The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Guest CLARENCE

Don't know if they count as garden birds, but we've had a pair of jackdaws trying to build a nest in our chimney for the last week or so. Just as well we don't have an open fire these days!

David.

• RMweb Premium

07.30ish, 2 House Martins over the garden. Incredibly these amazing birds have reappeared almost to the day for all the 10 years I've been logging them. For several years, to the exact day as the previous year.

Brilliant.

P

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

07.30ish, 2 House Martins over the garden. Incredibly these amazing birds have reappeared almost to the day for all the 10 years I've been logging them. For several years, to the exact day as the previous year.

Brilliant.

P

Does that mean that they have leap year too? :jester:

However I cheat because this was not in my garden but over the lakes west of Newark (Notts.)

I think We will allow it Phil. If I can claim the Wedgetail Eagle I saw this morning next to the Line through the Valley.

He/She was a monster, it took an absolute eternity to take off, but once it did it must have been at least 6 foot across it's wingspan.

I really really wish I had my camera :(

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pair of Yellow Wagtail in the garden this morning.

Bit puzzled as to what they were as they were mainly brown but the wagging tails gave them away.

Looking in the bird guide it seems they are first year adults before the yellow plumage becomes more pronounced.

They are the first summer visitors from Africa this season.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Pair of Yellow Wagtail in the garden this morning.

Bit puzzled as to what they were as they were mainly brown but the wagging tails gave them away.

Looking in the bird guide it seems they are first year adults before the yellow plumage becomes more pronounced.

They are the first summer visitors from Africa this season.

Keith

Ironic then that they arrived on the same day as the snow!

(Only for about 15 minutes this morning but proper flakes.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ironic then that they arrived on the same day as the snow!

(Only for about 15 minutes this morning but proper flakes.)

Actually saw one a couple of days ago and assumed it was a sparrow/dunnock/a.n.other brown bird with a longer than usual tail!

It was snowing quite hard around dawn this morning and car windscreens had a thin layer although the ground was just wet.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The birdsong of late has been particularly enjoyable.

Plenty of recognisable species as well as some not so.

Yesterday evening, even though it was overcast, was particularly good.

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The birdsong of late has been particularly enjoyable.

Plenty of recognisable species as well as some not so.

Yesterday evening, even though it was overcast, was particularly good.

Keith

Local Blackbirds start up about 04.00 at the moment. They are also often the last singing after darkness has fallen. I find this really reassuring and informs me that all is right with the world at that moment in time.

Yesterday I heard my first Green Woodpecker this year. However, it wasn't in my garden it was in a Torksey garden very close to the railway viaduct/bridge.

Phil 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Actually, I have just realised (doh) that the title of this Thread does not indicate that we should only 'count' birds seen around our garden. I am guilty of having mistakenly thought this, so now I'm going to report on sightings of any birds that could have been/ appear in my garden (and that, in the past, has included a pair of Mallard (yes, honestly). I will, of course, be absolutely honest.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Local Blackbirds start up about 04.00 at the moment. They are also often the last singing after darkness has fallen. I find this really reassuring and informs me that all is right with the world at that moment in time.

"Blackbird sings in the dead of night" Paul McC and Wings
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Blackbird sings in the dead of night" Paul McC and Wings

Blackbird wasn't actually a Wings song. It might have been performed by Wings of course. Paul McC also didn't have wings as far as I remember :sarcastichand:

It is actually "Blackbird singing in the dead of night".

You may wonder how I am such an expert on this? So do I !

Ar$e

• RMweb Premium

Male bullfinch tapping on the window and looking hopeful, wonder what it wants? Plenty of seed out there.

Picture by my lady wife of 40 years as of 10th April.

My AQ 29 BTW. 

post-25365-0-49734300-1461753722_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have just had a puzzle solved thanks to a sex show. Over the past couple of weeks I had been observing a pale 'milky coffee' colour bird very much like a Dunnock in size and behaviour, but lacking the orange legs. Thirty minutes ago it perched in a hedge just a dozen feet away, and I had the binos to hand. Still baffled, just pale milky coffee coloured all over, slightly paler on the underside, grey legs. And then a male blackcap came, (and presumably came) and 'thank you ma'am' promptly buzzed off again: so assuming that Mr Blackcap can reliably identify Ms Blackcap, even when she isn't wearing her brown cap...

(The only small bird I could find with a somewhat similar plumage to what I was seeing is the Eastern Chiffchaff, rare passage migrant in the UK, and too small anyway. Otherwise I might suspect that the hitherto unknown Blackstern Capchaff is about to evolve...)

• Like 2