Early Wagons from the Dawn of Railways

These wagons were built using articles from the June 1966 Model Railway News, page 289. July 1966 Pg 327. There is also an article from a Model Railway Constructor, I can't find the year but it is page 59.

These where articles about the time back when the wagons were short with the wooden chassis extended to form dumb buffers and only had primitive brakes.

post-6220-0-77662300-1319485485_thumb.jpg

The one on the right is basically a 40 thou plasticard box with thin plastic detail sitting on a Ratio chassis with the middle cut out to give a 30mm wheel base or a scale 7 foot 6 inches.

The two shorties use the body of a Lima H0 wagon ( green ), the pinkish chassis is again a Ratio one, axle boxes and buffers from MJT. Strapping from an etched brass Mainly Trains etch and then wire and little lumps and cubes of plasticard to give an impression of detail. They are sitting here on the coal drops which are still waiting for their railing.

post-6220-0-08265800-1319485502_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff! I've always thought early prototype stock and track would be great to model - I used to read avidly Stone Blocks and Iron Rails by Bertram Baxter (great name) and visit sites of early railways when I could. The waggons (yes I guess two ggs for your period!) look the part to me - is it a gravity run / horse hauled line you're modelling there, or loco-hauled? I was nearly tempted a few months back to buy a second-hand 00 Hornby 'Rocket' and coaches set but when the auction bids went well over £100 I had to stop myself...

all the best,

Keith

I hope to build up enough rolling stock to represent some sort of mineral railway, similar to the North Cornwall Minerals Railway, or the West Somerset Mineral Railway.

Even these would have something more modern than the Rocket although they kept ancient rolling stock going a lot longer than the main line railways.

I am looking forward to the Kernow models Beattie Well tank, just what I need. And I have one of the old K's kits of the Lion 0-4-2 as seen in the Titfield Thunderbolt waiting to been restored to running order. The Hornby Terrier 0-6-0 tank is almost too big.

I've been adapting some 009 narrow gauge kits to the standard gauge too.

A model of such a mineral tramway allows for a bit of free lancing.

• RMweb Premium

I have the old Keyser kit of two early carriages together with a static model of a Crampton loco that I intend to use in a diorama. The Crampton is from a series that I think was a part-work. It comes on a base with 16.5 mm track moulded on and is marked 'Nord No. 10.

I have the old Keyser kit of two early carriages together with a static model of a Crampton loco that I intend to use in a diorama. The Crampton is from a series that I think was a part-work. It comes on a base with 16.5 mm track moulded on and is marked 'Nord No. 10.

Keeyser did a HO scale plastic kit for a pair of rather nice early Spanish 4 wheel coaches, they sometimes come up on ebay.

I have a pair intended for a future light railway project.

• RMweb Premium

Keeyser did a HO scale plastic kit for a pair of rather nice early Spanish 4 wheel coaches, they sometimes come up on ebay.

I have a pair intended for a future light railway project.

Thats the pair that I have. Unfortunately the Crampton will be difficult to motorise hence the diorama.

I hope to build up enough rolling stock to represent some sort of mineral railway, similar to the North Cornwall Minerals Railway, or the West Somerset Mineral Railway.

Even these would have something more modern than the Rocket although they kept ancient rolling stock going a lot longer than the main line railways.

[snip]

A model of such a mineral tramway allows for a bit of free lancing.

Those wagons are not that old. The shorties were produced to (I think) Taff Vale specifications in the 1860s and some were still in use in S Wales in the 1900s, hauled about by quite chunky tank engines. The use of dumb buffers on wagons was not finally banned until the end of 1913 -- even later in Scotland -- though new construction finished in 1887.

I've started building a shorty in 7mm, though like most things model related, it's stalled at the moment. Hey ho!

PS: there is already a 7mm scale kit of a chauldron wagon for north eastern fans, but I've forgotten who makes it! Gladiator?

Have you heard of "19th Century Railway Drawings in 4mm Scale" by Alan Prior. This has great scale drawings of locos, rolling stock and lineside equipment from the very earliest days of railways up to about 1900. It is out of print, but you still see copies occasionally on eBay etc. I got one secondhand last year for around £20 - but consider it extremely good value for money.

• RMweb Premium

Have you heard of "19th Century Railway Drawings in 4mm Scale" by Alan Prior. This has great scale drawings of locos, rolling stock and lineside equipment from the very earliest days of railways up to about 1900. It is out of print, but you still see copies occasionally on eBay etc. I got one secondhand last year for around £20 - but consider it extremely good value for money.

