Building a DJH Caley Class 55

GC Jack

I have been a bit wary of posting any of my work on this forum as the standards are so high and I also have a very untidy workbench!

However this kit has been a real challenge so I have decided to post up a few details of the problems.

I got in on Ebay and thought it would be an easy build with no valve gear. One year on and it is still fighting me.

The first problem was the chassis which had to corrected on the jig and it was difficult to fit the motor.

post-9964-0-19205300-1320784409.jpg

A DS10 had to angled back using a Branchlines multi box. It clears the boiler but it is not possible to use anything larger as the firebox is so small.

post-9964-0-00095500-1320784619.jpg

The tender was the old method of holes cut in the casting I can never line this up so I modified a Comet chassis. It looks a bit rough but it works.

post-9964-0-84657900-1320784793.jpg

Here again with the brakes added

post-9964-0-58122300-1320784726.jpg

The front bogie is fitted with the Comet bogie mount. Its great and works much better that the old methods

post-9964-0-85556900-1320784939.jpg

I fitted the white metal brakes as supplied with the kit. They were useless and quickly came apart with my clumsy handling so I have modified a Comet fret.

So far so good I'll update as I go on.

Jack

Guest Max Stafford

DJH chassis have always been notoriously difficult to construct Jack, so you've done well to get this far! Bodywork looks wonderful though!

If you can though, try and replace your drive set up with a High Level/Mashima can combo - you won't regret it in terms of strength and superior performance.

Dave.

Looks good to me; the chassis as supplied in these vintage kits really does not make for current running standards, but the gearbox idea is good. I would concur though that the DS10 is not the best option for such a robust beast, and agree with Max that a more modern setup would be a better option.It's encouraging to see some of these cupboard relics come to life though, and please keep us posted with your build.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks for the comments and the advice guys.

I haven't used the High Level option as I am not familiar with them. Can someone advise the benefits please?

The firebox is very narrow though and I couldn't get the smallest Mashima can through the gap so I chose the DS10.

I agree not a good choice any ideas?

Jack

Guest Max Stafford

Jack, the High Level gearboxes are self assembly and are generally two or three stage in configuration. The benefit is a very positive and smooth drive that stays in mesh. Chris offers a number of configurations and a downloadable template so you can find the most appropriate configuration. Would projecting the motor forward into the boiler rather than into the firebox give you space for a bigger one?

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

Dave.

High Level also offer the option of motor in the tender and a shaft driving a gearbox in the firebox if you feel up to that.

I think this one is too far down the line for that but I will definitely consider it on my next Caley loco, thanks for the info.

I was a bit concerned about posting this topic up as the standards are so high here, so its very a nice surprise to find that everyone is so helpful and encouraging.

I am only kit builder of standard guage locos left in our club (couple of 009 guys still carry on) . The two others gave up when RTR improved, so its really good to be able to get advice and help here.

Jack

Guest Max Stafford

The 55 Class is a lovely little loco. I built one of these about 10 years ago and managed to coax it into a form of running. I reckon I could do a better job now.

Dave.

This is really interesting. I'd had a hankering to try loco kitbuilding and thought I'd start with a couple of what Ben Alder calls 'cupboard relics'. It's good to read about how someone else is approaching the same sort of area and suggested alternatives.

Have you got some kits in mind?

I have had to scratch build a couple of things in this and replace some items. e,g. the backhead is from Caley Coaches, the buffers are Cavendish, the Westinghouse pump is Alan Gibson and the whistle is Markits.

I picked all these up from either Ebay or in those lovely little boxes of bits you find at shows on decent trade stands.

Look forward to discussing your projects.

Jack

"Have you got some kits in mind?"

They're in the house too. Thanks to Ebay I've picked up a comprehensive range of GWR types in various stages of construction. The plan is to start with an old Wills large Prairie to get some practice on - I'll use araldite on that. I want to practice soldering on brass before I risk trying whitemetal. I've picked up a bag of bits that could be a Falcon Brass Dukedog (stop laughing at the back) to practice soldering on - if anything recognisable emerges, it'll be a bonus! What all of them lack though is modern motors and everything I've read seems to point towrds the Mashima/High level combo.

You can't go far wrong with white metal soldering as long as the iron is the correct temperature. So I wouldn't be too wary about that. I learnt a lot from Iain Rice's books, they are over wordy but contain good common sense.

Falcon kits well OK can be impossible, though actually I have very good GW Intermediate tender from Falcon which really went together well. The chassis was unusuable but Comet do an excellent replacement.

I would advise investing in a chassis jig. Mine is from Hobby Holidays. I give thanks for it every time I use it. I used to spend hours trying to set up chassis, this Caley is a good example. The chassis was not square as supplied but with some mods on the jig it worked.

Keep in touch,

Jack

• 3 months later...

Archived