EWS Class 66's which have faded numbers and lettering?

richard60098

Hello does anyone know of any EWS 66's which are currently running in a scruffy state with faded numbers & lettering? I'm struggling to find any in pics, if anyone has any info on such a 66 like this or if you've seen one recently in this guise the info would be great :no:

Thanks Rich.

Likewise.

Pic taken about 20 mins ago............ (track renewal outside my back door)

post-408-0-45648400-1320281221.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Thats handy having a line right behind your garden! On the faded numbers yes i know of others as i've modelled pritty much all of them in the past, its just a fellow modeler stated that some 66's are faded so i was looking to do a couple if so but if no one knows of any then i'll not bother doing a faded shed;)

Hello.

Out of interest, what does 66031 (and 66131?) look like? From memory these were long term Christmas trees at Toton, so presumably stood around outside for long periods of time.

Or were they "freshened up" externally when they were put back together and returned to service?

David.

Hello.

Out of interest, what does 66031 (and 66131?) look like? From memory these were long term Christmas trees at Toton, so presumably stood around outside for long periods of time.

Or were they "freshened up" externally when they were put back together and returned to service?

David.

Not sure whether they were tarted up but they look no different from the rest of the fleet in recent pictures.

For some reason the paint on the 66s just doesn't seem to wear out, what is interesting is that one can assume the same paint is used for other classes of locomotive and yet these do seem to wear out, same with the lettering. From 59s with National Power blue showing through to 60s with white numbers, some of the 08s look pretty faded too.

Regards,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

For some reason the paint on the 66s just doesn't seem to wear out, what is interesting is that one can assume the same paint is used for other classes of locomotive and yet these do seem to wear out, same with the lettering. From 59s with National Power blue showing through to 60s with white numbers, some of the 08s look pretty faded too.

Is this a quality issue with UK paint? Or simply because the 66's were painted from new (presumably primed), whereas the UK locos (and the EWS 59's) have had paint applied over an existing topcoat without proper surface preparation?

Presumably the fading numbers are a supplier quality issue.

Cheers,

Mick

Is this a quality issue with UK paint? Or simply because the 66's were painted from new (presumably primed), whereas the UK locos (and the EWS 59's) have had paint applied over an existing topcoat without proper surface preparation?

Presumably the fading numbers are a supplier quality issue.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes i'd say it is a uk paint issue like with all uk painted loco's they all fade and get scruffy over time were as the yanky sheds don't seem to fade! Those been DRS, GBRF & EWS liverys sure theres a couple thou but its finding them? Note EWS 56's also don't seem to have faded numbers or not the ones i've seen there another class i'd like to model faded but its finding the loco's like this?

The two tone grey 60's seemed to have good paint right up until not long ago presumably never been re-painted since leaving brush works 20 yrs ago but some now are scruffy to and not surprised really with the weather we get here heat then rain and so on as it is nowadays!

Ah but the sheds were built to a price and IIRC that didn't include 2 pack paint, a rather cheap version being applied .

Surely the EWS 60s numbers and 'EWS' logos faded because they were vinyls, whereas the rest of the red/gold was paint ?

Hello.

Out of interest, what does 66031 (and 66131?) look like?

66031 looks like any other, apart from a slightly pink cab roof at one end (probably now hidden by weathering) where the trial white roof (a la 66177) was overpainted maroon.

From what I can recall, the 66s use proper Wisconsin Central paint, being as it was available to GM easily, whereas the British repaints use a mix made over here. Freshly applied, it's slightly redder than the US mix and fades a completely different colour too, the 66s have sort of gone brown, but the UK stuff has gone kind of pink.

I was once told that the EWS and GBRf 66s had a more expensive external paint finish to the Freightliner and DRS examples which I can believe. EWS and GBRf ones don't often seem to have the big rust patches like the Freightliner and DRS members are tending to show like this:

post-6899-0-68636500-1320495906_thumb.jpg

Several of the original 10 DRS locos had big rust rust patches too before being repainted for Advenza, Colas or GBRf, particularly on the cab doors.

As for class 56s with faded lettering - I'm not sure they lasted long enough in service to get in too bad a state. The 60s have had nearly another decade since the grids were withdrawn

jo

Archived