Recreation of 10000

johnd

A new build 10000 would be great and good luck to all involved but the FAQ gives us even more hope of excitement to come

Q. Why not 10201, 10202, 10203 or the Fell Loco?

A. Whilst these are all significant locomotives in their own right, 10000 and 10001 came before and accurately predicted the shape of future locomotives.

Could it be, a new build FELL, now where's my chequebook... :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

There was a better one than that on the old forum - prepare to be amused:

http://www.rmweb.co....t=13561&start=0

:D

Pick any bit of railway in a Russian town on google earth and you will find lots of sidings, derelict buildings, etc, and plenty of locos. Found one once near Moscow that if you stared long enough looked like DP2 in final livery, but I think we have some strong evidence of its demise over here.

• RMweb Premium

I wish this project every success, as personally I find it a far more deserving exercise than the various restorations of classes already well-represented in preservation (I mean honestly, how many Class 50s does the world really need? :) ). Historically, such a replica would be as important as (if not more important) than many of the exhibits in the National Collection in telling the story of how rail traction developed in the 20th Century.

However, I do think they may struggle to gather enough financial support as the number of people who saw the originals will be dwindling, and is No. 10000 really 'different' enough to make it any more interesting than, say, a Class 37? Not all of these 'new build' projects are blessed with the fantastic public relations skills of the 'Tornado' team or the inevitable revenue generation potential of the 'Brighton Belle' set.

Is there a point to all these 'Cut & Shut' schemes? At best they will only be replicates and never the real thing in any ones eyes. Look at the discussions that go on about Midland 1000, for example. There are that many non standard fittings on the actual loco, that it will only be recognised by many as a loco painted in Midland Railway style. On the other hand, most enthusiasts probably don't know or care either, let alone the general public.

Best off making sure future types are properly funded for preservation AND restoring into the desired condition.

Get ready now, for the withdrawal of the Class 66s?

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

Is there a point to all these 'Cut & Shut' schemes? At best they will only be replicates and never the real thing in any ones eyes. Look at the discussions that go on about Midland 1000, for example. There are that many non standard fittings on the actual loco, that it will only be recognised by many as a loco painted in Midland Railway style. On the other hand, most enthusiasts probably don't know or care either, let alone the general public.

Best off making sure future types are properly funded for preservation AND restoring into the desired condition.

Kevin Martin

Yes there is a point. I along with many others never got to see the real 10000 and photos can only go so far, provided it externally looks acurate and has an authentic sounding engine, it will be worth it regatdless of the other compromises that have to be made. As for canablising other diesels to provide parts for it then I am in total agreement. After all the same is happening in steam with the breaking up of several of the 'barry ten' locos to yeild parts for the recreation of long scrapped engines. Varitey is the spice of life after all and I would have thought that 10000 would be a far bigger crowd puller than just another peak.

Kevin Martin

I'll be ready with my gas axe ;)

I am glad this is being built, it is a classic the one that got away. Hopefully they can get more free publicity with the release of the LMS twin from Hattons and Rails of Sheffield even if it's a small advert in the Railway magazine or Model Rail. Personally I would love to see one of these class recreating the Atlantic Coast Express of the mid 50s.

As to the 10201 Southern locomotives I was under the impression that the design was modified and updated to create the class 40 locomotives. I don't know how much commonity there is between them but if someone was interested in taking up this challenge I would donate gladly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

would this be the first time that a full sized loco is scaled UP from a model?, hope they get the rivets right :lol:

....and leave that ugly coupling off each end!

Hello all,

some of yous may like to see this,

post-8920-0-84515600-1323875506_thumb.jpg

It's the works plate off the engine for the 10000 rebuild. Its had approx 750 hours of running from new, so just about run in. I do have another photo. But at the moment I'm not going to put it on site.

OzzyO.

I think it's great groups like the Baby Deltic and now the Ivatt diesel group are doing this. Even if not wholly authentic, people like me who never saw the originals can get a real feel for them. The fact they are both sourcing authentic components for their builds is terrific and should be supported wholeheartedly.

Its OK Colin. Apparently they'e got a set of EM2 bogies.

Hello Baby d,

have they got a set of bogies? as this could be one of the big problems for this project. As all the ones in this country are stuck under EM2s (can't see any EM2 owners letting a set go), and do any still exist in Denmark / Holland?

The full engine

post-8920-0-70182100-1323884408_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

Hello Baby d,

have they got a set of bogies? as this could be one of the big problems for this project. As all the ones in this country are stuck under EM2s (can't see any EM2 owners letting a set go), and do any still exist in Denmark / Holland?

OzzyO.

To the best my knowledge there is actually a set of EM2 bogies that are left... possibly at the Midland Railway Butterly. The presence of bogies and the potential to get a suitable PU was one of the motivating factors.

I wonder how much the paperwork is going to cost? If they are thinking of taking out on NR I bet the cost of the paperwork and all that goes with it will make the mainframe cost look like pocket money.

The locomotive will be built to run on heritage lines within the UK, with the possibility of movement between lines by rail. We will investigate the possibility of mainline operation but until we have finished the feasibility studies, it is too soon to say for sure.

Going by that and the general consensus on WNXX* at the time, it is most likely that it will just run on preserved lines. If the paperwork is going to cost a bomb I doubt they'll be able to get enough since there isn't that much money in diesel preservation. Also mainline running is much more taxing on the PU and finding spares for an EE16SVt will be nigh on impossible.

Again, at the time this was discussed on WNXX 58 frames came up as being suitable becuase the 58 and 10000 shared important measurement, 58 frames are availible due to the 58s being at the end of their lives and it will cost significantly less. 58s and 10000s also rely almost solely on the chassis for strength with all of the body built ontop IIRC.

*I hope its ok with Andy if I mention WNXX here

Archived