I am fortunate to have a copy of that publication. I have had it for a few years now and paid a good deal less than £20 for it.

It has been a great response to my old style wagons thread, to get this sort of wagon requires a bit of basic scratch building but that turns out to be even more satisfying than building kits or modifying RTR.

Yes I have the Alan Prior book, which is all drawings from the beginning to the end of the 19th century with a GNR Atlantic and a NER 4-6-0. Pity the book doesn't have even more pages of drawings.

Old tyme loco crew and other figures, I'm slowly adapting currently available figures to suit, the Dapol and Preiser ones can easily be cut about and glued as they are a hard plastic. I even have some Airfix Spitfire pilots who are now carved and filed a bit to become seated coach passengers.

The mention of the Crampton model , if this rolls at all can it be turned into a push-a-long model with a motorised van or used as a train pilot engine on the front of a motorised loco?

The K's Spanish coaches sound interesting can we have some photos please,

A surprising response to what I thought would be a minority interest subject. I've been encouraged to take some more photos.

post-6220-0-45193600-1319960494_thumb.jpg

The single wheeler loco is based on an Edinburgh And Glasgow Loco of the 1860 which survived in service with the North British Railway until about 1910.

You can only see part of the train as it emerges from the tunnel as there are only 2 coaches so far and they are meant to be of the primitive dog-box type.

The first is a modified Tri-ang Rocket ( collectors look away ) and the 2nd a Jouef with about 3mm added to it's height.

To see better modeling than mine a website worth visiting is Rowfant Grange by Ian White.......http://early-lbscr.co.uk/rowfant/rowfant.htm, old style rolling stock and a good illustration of how to research the models for a layout.

Encouraged by the response I have dug out my other old style models and posed them for photos......

post-6220-0-14537200-1319961723_thumb.jpg

Lion on a ballast train. Lion does not run or even roll very well, the coupling rods get tangled so there's some work there.

The first wagon is an old D&S kit, an early short type and all the rest are cloned in plasticard using it as a pattern.

post-6220-0-99757300-1319962236_thumb.jpg

A more modern train, coaches made from drawings and photos in the model press years ago. The loco is meant to be a Sharp Stewart Standard design 2-4-0, similar to the ones on The Cambrian railway and uses the Mainly Trains chassis for the Gem version of that engine. Down at rail level it's hard to see they are 00 ?

The coaches are cardboard as I did not know about plasticard at the time.

A bird's eye view.

post-6220-0-65509400-1319962584_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The Crampton is a plastic model to HO scale. The wheels rotate except for the drivers which are held by the solid connecting rods. It would be possible to produce a working model from it but such is way beyond my skills. If it were to be motorised the only space would be in the tender which is no larger than a 'OO' scale Rocket tender. It is extremely light and there is very little space for any weight.

Mine are unbuilt;

post-6749-0-40533700-1319977625_thumb.jpg

The kit consists of two pairs of identical sprues to make two slightly different coaches. The body sides are 58mm long.

Paul.

Thanks for posting the image of the Spanish carriage.

it's possible it may be based on the ones in the Railway Museum outside Barcelona (Villanova I think).

These form part of an circa 1840's train built to Spanish broad gauge(5'6"...?)

Mac.

Encouraged by the response I have dug out my other old style models and posed them for photos......

Lion on a ballast train. Lion does not run or even roll very well, the coupling rods get tangled so there's some work there.

The first wagon is an old D&S kit, an early short type and all the rest are cloned in plasticard using it as a pattern.

Nice to see some models of the VIctorian period.

I may be wrong, but your ballast wagons look like some that used to be available from a rather dodgy outfit known as Woodham Wagon Works. There were two versions - one slightly shorter than the other.

Mine came out looking something like this.....

post-9472-0-18542000-1319989871.jpg

Best wishes

Eric

Interesting subject. The HMRS Journal has had a series running on early waggons recently by Richard Davidson. The Journal contents are on line, starting here http://www.hmrs.org....ontentsyear.php The articles include drawings.

Paul Bartlett

Paul.

Can you tell me if the drawings featured in the series on 1840's rolling stock are available for purchase separately,

or have I got to buy the relevant back issues of The Journal ?

Mac.

Archived