The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

A couple of coal tits and a robin in the garden recently.

Last week in the warm weather we had at least 20 red admiral butterflies feeding on the rambling plant next door, the next day there were fewer and all gone by the 3rd day.

5 magpies are regular on the rooftops opposite, searching in the gutters.

Last night we heard a couple of calls from an owl close by but it's not regular.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

We have a particularly bold robin here. Will come right down onto the concrete apron even when I am out there working. Does not seem at all phased even by the pressure washer.

And the other evening at dusk, a nightingale took up a spot on the telephone wire just above for a good sing.

Our bird population which includes various tits, sparrows, wren and huge numbers of magpies, crows and ravens is doubtless so prolific due to a marked absence of cats in the neighbourhood. Most of the nearby houses are occupied by dog lovers.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

And the other evening at dusk, a nightingale took up a spot on the telephone wire just above for a good sing.

Are you sure it wasn't a blackbird? Round here blackbirds often sing at dusk.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nightingales should all be gone to Africa by now and don't sing after early June anyway (and usually from deep cover). More likely a robin as they sing in autumn to define and defend winter territories and will sing all night given artificial light.

Are there ever any exceptions to all these rules?

I know we get exceptions to North American and European birding rules when we get sightings of foreign birds on our shores.

It seems our regular birds are expected to religiously adhere to our birding rules.

• RMweb Premium

Have you got smartphones guys?

I use a little app called "Bird Up" to help identify song I'm not sure of.

Free trial and not too bad accuracy wise.

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Have you got smartphones guys?

I use a little app called "Bird Up" to help identify song I'm not sure of.

Free trial and not too bad accuracy wise.

How does it work with birds that imitate other birds?

Gone a bit quiet again here since the excitement of Herons, Kites and Black Cockatoos, even the Galahs and 28's have gone quiet. There is something new around that is breaking into song in the wee hours each morning about 0300 but I don't know what it is.

I Did hear the Kookaburras again this morning and the Zebra finches are still in residence as always and have been turning up in their droves, I've never seen so many Juves, although they soon scatter when the Magpie with the dodgy leg turns up looking for a piece of sausage or a bit of toast.

This Bottlebrush tree out the back is in flower and is attracting a lot of silvereyes and small honeyeaters but they are so small and quick and hide in the bushes so well that I cant seem to get any pictures for you blokes.

You will just have to believe Me that there are at least half a dozen in this shot :O

post-23233-0-91041000-1508401067.jpg

• Like 8

There is something new around that is breaking into song in the wee hours each morning about 0300 but I don't know what it is.

Its this time of year that the male willy wagtails sing through the night - maybe its one of those depending where you are.  I've got one that roosts in my Illawarra Flame tree and sings away, in the early hours.

I've just spent a few days away in the Blue Mountains. Very peaceful except for the occasional siren, truck air brakes and dog barking. When I went to check out the lady at the desk asked me if I'd heard their resident  lyrebird, I said I hadn't and she was surprised because it had been particularly noisy that week, doing its siren, dog barking and truck braking sounds. I wish I'd realised that it was a lyrebird because there was no way that I'd have picked it not being the real  occasional siren, truck air brakes and dog barking and I'd have recorded it.

I'm now guessing that most of the various bird sounds was from him too!

Lacking my own recording, here is a youtube clip  of one in action

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6

Its this time of year that the male willy wagtails sing through the night - maybe its one of those depending where you are.  I've got one that roosts in my Illawarra Flame tree and sings away, in the early hours.

I reckon you are onto it. We do have one or two that hang around and they do like to frequent the elm tree that the singing seems to be coming from.

I didn't make the connection as I haven't heard them singing during the day - just that chattering they like to make.

• Like 2

Its been a dry spring here, pretty much 2 months with no rain at all. So when Friday was a wet one, all the birds came out to wash the dust from their feathers. This is a Galah on the power lines outside my house.

post-22541-0-96211200-1508761989_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lots of Goldies, Blue and Coal tits in the garden today.

One new behaviour I've spotted is one of the sparrows (Sid) has been dipping wood pigeon feathers in the bird bath and flying off with them, anyone ever noticed this in sparrows or other garden birds (or should I recommend Sid for counselling?).

Edit: Nola informs me that Sparras reline and use their nests as roosts in winter, so I guess Sid was just washing his new bedding free of parasites.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 4