Bachmann Decoder - programming

70E

I have fitted a Bachmann 8 pin decoder with back emf to a dcc ready Hornby B of B.

I have fitted it the correct way around but the loco runs backwards when it should be going forwards and vice versa. I fitted another Bachmann decoder and exactly the same happens so it would seem it is the loco wiring rather than the decoder.

As the loco is dcc ready and all the wiring seems to be black is there an easy way to re-wire the loco or how strait forward is it to reprogramme the decoder? And if the latter how is it done?

Many thanks for any responses

• RMweb Gold

There are some Hornby locos wired the wrong way round. My two King Arthurs are like this - I can't swap tenders because they both short circuit. As already mentioned just add 1 to the existing value of CV29, or alternatively just fit the decoder the other way round. Refitting the deocder would be needed if this was a loco with lights - not a problem for a steamer.

... or alternatively just fit the decoder the other way round...

Not a recommendation I would make. CV29 mod should be all that's needed to change direction.

There are some Hornby locos wired the wrong way round. My two King Arthurs are like this - I can't swap tenders because they both short circuit.

That's interesting - you mean the plug between the loco and tender is wired incorrectly? Both of them? The models should have gone back. If out of warranty I would re-wire it myself.

John

In my opinion always have decoders the right way around

It's not unusual to add decoders and find direction of travel is not as expected, but this is no problem as probably the easiest programming action is to reverse the DCC sets direction of travel. If in DC forwards is where it should be then there is no problem with the wiring.

In fact my clubs Lenz DCC system has just one button and if it's not running the direction you want just press the button, then to change back just press the same button again.

Even the Hornby Select can re-programme direction of travel in DCC mode with a few seconds on the right buttons (details to do this have changed so read you own specific issue instructions).

Geoff T.

Archived