Hornby Thompson Coaches

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Regarding Hornby's attempt at LNER Thompson coaches produced many years ago, how accurate are they in general terms?

I have access to a few 'teak' liveried examples and wonder if its worthwhile repainting (in maroon) and doing some general detailing

Thanks in advance

The Comet Models site states " the Triang Thompsons were based on BR Mk1's and thus not suitable"(as a donor vehicle for fitting their scale length sides).

I assume this implies that the coach lengths are wrong and at that time (early seventies?) they would most likely be fitted with BR Mk1 bogies and underframe details as well.

Guest 40-something

I checked the length of the longer Thomspon (63ft) against the Hornby/Triang versions and they scale out very close. I know the ends are representations of Mk 1's and I suspect the roof and underframe are Mk 1 based, and the bogies are definately wrong.

So based on this thinking I could change the roof & underframe details to a representation and use the Bachmann Thompson bogies. The gangways I could just leave alone as they would be marshalled between other coaches so not very visable.

Not looking to spend a lot of money on these, just to have a basic rendition of the Thompsons.

Hornby did LNER bogies for their older Gresley coaches which would just clip into the pivot holes of the (Tri-ang) Hornby Mk.1 underframe, the downside being they are fitted with footboards.

This interests me. I wonder, is it possible to up load a photo of those earlier Hornby bogies please?

• RMweb Premium

Inexpensive option- Comet sides, later H bodies. Bit of fettling and painting AKA Coachman and Robert is yer dad's brother.

(Do Southern Pride do Thompsons? If so there's another option)

If you win the lottery ask Mr Fozzard to total build you some of his new product(s) - (see Coachman's LNER Coaches thread) or look at Comet's soldering service and do some finishing yourself for fun. Actually Mr. F's prices are very, very competitive and the end product is superb. Check his www.

P @ 36E

Hornby did LNER bogies for their older Gresley coaches which would just clip into the pivot holes of the (Tri-ang) Hornby Mk.1 underframe, the downside being they are fitted with footboards.

Though there's a risk that the "Thompson" coaches have the bogie rivited to the underframe rather than clipped in as later became the style.

Just thought you may be interested in a taster of some of my Thompson coach projects, I have made in the past the full eleven coach rake for the 'Elizabethan' which was featured in Railway Modeller in 1997. They use a mixture of Southern Pride (sides) & Comet (underframes, ends, roof's etc) which will marry together.

Thompson Dia 350 restaurant Secondpost-4401-0-72261600-1319802729_thumb.jpg

Thompson Kitchen Car Dia 353post-4401-0-40019400-1319802783_thumb.jpg

You will see the Dia 350 is a pressure ventelated type as used on, at first The Flying Scotsman (1946-47) then The Capitals Limited (1948-52)

I will post one or two more pictures of some of the other Southern Pride & Comet Thompson coaches if you are interested.

cheers

silverlink

Guest stuartp

The Tri-ang sides seem to follow the layout (if not exact dimensions) of the 63' SK and 4 compartment BSK. However, the Thompsons had a proper tumblehome (i.e. one which curves in tighter at the bottom) rather than the Mk 1's continuous curve and I can't tell from the photos whether the Tri-ang sides re-create this or not. Their Caledonian coaches of the same era were thicker at the bottom to replicate the proper tumblehome (sort of) but I've a feeling the Thompsons didn't. The roof, ends, chassis and bogies are, as previously stated, pure Mk1 - or at least what passed for Margate's interpretation of Mk1.

If you check out my workbench I'm currently converting one of the Caley coaches into almost a proper one. If you can live with the slight dimensional differences and thick windows the Thompsons should be much easier.

This interests me. I wonder, is it possible to up load a photo of those earlier Hornby bogies please?

I'll see what I can do. I doubt that they will be good enough for your use, though, but still a vast improvement on a BR1! They also lower the ride height slightly.

Though there's a risk that the "Thompson" coaches have the bogie rivited to the underframe rather than clipped in as later became the style.

