcoach 626 in store in connection with this...

I had heard of the various proposals but I'm not quite sure how far they've got with them. It does explain why 626 has been outside the Pacific Road complex for a while with Woodside on the indicator.

post-6748-0-20572900-1319919882.jpg

A few pics from the exhibition.

post-6748-0-90970000-1319919954.jpg

Brocklebank Dock,built in an old seafarer's chest (not really the best way to show it, I think).

post-6748-0-12687500-1319920117.jpg

Coed Helen a N scale layout featuring standard and narrow gauge (on the higher level)

Pexhil 009 gauge

post-6748-0-39703600-1319920291.jpg

Shake the box 00 gauge

post-6748-0-76500200-1319920414.jpg

Jacksonville Yard HO gauge

post-6748-0-28006800-1319920572.jpg

Dolgellau 00 gauge

post-6748-0-11063900-1319920653.jpg

Outside Birkenhead bus No10 was giving free rides

post-6748-0-63969900-1319920780.jpg

Each year, I visit just a few local shows, but in spite of only living the other side of the river, today was the first time that I have visited the Birkenhead show. I have to say it was excellent, - great value for money, with every layout of a high standard, and all the operators seemed to be very approachable to talk about their layouts. The venue was good, and I will definitely have this show on my calendar for next year. Congrats to all the organisers and layouts - first class.

JD

• RMweb Gold

As an exhibitor I'd just like to say thank you to the MMRS team for making me feel welcome.

Shake-the-Box had a continual stream of 'guest operators' from the children at the show (and a couple of adults). Given that each driver got a jelly baby and four packets were consumed over the weekend I think it was well received!

And big thank you to Redgate Models who helped out over the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

More thanks for the MMRS team for their hospitality.

Widnes performed impeccably over the weekend and we had several guest operators, including a few who needed to stand on the stools to see over the backscene, hopefully they will go away withg a pleasant memory and may one day build their own Widnes*

Amusing moment of the show was a chat with someone who remembered VineYard station :O :no: - and nice moment was chatting with a guy who was a signalman in Widnes No.1 box (our derelict box is a model of Widnes No.1)

* other layouts are available.

• RMweb Gold

A great weekend for me too. Big thanks to the MMRS, Dave Harrison of St Giles for the lift and Ian Morton for letting me play with his trainset all weekend. great to meet up again with some familiar faces and meet new ones.

Beast's comment about guest operators seems to have been a common thread throughout the show, Ian's layout was primarily operated by kids and St Giles had several guest operators too - especially on Sunday afternoon when two girls from the digs operated whilst the chaps started packing away stock that would not run again that day.

We saw more of the area than we should have as the Sat-nav took us through the Queensway Tunnel to Liverpool, thanks Beast for explaining that the tunnel actually goes under the building we were in, so the stupid box took us right to the spot, albeit a few metres too low :lol:

here's a couple of pics taken from the balcony on Sunday

post-6717-0-64555200-1320049341_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-16061600-1320049370_thumb.jpg

and my next project if George gets his way ....

post-6717-0-91287700-1320049417_thumb.jpg

and to think I could have been in a caravan all weekend with the mother-in-law ........

Archived