The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Really low flying

shortliner

Not as low but mightily impressive work from the Master:

Definitely a "WOOOOAAAAHHHHH!" moment.

I got overtaken on the A5 between Shrewsbury & Telford once by a Hercules, but I have to admit I'd never seen a Spit on a racetrack before.... :O great clip!!

Re low-level Lancasters, Jack Currie in his book Lancaster Target revealed his liking for 'hedge-hopping'... one time he got an engine running rough, and back at base the propeller tips were missing. He told the Ground Crew Chief he'd hit a flock of birds... later a report came back stating that "Flying officer Currie may have hit a flock of birds, but apparently they were building a nest at the time". The report was accompanied by a boxful of hawthorn hedge that the ground crew had removed from the engine radiator intake....

I have the book Vulcan 607 too; it states that the low-level flying at Red Flag by the Vulcan crews had the US troops pretending to be 'enemy' AAA guns standing and cheering instead, as they never saw the like of it... the B52 pilot who fancied himself as a bit of a hotshot like that famously killed himself & 3 other crew at Fairchild AFB in 1994:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E21byPXR1ek

The aforementioned Red Flag excercise were famous for the low flying exploits of the Buccaneer but were marred by the loss of a RAF Buccaneer due to a main spar failure near Beatty, tragically neither aircrew survived.

http://www.laarbruch-museum.net/ENG/Crashes/070280.html

The B52 incident is infamous for the pilot who had been reported for similar traits of airmanship and he was operating outside the display envelope when his action cost the lives of his crew. This example of cockpit heirachy is still taught as an example to service aircrew.

Tim

Rowland White's other book, phoenix squadron is also well worth a read,

It would appear that Royal Navy fleet air arm pilots are a bunch of nutters (in a good way)

6 hour flight in a 2seat fighter including a tresspass through USA air space

why not?

that's because no one seems to remember them,

they were a bit secret however, the roundles on them were painted to a different size and line thickness and no one was allowed to be photographed beside them so as not to give away the size of the aircraft.

I just love the, very british, answer to the issues caused by a smaller wing for landing and slow speed - lets blow some air over it.

Begs the question would anybody be able to stand up nevr mind keeping the camera still!

A very good point Mick.

I remember standing in the garden on several occasions, aged probably 9 or 10, as Vulcans flew over the house having taken off from a nearby RAF airfield and climbing on full power. Not only could you hear it you could feel it!

Black Sheep wrote

It would appear that Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm pilots are a bunch of nutters (in a good way)

1974 An entry from my log book :- Bucc either side of ship, below deck level with a crossover in front of the bow - must co-ordinate exit.

I remember the faces looking at us!

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Black Sheep wrote

1974 An entry from my log book :- Bucc either side of ship, below deck level with a crossover in front of the bow - must co-ordinate exit.

I remember the faces looking at us!

Tim

My friend Buccaneer John (who used to fly them - hence the nickname) told me once that you got an interesting noise as you flew by a carrier low down. Apparently you got a loud bang as if you were hitting a tin box with a stick!

As for the Vulcans, they were quite incredible. The earth really did move. Not so much the shape and size of wing, more the four big jets pointing straight down at the ground as they stood on their tails.

I lived at RAF Scampton for a couple of years in the 1970s when my dad was on engineering duties for the 3 squadrons there. The scrambles they used to do at airshows were quite tame compared to the ones on a proper exercise, when they were fully laden. No 27 squadron was the worst. My dad could tell when they were flying by the extra noise made by some of their Canandian pilots, who used to like flying with two engines shut down.

I guess for a similar reason to a bearded pilot, immortalised briefly in Rowland White's Phoenix Squadron, flying a Fairy Gannet with half the engine shut down running on a single prop, with biggles cap on reading a book.

US sent a jet up to see what the blip on radar was.

US control to US pilot "what've you found?"

"erm, I think it's God"

Posted · Hidden by Southernman46, October 26, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Southernman46, October 26, 2011 - No reason given

OK probably equally off the original topic but...

Another source ('Vulcan 607' by Rowland White, published by Corgi Books ISBN 978-0-552-15229-7) indicates that some other later products of AVRO were also taken down to 'ground level', especially during the 'Red Flag' war exercises in the USA in the late 1970's/early 80's.

I suspect that any cine footage of a Vulcan Bomber (around the same overall dimensions as a Boeing 737 airliner) at full pelt skimming the ground at sub 100ft would be spectacular!

including Buccaneers from 208 Squadron at Honnington - and the pilots taught the USAF what proper low-flying was all about too.

• RMweb Premium

I just have to ask... why..??!!?? :scratchhead:

Their excuse was because they needed to know if they could handle the aircraft and complete a mission if two engines failed. My dad was in charge of the engineering side and he reckoned that they just liked thrashing "his" poor engines to bits! Two engines on full power was actually noisier than four at normal flying requirements for power, at least it was on a Vulcan. He had them in the office regularly to explain that their engines needed major work much sooner than anybody elses but I think it ended up a battle of wills and the message never really got through!

Incidentally, is there anybody on here who has seen any photos or video of the final Vulcan display at Waddington when they were finally withdrawn. I wasn't there but my dad and brother went. I was told that 4 Vulcans flew down the runway at what dad described as "undercarriage height" in a diamond formation then they went up almost vertically in formation at the end of the runway. I would have liked to have seen that.

I lived at RAF Scampton for a couple of years in the 1970s when my dad was on engineering duties for the 3 squadrons there. The scrambles they used to do at airshows were quite tame compared to the ones on a proper exercise, when they were fully laden. No 27 squadron was the worst. My dad could tell when they were flying by the extra noise made by some of their Canandian pilots, who used to like flying with two engines shut down.

It is possible to stand under the Vulcan at Hendon museum in its open CAVERNOUS bomb bay and watch a film of a squadron scramble at full volume and just be very very impressed................

Archived