Almost certainly they are, but you can usually push in the top of the rivet with a small (not jewellers!) screwdrive sufficiently to get it out. That way the lower bearing suface will be kept intact.

The Tri-ang sides seem to follow the layout (if not exact dimensions) of the 63' SK and 4 compartment BSK. However, the Thompsons had a proper tumblehome (i.e. one which curves in tighter at the bottom) rather than the Mk 1's continuous curve and I can't tell from the photos whether the Tri-ang sides re-create this or not

They're Mk.1 profile, so not as clever as the earlier Caley coach sides.

Guest stuartp

Tehy're Mk.1 profile, so not as clever as the earlier Caley coach sides.

Ta, that's saved me a trip to the loft. Mrs P's two pet ones are safe from the razor saw then.

I tarted up a set a few years ago for Thurston on the old forum here. They scrub up quite nicely with some work although they're not up to a Comet side. I used sides and ends and made underframes and bogies (Coopercraft, IIRC). They are 4mm overlength but spread along the whole length of the body so it's all in proportion. As a cheap and cheerful project it's a fairly straightforward win and we still run them at shows from tiem to time.

So based on this thinking I could change the roof & underframe details to a representation and use the Bachmann Thompson bogies. The gangways I could just leave alone as they would be marshalled between other coaches so not very visable.

Not looking to spend a lot of money on these, just to have a basic rendition of the Thompsons.

FWIW Joe, my thoughts are 'why bother', unless you really fancy the challenge and cant get it from some other project. The Bachy Thompsons have just been reissued and secondhand prices of older ones should therefore be sensible; I'm sure that between Caistor show and Lincoln swapmeet I must have seen four or five examples for £10 -12. You could spend nearly that on the Hornby ones just getting the bits together.

Thanks Bernard for the photo. The LNER Hornby bogie looks quite neat really. The axles run low in the journals, which is what I wanted to see. The next issue is finding out if they are sold as spares. I would have bought Bachmanns if they hadnt messed them up through relocating the axle holes higher in the boxes.

Guest 40-something

I tarted up a set a few years ago for Thurston on the old forum here. They scrub up quite nicely with some work although they're not up to a Comet side. I used sides and ends and made underframes and bogies (Coopercraft, IIRC). They are 4mm overlength but spread along the whole length of the body so it's all in proportion. As a cheap and cheerful project it's a fairly straightforward win and we still run them at shows from tiem to time.

Very nice Jonathan, given me some ideas there!

Guest 40-something

FWIW Joe, my thoughts are 'why bother', unless you really fancy the challenge and cant get it from some other project. The Bachy Thompsons have just been reissued and secondhand prices of older ones should therefore be sensible; I'm sure that between Caistor show and Lincoln swapmeet I must have seen four or five examples for £10 -12. You could spend nearly that on the Hornby ones just getting the bits together.

The reason I'm thinking of this project is because the coaches are not costing me anything, if I was to go for a higher quality coach I would most probably go for the comet stuff so spending a few quid on new bodies and some detailing parts seems the way to go at the moment.

Regrettably, the Hornby Thompsons are a disappointing effort. The frame* is pure Mk I with an approximation of an LNER coach side mounted - in self coloured mottled plastic in a cr poor attempt to represent teak effect paintwork.

* Tri-ang's rubbish Mk I bogies* under floor, underframe ends and roof (moulded in white but...) from a Mk I. (I have the bits of one somewhere - the Bachmann coaches are so much better!)

Count on needing new bogies (the Kirk/Mailcoach ones are available from Coopercraft - not perfect but reasonably priced and better than the Hornby one IMHO) buffers and underframe at least plus a repaint.

You can prise up the flange of a Tri-ang rivet to replace the bogie (or drill it out - slowly to not melt the plastic - been there!) and then replace it (or secure the remains with a screw and nut or glue.

*Tri-ang bogies ride high on undersize12.5mm wheels and the detail is rather flat, at least on the Mk Is.

Archived