LMS 6 wheel bogies

Mike, might be of interest but both my Hornby six wheel cars have the old Dapol 'full' underframes. One underfame has Dapol bogies which was straight forward, the other has Hornby bogies which had to be slightly butchered to fit the Dapol underfame. Sounds about right, I wonder what was wrong with the orginal moulding?

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Mike, might be of interest but both my Hornby six wheel cars have the old Dapol 'full' underframes. One underfame has Dapol bogies which was straight forward, the other has Hornby bogies which had to be slightly butchered to fit the Dapol underfame. Sounds about right, I wonder what was wrong with the orginal moulding?

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray

What do you mean by full underframe?

I have a Hornby restaurant car on which the solebars are cut away and the bogies had undersized (12mm) wheels. Is that a Hornby mod to the Dapol original?

I have fitted 14mm wheels and lowered the mounting for the bogies but the cut away needs to be filled in.

Keith

The last time I bought the Hornby D1811 Diner it had plastic 14mm diameter wheels. They are easily replaced by wheels from Hornby, Bachmann, Romford and Gibson. The plastic bogies also take P4 wheels but not EM.

Whitemetal 6-wheel bogie kits covering MR Clayton, MR Reid and LMS early standard can be obtained from 247 Developments.

Hi Ray

What do you mean by full underframe?

I have a Hornby restaurant car on which the solebars are cut away and the bogies had undersized (12mm) wheels. Is that a Hornby mod to the Dapol original?

I have fitted 14mm wheels and lowered the mounting for the bogies but the cut away needs to be filled in.

Keith

Keith

Yes as other's have said the Dapol underframe did not have cut outs and I see from the note with my Flickr picture that the Dapol bogies must have allowed the coach to ride lower. I have attached an old picture of my modified Hornby restaurant car with Hornby 14?mm metal wheels. Since taking the picture this whole rake of coaches (a mix of Bachmann Mk 1s and Hornby Staniers has been close coupled with the Hornby / Roco R8220 couplings. Fitting these couplings to the old Dapol / Airfix pocket is a bit untidy and I really should have done a better job but I didn't want to damage the original coach - so only modified the coupling.

3034537315_bfb28469c8_o.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Keith

Yes as other's have said the Dapol underframe did not have cut outs and I see from the note with my Flickr picture that the Dapol bogies must have allowed the coach to ride lower. I have attached an old picture of my modified Hornby restaurant car with Hornby 14?mm metal wheels. Since taking the picture this whole rake of coaches (a mix of Bachmann Mk 1s and Hornby Staniers has been close coupled with the Hornby / Roco R8220 couplings. Fitting these couplings to the old Dapol / Airfix pocket is a bit untidy and I really should have done a better job but I didn't want to damage the original coach - so only modified the coupling.

I assumed the plastic wheels were 12mm and I replaced them with 14mm metal ones but it rode much too high so I cut down the bogie mounting boss so that the buffers lined up with the other Hornby coaches. However, the wheels are now perilously close to the underside of the body!

I'm looking out for some sprung oval LMS buffers to replace the original plastic moulded ones.

Keith

Archived