Roco N Gauge Ferry Vans

Hope this is the right category for my posting. I will accept a slap on the hand if not!

Does anyone have any pics of the Roco N guage Tiphook ferry van (RO25581) please?

Am I right in thinking that Roco also made a Cargowaggon ferry van as well?

If I can find them (I know they are 10 years old) will they be suitable for a N guage layout set in 80s Britain?

Thanks

The Tiphook model is on Totally Trains website.

In the early 80s they looked about the same, but with "VTG" branding instead of "Tiphook", similar livery on a different wagon in my album photo. I don't know when Tiphook took over VTG.

Similar bogie vans to the Roco model were operated in the UK in the early 80s with Cargowaggon livery, and also Italian FS ones in more or less plain silver. See my album linked above.

Can't help you on which models were available unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that Dapol do a bogie ferryvan too (which will be at British N 1:148 scale rathe than continental 1:160 scale).

Wether or not they do the livery you're interested in (or if you can still get it) is a different matter! :)

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

I know about that. Its just a shame that the image of the Tiphook ferry van is small. It would be nice if the Totally Trains website and others could display their images of rolling stock the same way as Hattons on their website.

Hi

I have a couple of these wagons. I will try and take a picture over the weekend but you should be aware that they are to 1:160 scale so appear small when compared to the Dapol wagons.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

I have a couple of these wagons. I will try and take a picture over the weekend but you should be aware that they are to 1:160 scale so appear small when compared to the Dapol wagons.

Cheers

Paul

I had a few of these which I got shot of when the Dapol Cargowaggon came out, couldn't really live with them next to each other.

Pity, as its a missing livery and slightly different type (deeper fishbelly underframe I think and different ends).

I think one of them is the Habfis type, but I don't know enough about the differences to be sure.

Rgds

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I have received this as a PM from Richard Doy

"Sorry to bother you but do you have any idea which month of 1989 was the VTG branding changed for the Tiphook branding on the IWB ferry vans please? Do any pics exists of the IWB vans with Tiphook branding during 1989?

Thanks

Richard (The Junction at RMWeb)"

The earliest I recorded this livery was 1992. All I did was quote the year of the change of ownership, I have no information on IF any were altered so early. For example, this one http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryvtgvan2/h74ba591#h74ba591 was not rebranded in 1991. Those far off days are not like we are used to now, with new vinyls being stuck on everything and it was unusual to make any changes before a GA or IR was required. As a guess they may have done one for publicity purposes.

Sorry, I am an observer, don't do why and rarely do when at this level of accuracy.

Paul Bartlett

Hello Paul

I apologise if I have caused any problems with my request.

Regards

The Junction

Richard

No, no problem except I think it is preferable to share information, it is the type of subject that may be of interest to others. I quite like the way Roco have reproduced that Tiphook repaint - which retained all of the original VTG styling except for over painting the VTG itself (I accept there may be other small differences).

Paul Bartlett

Archived