LNWR INSPIRATION REQUIRED !

rhiwderin_ray

Have you tried entering LNWR in the search box and selecting "Google Site Search". I think you'll find there are quite a few here already.

Nick

Yes but not everyone cites "LNWR" in their posts. Also you have to trawl through every entry to find out whether it is relevant ot not.

Just trying a short cut !!!!

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I was involved with Stockton Heath, an ex LNWR (mythical, despite what some claimed) branch from (mythical) Latchford Junction, Warrington area. Long since broken up but it did appear in the mags. We ran it in (only one era per show) LNWR, LMS, BR steam and BR diesel.

What sort of inspiration are you after ?

I was involved with Stockton Heath, an ex LNWR (mythical, despite what some claimed) branch from (mythical) Latchford Junction, Warrington area. Long since broken up but it did appear in the mags. We ran it in (only one era per show) LNWR, LMS, BR steam and BR diesel.

What sort of inspiration are you after ?

Would love to see what buildings and LNWR specific accessories such as Signals, Water Cranes, Footbridges, Loading Gauges? were used. Just to get a flavour of the era.

Thanks

Ray

I was involved with Stockton Heath, ...... Long since broken up but it did appear in the mags. ....

Stockton Heath - I have the magazine pages in my 'inspiration' ring binder.

Slightly unclear where rhiwderin_ray is coming from, as there's plenty of LNWR layouts visible via Google Images,

such as LNWR Steam Shed at http://www.lnwrsteamshed.co.uk/

Clarendon at http://www.lwmrs.co..../clarendon.html

the late Norman Heaton's Millport at http://www.wiganfrm...._progress_.html

There's also John Redrup & Jol Wilkinson's P4 'London Road, recently refurbished

- I assume Jol will be along soon.

etc., etc.,

OK, I admit they don't show close ups of water cranes etc., but that detail is found in the reference books,

which at this stage I assume Jack Nelsons 'LNWR Portrayed' is as good a reference point as any.

The next question then will be, are there any kits available.... and so life goes on...

One of the problems of a long serving LNWR modeller is the amount of detail accumulated over the years,

I was very fortunate to know some of the great LNWR modellers in the past, contemporaries of mine and the previous generation too.

Ah, a simple question has so many answers.

• RMweb Gold

And Penlan was, I feel, being rather modest in not mentioning his own layout of that name which in my humble opinion is, along with Clarendon, one of the nicest readily accessible conveyors of LNW atmosphere around today http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/1432-penlan-lnwr-in-south-wales-1910-em-gauge/

Some of Jack Nelsons work used to be in the meuseum at Bettws y Coed. Is any still there?

Don

All bar one of Jack Nelson's dioramas are in the Bettws y Coed Museum. The other (the property of the LNWR Society) is in the Crewe Heritage centre.

Jol

Thanks for the links guys.

I don't have any reference books yet - too many other books in the house. Plus you can't always tell what a book is like unless you see it in the flesh - not too many LNWR books in GWR country !

Besides it is great to look at other peoples layouts....

Regards

Ray

........... Plus you can't always tell what a book is like unless you see it in the flesh - not too many LNWR books in GWR country !

Some might say there's loads of LNWR books near Penzance*, and that's deep GWR.

Don't forget the LNWR had Full Brakes etc., getting to PZ.

40+ years ago I did an article on the Dia 419 six wheeled Luggage Vans called 'A Van for all Regions' (no prizes for guessing which film was showing at the time), and I detailed places like Lowestoft, Dover, Weymouth, PZ, all of Wales, Scotland and the North East on both Luggage and Pigeon Specials that these NPCS's were regularly seen at - You would have thought at that age I had better things to do!!!!

* No, not a book shop, though my wife thinks that term is a bit blurred.

PS - Thank you Coachman for those very kind words

- we are at Wakefield in a couple of weeks time, then Railex next May - I believe Clarendon's at Railex too.

Then nothing till 2014 (by choice).

Some of Jack Nelson's LNWR dioramas can be seen at Betws y Coed railway museum. I can think of no more inspiring LNWR models than these (with all due deference to Penlan, Coachman et al!)

Ian (Who would love to see Penlan at Wakefield but will probably have other commitments)

Archived