The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Really low flying

shortliner

• RMweb Gold

The lowest pass I've seen on film is of a Sunderland virtually scraping its keel down the runway at an Australian air display. I'd read about this being done but only found film on the internet a couple of years ago, although last time I looked I couldn't find it.

Dave

That looks a bit like a Harrier. One of ours or one of its USMC cousins?

Eric

No, it is not a Harrier Click here

and for Unravelled

The lowest pass I've seen on film is of a Sunderland virtually scraping its keel down the runway at an Australian air display. I'd read about this being done but only found film on the internet a couple of years ago, although last time I looked I couldn't find it.

Click here

Tim

Methinks if the authorities knew, the pilot would be on an instant charge. I don't recognise the airfield but then I wouldn't anyway but if this vid goes viral it won't be too difficult to identify the location and then check the records. That tower has to be manned if the plane is from the same field and the apparent lack of long runway suggests Harrier.

Probably the pilot has been goonered along with the squadron hence the release of this vid.

That tower has to be manned if the plane is from the same field and the apparent lack of long runway suggests Harrier.

David,

Sorry but if you carefully watched the viral, it clearly states that the aircraft is an Argentinian Pampa trainer and it also provides the Wki link.

Tim

David,

Sorry but if you carefully watched the viral, it clearly states that the aircraft is an Argentinian Pampa trainer and it also provides the Wki link.

Tim

That link to the Pampa would only suggest that it is Argentina. There is a further link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault/Dornier_Alpha_Jet which, if read all the way down, suggest that these Alpha Jets have been sold in the US civilian market and I would humbly suggest that this might be where this particular stunt comes from.

Interesting though and, if I am right, only in the States methinks. :scratchhead:

David,

Tim

Tim

I had not spotted the note below the video clip. Freezing the video, there is one frame that seems to show the engine intakes being relatively low and small beneath the wing, as on the Pampa.

Should we be worried that the Argentinians continue to hone their (very) low flying skills?

Eric

• RMweb Gold

That link to the Pampa would only suggest that it is Argentina. There is a further link here http://en.wikipedia....rnier_Alpha_Jet which, if read all the way down, suggest that these Alpha Jets have been sold in the US civilian market and I would humbly suggest that this might be where this particular stunt comes from.

Interesting though and, if I am right, only in the States methinks. :scratchhead:

Do the Argentinians flog aircraft with weapons pylons into the civvie market (or is it perhaps something to do with the US attitude to privately owned firearms :O )?

While reading and researching ww2 bomber activities 617 sq used to suffer from overheating engines on training missions due to twigs and branches becoming stuck in the lancaster's radiators

As well as flying under powerlines etc with a tonne more in explosive than the plane was intended to carry wedged in the bomb bay

• RMweb Premium

My dad was a flight engineer on Lancasters just after the war. They used to fly over the east coast and if it was a nice day and there were people on the beach at Filey or Skegness, they would show off a bit. One of the party pieces, if the sea was nice and flat, was to lower the undercarriage and fly along the sea front with the water turning the wheels. This was, of course, officially frowned upon although the powers above knew that such things happened. On returning from one trip, the crew were summoned into the COs office and asked if they had been performing unauthorised low flying, to which they replied "No Sir". They were then asked if they could therefore explain the seaweed wrapped around the undercarriage!

He never did tell me what the punishment was!

• RMweb Gold

Do the Argentinians flog aircraft with weapons pylons into the civvie market (or is it perhaps something to do with the US attitude to privately owned firearms :O )?

It's more than a attitude ...it's in the constitution ... mind it would be an interesting conversation in the gun shop!

"Just throw a couple of 500lb'ers in with that box of 12 gauge"

That link to the Pampa would only suggest that it is Argentina. There is a further link here http://en.wikipedia....rnier_Alpha_Jet which, if read all the way down, suggest that these Alpha Jets have been sold in the US civilian market and I would humbly suggest that this might be where this particular stunt comes from.

The voices in the OP's video post don't sound American to me - nor does it sound like they are speaking English though I couldn't make out anything they said in any language.

I am confident that the FAA would take a very dim view of this kind of flying and while accidents do occur (like the horrible Reno air show crash) I think it's fair to say the general aviation community in the US is very safety conscious.

The information is clearly provided with the clip of the fast jet therefore no need for any further comment from myself.

Instead, what really impressed me was Unravelled's piece about the Sunderland- his description helped me locate the clip and it was a pleasure to share it with everyone and to please Unravelled.

Tim

The Red Arrows used to do that sort of thing routinely until one of them struck a dinghy.

Going further back, performing a similar stunt in a prop plane was what cost Douglas Bader his legs.

Bader was upside down too if memory serves..................

I love the way the heads-up display is screaming "ALT" !!! at the pilot - the altimeter ?? (just above the time display) seems to bottom out at 010 - which I'm guessing is 10ft - and he pulls maximum G in the climb out and just rolls the aircraft to clear it.........impressive.

• RMweb Premium

My dad was a flight engineer on Lancasters just after the war. They used to fly over the east coast and if it was a nice day and there were people on the beach at Filey or Skegness, they would show off a bit. One of the party pieces, if the sea was nice and flat, was to lower the undercarriage and fly along the sea front with the water turning the wheels. This was, of course, officially frowned upon although the powers above knew that such things happened. On returning from one trip, the crew were summoned into the COs office and asked if they had been performing unauthorised low flying, to which they replied "No Sir". They were then asked if they could therefore explain the seaweed wrapped around the undercarriage!

He never did tell me what the punishment was!

The Dambuster's famously flew low and not just on the Dams raid. They had a couple of goes at the Tirpitz by flying to Russia. One of the aircraft collected a lump of tree en route. I believe it still hangs above the Squadron Bar in the former officers mess at the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa, Lincs.

The Dambuster's famously flew low and not just on the Dams raid. They had a couple of goes at the Tirpitz by flying to Russia. One of the aircraft collected a lump of tree en route. I believe it still hangs above the Squadron Bar in the former officers mess at the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa, Lincs.

OK probably equally off the original topic but...

Another source ('Vulcan 607' by Rowland White, published by Corgi Books ISBN 978-0-552-15229-7) indicates that some other later products of AVRO were also taken down to 'ground level', especially during the 'Red Flag' war exercises in the USA in the late 1970's/early 80's.

I suspect that any cine footage of a Vulcan Bomber (around the same overall dimensions as a Boeing 737 airliner) at full pelt skimming the ground at sub 100ft would be spectacular!

• RMweb Premium

OK probably equally off the original topic but...

Another source ('Vulcan 607' by Rowland White, published by Corgi Books ISBN 978-0-552-15229-7) indicates that some other later products of AVRO were also taken down to 'ground level', especially during the 'Red Flag' war exercises in the USA in the late 1970's/early 80's.

I suspect that any cine footage of a Vulcan Bomber (around the same overall dimensions as a Boeing 737 airliner) at full pelt skimming the ground at sub 100ft would be spectacular!

Begs the question would anybody be able to stand up nevr mind keeping the camera still!

Archived