Bachmann Autoballasters - Irish Livery announced

chris_irl

Marks models and The Model Shop have come together with Bachmann to produce the new JJA Autoballasters in Irish Rail colours.

The real thing: Very similar to JJAs in nearly all respects

DSC3694-L.jpg

So good news you may think, I certainly did on hearing it first, but with the good comes the slightly unfortunate:

95 EUR for a pack of 2!

Compared to the Railtrack JJA which is 35 EUR for one. Pity there's such a premium but it's going to be a limited short run so to an extent is to be expected. And you'll need 5-6 for a prototypical train.

Not to many other details available as yet.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/679/RTR-Iarnrod-Eireann-Autoballasters#.Tq91InJ0n7U

• RMweb Gold

Marks models and The Model Shop have come together with Bachmann to produce the new JJA Autoballasters in Irish Rail colours.

The real thing: Very similar to JJAs in nearly all respects

DSC3694-L.jpg

So good news you may think, I certainly did on hearing it first, but with the good comes the slightly unfortunate:

95 EUR for a pack of 2!

Compared to the Railtrack JJA which is 35 EUR for one. Pity there's such a premium but it's going to be a limited short run so to an extent is to be expected. And you'll need 5-6 for a prototypical train.

Not to many other details available as yet.

http://irishrailwaym...rs#.Tq91InJ0n7U

The twin pack will consist of a generator and a non generator, as they normally run it sets of four with one genny and three non-genny, two packs wont get you a realistic set. Maybe the shops will team up to produce an additional set of two non genny wagons.

As for the price, they are limited run for a limited market. You could always crack open the yellow paint and paint up a railtrack one. Wouldn't fancy adding all those transfers though.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what Bachmann are doing to it, apart from a new livery? The Irish ones have different bogies and none of the hopper door gear brackets of the JJA. The pic above also shows the extended chutes as fitted to a few JJA's and all the HQA inner wagons.

(I'm interested in any mods for a JJA-HQA conversion project)

Cheers,

Mick

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

There are flaps over the chutes along the bottom of the wagons which can be seen if you look at the real picture at the top of this tread. I believe the HQA's have them too.

There are other detail differences between the JJAs and the Irish wagons too. Including:

• Bogies
  • Buffers
  • Side steps
  • brackets and side details
  • chutes
  • Brake wheel

Would be interested in hearing more about your project Mick.

• RMweb Premium

There are flaps over the chutes along the bottom of the wagons which can be seen if you look at the real picture at the top of this tread. I believe the HQA's have them too.

There are other detail differences between the JJAs and the Irish wagons too. Including:

• Bogies
  • Buffers
  • Side steps
  • brackets and side details
  • chutes
  • Brake wheel

Would be interested in hearing more about your project Mick.

You beat me to answering Pete - I was searching for previous JJA/HQA threads.....

This project is slowly coming up my priority list.

Other differences include:

Main air reservoirs - visible under the end sheeting - are at different positions.

Platform and roof are different shapes.

The extended chutes are only on the three inners of a HQA set - that run in fixed sets of 5. (Although I did find some of the very late build don't have the extended chute.

The JJA/HQA has been discussed at length on the DEMU forum.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived