Can someone please identify these loco's please

Please can someone please identify this 0-6-0 loco

post-1131-0-50219200-1320568587_thumb.jpg

I do have the tender and will post a better quality photo later, I have been told what region the loco comes from but not what class. My knowlage of locos sadly is very poor if they are not painted in green and come from the west country.

Thanks in advance

It's got a bit of a GER look to it, but I can't say much beyond that...

As to the model, it looks to me as if it's built on a Triang Jinty chassis, so is it a Wills/SE Finecast kit? (looks a bit like the J39, but the cab isn't right)

Its on a scratchbuilt chassis similar to a Romford one, but differs slightly. The body is made from brass sheet, has split pins for hand rails and small nuts as washout plugs. I think it has been re-motored as it now has an old ECM motor but the cutouts inside the body seem to be for a different larger motor, but I could be wrong.

Seems more Great Central J11 maybe

David

That's intended to represent a GCR Robinson J10/11 judging by the cab in particular: transverse centre rib, whistle on top front of roof, large rear cut out and full height handrail to rear.

LNER ex GCR J11?

Thank you all, as my thoughts were very wrong.

post-1131-0-40303200-1320581458_thumb.jpg

I held back the photo of the tender as I was unsure about the Great Central as the wheels look like they were painted apple green first (may have come off another loco)

post-1131-0-44717100-1320581597_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-87338000-1320581619_thumb.jpg

As I said I know nothing about locos from the north and eastern side of the country. I looked at a Jamieson list (I think its scratch built anyway) and then the Cab and roof looks like those of Drummond, put 2 & 2 together and got 5.

How about this industrial / freelance loco

post-1131-0-46614300-1320581848_thumb.jpg

Made out of nickle silver, sides and roof is 1 unit from a stamping, parts also look similar to a Jamieson. Anyone any ideas about it please

• RMweb Gold

This is a Great Central 9J or J11 in LNER and BR days. Often known as Pom Poms. The builder has numbered it 239, which was one of a batch of 15 built by Vulcan Foundry in 1904. There were 175 at grouping, and they lasted into the 1960s. The chimney on this one looks to be wrong for the livery - I think that is an LNER "flowerpot" chimney, tapering from the top to the bottom. They were only fitted in the 1920s/'30s, post grouping. The Robinson chimney which all the class originally carried tapered from the base to the top. Is this a scratch build? BEC models used to make a whitemetal kit and Alan Gibson made an etched/cast version which Colin Seymour is currently in the process of re-issuing. Excellent loco!

Cheers

Alastair

This is a Great Central 9J or J11 in LNER and BR days. Often known as Pom Poms. The builder has numbered it 239, which was one of a batch of 15 built by Vulcan Foundry in 1904. There were 175 at grouping, and they lasted into the 1960s. The chimney on this one looks to be wrong for the livery - I think that is an LNER "flowerpot" chimney, tapering from the top to the bottom. They were only fitted in the 1920s/'30s, post grouping. The Robinson chimney which all the class originally carried tapered from the base to the top. Is this a scratch build? BEC models used to make a whitemetal kit and Alan Gibson made an etched/cast version which Colin Seymour is currently in the process of re-issuing. Excellent loco!

Cheers

Alastair

J11 or not, it is badly proportioned, the smokebox appears to be too long. Mick Nicholson.

Thanks lads, it has a resemblence of a GCR J11, but the cab sides are longer with slightly different side window, firebox dome and chimney all look different, these may be errors that have crept it when the model was built due to a combination of parts available and lack of good drawings.

I still have a feeling that the cab sides look North Brittish / Scottish but I have nothing factual to base it on. It may just be as I said back in the 50's when it was built the builder used the nearest available parts, with the lack of books, photo's and no internet they worked from memory.

I guess with modellers licence back in the 50's / 60's it could be painted in Calidionan blue as finished off in GCR black.

Any ideas about the tank loco please

The chimney and dome of the J11 look wrong and I'm not sure about the tender either. Most if not all the J11s had a 4000 gallon standard Robinson tender, and it doesn't look like one of them. More like the smaller jobs that went with the J10s. Oh, and for GC livery should have a brass oval numberplate. Not sure about the smokebox - possibly correct for the superheated version, but wary of judging solely by eye as against model v drawing.

To be honest, when I first looked at it the chimney and dome made me think 'Great Eastern'. It was the cab that swung it.

The tank loco's features might possibly have been with thoughts of a Southern G6; but the 'wrapover' style cab has something North Eastern about it, possibly an industrial from the Robert Stephenson works, or the successor owners of that business?

As for the Robinson 0-6-0, pretty typical as a model from someone circa 1960 with only photos and the leading dimensions to work from. An 'acceptable' alternative identity that I would suggest should the owner want an LMS/LMR model, would be one of the class of Pettigrew 3F 0-6-0 for the Furness Railway (numbered from 52494 under BR) as reboilered by the LMS with a L&Y type Belpaire boiler. Would need to lose the transverse rib over the cab roof, and a few other details modifying, but otherwise both loco and tender have many features of this type.

The tank engine feels like a 0-6-2 fitted with too large wheels and missing it's rear truck. That overhang with all that coal must be a nightmare for traction without a wheel supporting it. Has a lot of features of the N8/9 but the front splasher is wrong.

Archived